Sign in to follow this  
DoubleJ

Box help for assassin 8"

Hello, I'm new to the forum and would like some help with a box for an 8" assassin. I was wondering if someone would be interested in designing a slot ported box for me that would fit in the following dimensions: 17" wide by 14" front to back. I am not too concerned with height, just dont want to go over 12" if possible. The box is going in a 2007 Frontier Kingcab, behind my driver seat. I think the specs on the AA site say .5@35, but have read threads where people are saying .6@40. I mainly listen to rock/alternative music if that helps with the tuning. I am getting ready to order a new one next week from the TeamSSaudio website, and would like to build the box before it gets here. I will be powering the sub with a Memphis 16-MCD250, 250W@2ohms.

Oh yeah I looked at the CA.com free box plans at the .6 @ 35 but the dimensions are a little too wide(19.5"). Thanks in advnce.

You can try this one.

AA8.png

3/4 inch wood after all displacements it is .526 ft^3 @ 33 hz, as recommended on the AA site.

After I made it in sketch up and looking at it I suggest you might want to consider moving the woofer to the left cause I'm not sure how close it will come to the port opening on the right. I just placed it in the center for aesthetics.

edit I forgot to put the top on it but just pretend its there and you can see through it.

Edited by bromo

You can try this one.

3/4 inch wood after all displacements it is .526 ft^3 @ 33 hz, as recommended on the AA site.

After I made it in sketch up and looking at it I suggest you might want to consider moving the woofer to the left cause I'm not sure how close it will come to the port opening on the right. I just placed it in the center for aesthetics.

edit I forgot to put the top on it but just pretend its there and you can see through it.

fing05.gif bromo, Thank you so much for that plan.

As for your suggestion about sub placement to the left, once I get the MDF cut I will mock it up and move it as needed. I'll post some pics as I make some progress!

Thank you again.

DoubleJ

You can try this one.

fing05.gif bromo, Thank you so much for that plan.

As for your suggestion about sub placement to the left, once I get the MDF cut I will mock it up and move it as needed. I'll post some pics as I make some progress!

Thank you again.

DoubleJ

No problem Just threw it together from AAs recommendations.

On a side note the port is 1 inch wide. I checked on the space between the port opening and the woofer cutout and it is only 1 7/8 of an inch. While theres 2 5/8 on the other side between the woofer cutout and the port wall (I must have miscalculated the center position). I would move it over to the left at least 3/8 of an inch.

On a side note the port is 1 inch wide. I checked on the space between the port opening and the woofer cutout and it is only 1 7/8 of an inch. While theres 2 5/8 on the other side between the woofer cutout and the port wall (I must have miscalculated the center position). I would move it over to the left at least 3/8 of an inch.

Will do, thank you again.

I just received my 8" AA assassin and when I opened the box it has a Fi dust cap and literature/sticker inside the box. Are AA and Fi one in the same? Not that it matters, just curious. Thanks.

JJ

Hey do you have that assassin hooked up yet? Im anxious to hear a review on those...keep us posted.

No I havent had a chance to hook it up yet. I've been really busy at work, and had to deal with a bad sinus infection so when I get home I just want to crash. I did go out tonight to mount the sub and drill holes for the tee nuts only to discover that I cut the mount hole a little too big. I think I should have went 7.25" instead of 7.5" I have about 1/16" to work with and I dont feel safe mounting that thing in there with just a sliver of wood on the other side of a screw. Oh well! I will get a quarter sheet of MDF this weekend and get it fixed. Shouldn't take long. I'll let you know once its hooked up how it works out.

No I havent had a chance to hook it up yet. I've been really busy at work, and had to deal with a bad sinus infection so when I get home I just want to crash. I did go out tonight to mount the sub and drill holes for the tee nuts only to discover that I cut the mount hole a little too big. I think I should have went 7.25" instead of 7.5" I have about 1/16" to work with and I dont feel safe mounting that thing in there with just a sliver of wood on the other side of a screw. Oh well! I will get a quarter sheet of MDF this weekend and get it fixed. Shouldn't take long. I'll let you know once its hooked up how it works out.

get that puppy fired up... i am anxious for a review.... i am looking at doing 2 of these 1 cuft ported at 28hz!

get that puppy fired up... i am anxious for a review.... i am looking at doing 2 of these 1 cuft ported at 28hz!

Finally I can give a short review as I have had some time to let it break in and test it out on some different music. Overall I am very impressed with it. For only feeding it 250W it hits pretty hard. I have this in a extended cab truck and what I wanted out of it has been met. I don't need the neighbors to hear me from around the corner unless I want them too, and they have a few times when I let it loose. It seems to respond very well to fast alternative/rock bass notes and can get very low while listening to rap. I think that if I had it anywhere other than behind my seat, I would feed it at least 350W and probably run 2 of them, as you mentioned you were thinking of doing. I say give it hell, and go for 2, I dont think you will be disappointed.

Finally I can give a short review as I have had some time to let it break in and test it out on some different music. Overall I am very impressed with it. For only feeding it 250W it hits pretty hard. I have this in a extended cab truck and what I wanted out of it has been met. I don't need the neighbors to hear me from around the corner unless I want them too, and they have a few times when I let it loose. It seems to respond very well to fast alternative/rock bass notes and can get very low while listening to rap. I think that if I had it anywhere other than behind my seat, I would feed it at least 350W and probably run 2 of them, as you mentioned you were thinking of doing. I say give it hell, and go for 2, I dont think you will be disappointed.

Weird the AA site says the cutout is 7.5". Did you use that design? If so glad you liked it.

Weird the AA site says the cutout is 7.5". Did you use that design? If so glad you liked it.

For the cutout, I had to go just a hair over 7 3/8" to get it in there. I just started sanding with 120 grit until it fit. Thank you again for the design.

i am looking at doing 2 of these 1 cuft ported at 28hz!

That's going to be WAY too low a tuning. If you want to tune that low on those subs, you may as well just go sealed. Same output and much better sound. Not to mention that the port required to tune 1cf to 28 hz is going to have to be bigger than the rest of the box by a considerable amount. I can't believe that you will be happy with that setup.

i am looking at doing 2 of these 1 cuft ported at 28hz!

That's going to be WAY too low a tuning. If you want to tune that low on those subs, you may as well just go sealed. Same output and much better sound. Not to mention that the port required to tune 1cf to 28 hz is going to have to be bigger than the rest of the box by a considerable amount. I can't believe that you will be happy with that setup.

well i do have a box set up with a 4" fully flared aeroport at 1 cuft 28hz and ( while i am not proud of this ) i had 2 eD 8's in it that sounded killer, but hey... its not the driver so much as it is the box right???

How do these perform,

I have been super impressed with Dual RE8's hell even single RE8 too.

These Subs are finally arriving here in New Zealand in 4 weeks time.

so hopefully i get my hand on them.

Sign in to follow this