TLM

13w7 Question??

My buddy has a 13w7 and burnt up a friggin voice coil on it with only like 1100 watts, how is this possible?? It wasnt overpowered, it was professionally installed in a ported box, and plus i thought it was supposted to be VERY difficult to do that to a w7??

wat kinda amp

my jbl 1200,(sold) will burn up anything..

DIstortion my friend distortion.

ahh i see, i dunno what model but it was a visonik amp i believe

Is he using a amp with a bass nob? And are your gains set to work with the Head units volts.

High gain + DB nob = death of your woofers.

Sometimes "professionally" isn't always the best thing. There are a lot of shops that don't know what they are doing. Was there any bass boost on? Also, how far up were the gains?

Hopefully you can send it back to JL to get reconed. If its under warranty just bring it back.

No warranty, hes the second owner, but I dont know any other details, just glad it wasnt me!!

he might be in luck tell him to keep the receipt of the install.

and just email jl about the situation.

Thats what i did wt my 1st jbl amp. THey didnt ask for a receipt for the amp only a reciept from the place taht tried to fix it.

Sp tell him to email the company and say they installed it wrong blah blah blah

Heres the thing, it wasnt installed at a shop, our friend is a professional installer but he just put it in as a favor in his driveway so that wont werk

well ...hmm u coiuld always tell them the truth, be like it was installed by a prof. but as a favor. And just hope for the best i mean most car audio people will give the benefit of the doubt because they want u to contiue to like there company. Besides they could always get a recone for 50 or so bux.

Heres the thing, it wasnt installed at a shop, our friend is a professional installer but he just put it in as a favor in his driveway so that wont werk

what kind of tools did he use to set the gains???

jamie

what kind of tools did he use to set the gains???

no idea, i wasnt there, like i said this is my friends sub

i just feel bad cuz the thing was so friggin expensive lol

Okay, you guys keep talking about distortion, but think about this. What causes the coil to fry? Heat. Once it reaches thermal limit, that's when you have problems. Now does distortion add heat? If he was sending 300 distorted watts to that puppy, would the coil fry? Nope. There are many many variable that could have led to this, but the only thing that would fry the coil is too much heat.