Sign in to follow this  
cLutcH

Q vs. anything

hey big shot have you needed to upgrade your electrical I have the same amp and sub and have wondered if I would need to upgrade to be able to push my Q right?

The SSA Icon to me looks kinda weird. I couldn't buy that. The Fi's look pretty cool looking.

That is a first and very interesting post.

My plans are is that I want to get a 180 or 200 amp Iraggi Alternator with a yellowtop under the hood and a yellowtop in the back usng all 1/0 awg wireing. A single 15 in a wedge 2.6 cube sealed box. The Q15 with BP Power and have a Kicker ZX1500.1 amp powering it (1500 watts). Then maybe at the end of summer add a third yellowtop, a second Q15 w/ BP and another Kicker ZX1500.1. Perhaps dynomat so my trunk lid doesnt explode.. Do my plans sound okay?

The ZX1500.1 is probably a bit too much for the Q even with the BP option. I'd say it's more of a BL amp. It's not that you can't use it on one, just make sure you don't set the gain for max power other wise you'll be adding a recone kit to your list of things to buy. I say that because i own a 15" Q with BP option right now that i'm running off of a Kicker KX1200.1 and it's happy. So happy in fact that i wouldn't put anymore power to it than i have now. I like playing it loud and long and have no doubt i'd have fried the thing if i was sending it a few hundred more watts...

I wasnt planning on using the gain high or using the bass boost at all. I hear its nothing but bad.

As long as you're not getting into the clipping region of the amp or have a lot of inducted noise, the actual position of the gain knob is meaningless as long as you have the correct amount of power.

As long as you're not getting into the clipping region of the amp or have a lot of inducted noise, the actual position of the gain knob is meaningless as long as you have the correct amount of power.

For my electrical. I plan on getting a 180 amp alternator (120 idle). Big 3 Upgrade. And 2 yellowtops. I plan on still using the zx1500.1 for my amp. I just calculated that i can have a single 18 with around 7 cubes sealed. So yea im pretty excited. Im gonna upload pics as soon as I have progress on my stuff. Long hours at work keep me doing anything massive

The old gen SI Mag is almost unanimously regarded as a better sounding and louder driver than the Fi Q. The SI BM (old gen) is about as loud and has equivalent SQ. The Q is a great driver, but I would still go with Stereo Integrity.

The old gen SI Mag is almost unanimously regarded as a better sounding and louder driver than the Fi Q. The SI BM (old gen) is about as loud and has equivalent SQ. The Q is a great driver, but I would still go with Stereo Integrity.

I would agree with all of this :)

I blew my first Q off 900rms on low gains, no bass boost, so they said after the recone. Then got it back, put it in and sounded awesome for all of maybe 1 month. Then some how the edge of the cone and surround ripped, have no idea how. Like I said 900rms maybe and I know I wasn't clipping the signal and I had a grill on it. So how could it rip? No one seems to know. I loved how it sounded once broke in, but didn't last long. I want to recone it, but who knows. I hope you are happier than I have been with the Q line. I will be purchasing a new SI mag when they come out.

I blew my first Q off 900rms on low gains, no bass boost, so they said after the recone. Then got it back, put it in and sounded awesome for all of maybe 1 month. Then some how the edge of the cone and surround ripped, have no idea how. Like I said 900rms maybe and I know I wasn't clipping the signal and I had a grill on it. So how could it rip? No one seems to know. I loved how it sounded once broke in, but didn't last long. I want to recone it, but who knows. I hope you are happier than I have been with the Q line. I will be purchasing a new SI mag when they come out.

I had the same problem with the surrounds on the first Gen. AA Arsenal 12's, with only 600 watts going to each one. The surrounds only lasted three months, Must be the foam! Wasnt using any bass boost and only had gains turned up 1/4 of the way. I loved how they sounded and how loud they were for the price, but both surrounds seperated from cone 3/4 of the way around.

It was also double the price of the Q

The price of a new Mag is significantly less than they were before, and the performance is better ;)

dollar for dollar, I think the Q is the best bang for the buck...that is my opinion. If you are a DIYer and you take everything into consideration (cost, sq, spl, size, customer service, maintenance/repair costs, etc.).

I would recommend a Q to any DIYer. I did some comparison with some of the subs mentioned so far (W7, W6, IDMax, OZ Me, RE XXX XBL2, Brahma, DD (forget the exact model), RF, and Havoc). Some subs do some things better than others in certain applications. I haven't heard an RL-p or SS Icon so I really can't tell you what they do in comparison to the Q.

I can say the Havoc is a better all around driver but it retails for $140 more than the Q. Whether or not the extra performance is worth it is up to you.

I know most of my statements above are vague which means you'll probably be happy with most of the choices listed above. Except for the W6 and W7 which are waaayyyyy overpriced IMO.

The SSA Icon to me looks kinda weird. I couldn't buy that. The Fi's look pretty cool looking.

Odd...I always thought the Q's were a little lacking in the "looks" department. The sub is not visually impressive in any way. In fact, I believe that was my one of the tow initial criticisms of the Q in my first review. As far as sound goes, the Q will blow most people away.

dollar for dollar, I think the Q is the best bang for the buck...that is my opinion. If you are a DIYer and you take everything into consideration (cost, sq, spl, size, customer service, maintenance/repair costs, etc.).

I would recommend a Q to any DIYer. I did some comparison with some of the subs mentioned so far (W7, W6, IDMax, OZ Me, RE XXX XBL2, Brahma, DD (forget the exact model), RF, and Havoc). Some subs do some things better than others in certain applications. I haven't heard an RL-p or SS Icon so I really can't tell you what they do in comparison to the Q.

I can say the Havoc is a better all around driver but it retails for $140 more than the Q. Whether or not the extra performance is worth it is up to you.

I know most of my statements above are vague which means you'll probably be happy with most of the choices listed above. Except for the W6 and W7 which are waaayyyyy overpriced IMO.

Odd...I always thought the Q's were a little lacking in the "looks" department. The sub is not visually impressive in any way. In fact, I believe that was my one of the tow initial criticisms of the Q in my first review. As far as sound goes, the Q will blow most people away.

Most people care to much about how the product looks compared to how it performs, which is why most of the products on the market today are mass produced beautiful looking garbage. I dont buy a sub to look at it, especiallly since i drive a sedan and what ever sub i have at the time is facing the rear in my trunk, no one drives around with there trunks open and there radio muted saying look at my pretty sub. Girls dont get in my car and say, my god that speaker sure does look nice. More like, "your bass is making me moist, do u want 2 go some where and park".

Edited by boykroy

Girls dont get in my car and say, my god that speaker sure does look nice.

On the contrary, why do you think there's so many "My wife won't let me keep these speakers" for sale ads out there? :P:D

It's not because of the sound, that's for sure ;)

Most people care to much about how the product looks compared to how it performs, which is why most of the products on the market today are mass produced beautiful looking garbage. I dont buy a sub to look at it, especiallly since i drive a sedan and what ever sub i have at the time is facing the rear in my trunk, no one drives around with there trunks open and there radio muted saying look at my pretty sub. Girls dont get in my car and say, my god that speaker sure does look nice. More like, "your bass is making me moist, do u want 2 go some where and park".

I agree...why do you think JL tries to get $1000 for a 13W7? In certain applications, looks do matter. Like when you are doing all plexi enclosures for a pure show car.

I would guess that 99% of us here on this forum really don't give a sh1t about that crap. We just want the best sound possible since we are either hobbyists and/or enthusiasts.

Edited by bigjae1976

i think hes pretty much made his mind up he wants fi subs..which we can understand why they are great..so all we can do is just tell him what to run it with and how instead of keep mentioning other subs..on another note..i think i would rather run 2 subs on that zx 1500.1 instead of 1..you said later you where going to buy another sub and another amp..if you go with 2 subs then later on you will only need 1 amp..save you some money in the long run..

Sign in to follow this