I'm helping a friend install some subs he has had for quite some time now, and I'd like to let him have an amp that I've been trying to sell for what seems like forever but I'm not sure if it will work.

He has 2 JL Audio 10w6 (old school version) and they're DVC 6ohm which means I can wire them to either get 6ohm impedence or 1.5ohm. My question is will the JBL GTO601.1 II amplifier work? It says maximum power at 2ohms and I've heard of some people wiring them at 1ohm, but it voids the warranty. Will this be a problem or should 1.5ohm be okay?

any help is appreciated

-John

with impedance rise due to box and as long as he can keep voltage, i don't see there being any issues what so ever.

except that amp is supposed to find a home with me, lol. trade ya kicker zx400.1 for it. i know it'll take the 1.5 just fine!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

with impedance rise due to box and as long as he can keep voltage, i don't see there being any issues what so ever.

except that amp is supposed to find a home with me, lol. trade ya kicker zx400.1 for it. i know it'll take the 1.5 just fine!!

haha well each 10w6 is rated at 300watts, so 600 watts at 2ohm should be perfect. Assuming that 400.1 does 400watts then that probably won't be enough... When you say keep voltage you mean battery wise, correct? Like keeping 14.4v consistently? I hadn't planned on doing the Big 3 to his truck since it's only 600watts, but do you think I should?

-John

the jbl gto amps will do 1 ohm all day. I had a 601, and a 1201 forever at 1 ohm. I got this info that 1 ohm is safe from JBL deirectly. I ran them for over 2 years, not even warm.

Edited by Breakjunki

the jbl gto amps will do 1 ohm all day. I had a 601, and a 1201 forever at 1 ohm. I got this info that 1 ohm is safe from JBL deirectly. I ran them for over 2 years, not even warm.

that's good to hear, I think you were the one that told me they were 1 ohm stable I was just wanting to make sure

-John

maybe :) It seemed to me to well built/beefy to not be 1 ohm stable. So I called JBL, they said no problem for 1 ohm all day. I guess it just keeps there warranty costs down from people with little knowledge and voltage drops :)

maybe :) It seemed to me to well built/beefy to not be 1 ohm stable. So I called JBL, they said no problem for 1 ohm all day. I guess it just keeps there warranty costs down from people with little knowledge and voltage drops :)

true, so you think Big 3 is smart? Stock Silverado with a 135amp alternator I'm guessing. Stock battery too.

-John

haha well each 10w6 is rated at 300watts, so 600 watts at 2ohm should be perfect. Assuming that 400.1 does 400watts then that probably won't be enough... When you say keep voltage you mean battery wise, correct? Like keeping 14.4v consistently? I hadn't planned on doing the Big 3 to his truck since it's only 600watts, but do you think I should?

-John

birthsheet showed it closer to 500 then 400, 485. but it won't compare to that jbl. the big 3 won't hurt at that impedance, i would do it. andyeah, a good battery always helps.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

birthsheet showed it closer to 500 then 400, 485. but it won't compare to that jbl. the big 3 won't hurt at that impedance, i would do it. andyeah, a good battery always helps.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Alright, I got him to buy some wire for the Big3. I probably won't be able to convince him to buy a yellow top since it's alot of money and this is basically as far as he's going with the truck audio wise...

-John

Is there a way to test the subs to make sure they work before we install everything and get silence?

-John

Sure, plug them into your system.

the GTO amps do handle 1ohm easily but may heat up

fast in the summer heat...

a little trick...mount the amp up on spacers so air can get in

around the heat sinks

(GTO amps have the heatsinks wrapping around the bottom of the amp)

Sure, plug them into your system.

That's what I was going to do, but I live 7hours away right now and I'd like to know if they work before going back home. That's probably what I'll have to do, if they don't work I'll just tell him to get some of those Mach1 $80 subs if they still make them

the GTO amps do handle 1ohm easily but may heat up

fast in the summer heat...

a little trick...mount the amp up on spacers so air can get in

around the heat sinks

(GTO amps have the heatsinks wrapping around the bottom of the amp)

Alright thanks for the tip

-John