Sign in to follow this  
MKader17

Adding a Supplement

We are now about to enter phase 3 of our workout. I have been working out for 8 weeks and just keep hovering 210 which I think I'm just fine with. For these last 4 weeks I really want to stress results in the gym. I'm am looking into adding a Protein/Creatine supplement just really don't know which ones would be right for me?

Thanks guys for your input

You don't need either.

Your daily diet likely has more protein in it that your body can 'handle' as it is. Remember, excess protein is converted and stored as fat.

As for creatine, I typed up a whole ton of info a while back ... should be in one of the threads in here. Worth the read I guess.

Everything these days is just the typical bodybuilding philosophy and influence. Unless you are going to be the next Jay Cutler or Ronnie Coleman, don't train like a bodybuilder.

Exactly, he doesn't need either. That's why it's called a supplement. What exactly are you shooting for though? What are your goals?

Thanks. How much Protein should your body consume in a day?

My goals for the last 4 weeks of my training program was too gain as much strength as a could before I started a different regiment this summer (Lean and Mean) I weighed in last night at 207lbs which is the lowest I have weighed in a few years my goal is to get this around 195-200 this summer and lose as much body fat as possible but in these last 4 weeks I wanted to at least maintain my weight and gain muscle

You don't need either.

Your daily diet likely has more protein in it that your body can 'handle' as it is. Remember, excess protein is converted and stored as fat.

Can you find some info on where this is found to be true? I'm super interested and skeptical. No offense, just wanting to learn

What I used to do when I was bulking for football season was I would try to shoot for 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. It is hard to do, but if you're lifting HARD you'll need it. ex: I'm 165lbs so I would try to get 247 grams per day. Normally I wouldn't get close to that. haha. That was good for a bulking.

If I was in your situation I would keep the protein intake up until the end of April. Do low reps with many sets. (3x5, 3x8, etc.) Get a good cardio routine set, but nothing too over the top. For now. When May roles around, switch it up. Keep a solid intake of protein, but look for a low fat one. At this point I would focus your entire routine around cardio. KEEP LIFTING. But make it a high intensity workout. Kind of like circuit training. (High reps and fewer sets.) As for actual cardio I would do a warm up on the treadmill, just a fast paced walk, or maybe the elliptical. After my workout I ALWAYS hit the stairmaster for 20 minutes on the highest setting.

Do your abs 3-4 times a week. Abs are easy to build, but for them to show you need to get rid of that fat!

That is MY suggestion. Right or wrong, it's what I did for my workout last spring/summer. It worked for me.

If you do want to take a creatine supplement I would suggest using a MICRONIZED creatine. I would stay away from monohydrates, too much water retention.

EDIT: I would also, in May, lower your protein intake a little from what you decide to do in April.

Edited by abxx

EDIT: I would also, in May, lower your protein intake a little from what you decide to do in April.

Why would you recomend to reduce protein durring a time when he would like to become leaner?

That's a verry new theory to me.

You're right, that didn't come out as I wanted it to...lol....maybe a leaner protein? A soy based one? But really a high protein intake is going to help him gain weight. If he wants to cut down, he's going to want to cut down on the protein shakes. A LITTLE.

For cutting tried and true is to cut sugar and excess fat, and maintain a good level of healthy fat. And keep the sugar and card under lock down. In my case everytime I increase my protein I loose fat. I don't care about actualy weight really but I loose fat. I'm also 6'2 and 260 when I'm verry lean. Right now I'm extra supper fatty fat fat at 310, but I'll be stripping off those lbs the next month or so. I could lie and say I was bulking, but that wou;ld be a lie just depressed.

To the OP in almost every trial I have heard of and in my own personal experience a great way to help you maximize fat loss but keep a lean muscular physique is to replace yoru carb and fat intake with LEAN protein, as in no sugar no fat shakes. Tuna, chicken breasts that you trim ALL the fat from etc.

If you like soy, more power to you, it may have some fat fighting properties, but it may also have estrogen like properties, I'm not convinced on either, but LEAN meat > than any other kind of food period for upping metabolism and maintaining muscle mass.

I COMPLETELY agree with you on the lean meats....definitely the best choice. I'm just the opposite with protein. When I start taking it, I start to gain weight. But it's a good weight that I'm gaining. (Lean muscle mass) I guess it really depends on how much you want to cut....do you just want to cut an inch or are you going Jay Cutler on us....haha

My diet last summer was zero sugars (like little debbie snacks and things like that) and i attempted to keep my fat intake less than 20g a day. some will argue with that, but i looked and felt amazing...(last summer...haha)

I COMPLETELY agree with you on the lean meats....definitely the best choice. I'm just the opposite with protein. When I start taking it, I start to gain weight. But it's a good weight that I'm gaining. (Lean muscle mass) I guess it really depends on how much you want to cut....do you just want to cut an inch or are you going Jay Cutler on us....haha

My diet last summer was zero sugars (like little debbie snacks and things like that) and i attempted to keep my fat intake less than 20g a day. some will argue with that, but i looked and felt amazing...(last summer...haha)

You sound like you have some great genetics. I have friends like you that I hate.

WHen I say no sugar etc, I cut out milk and anythign with sugar or processed grains basicaly anything with flour even.

Great genetics in the sense that my metabolism is very fast. =] BUT, I'm only 5'8" 165. I was at 180 when I played football, but I don't workout near as much as I used to.