When building a common chamber ported box for four subs do I take the suggested enclosure volume for the sub and multiply it by the number of subs.

ex. A sub requires 1.25 cub. feet minimum. The enclosure is going to have 4 of these subs does that mean that the box should be 5 cubes since 1.25 x 4 = 5

In that case which would be better for spl . . . . 4 KICKER CVR's sealed or 2 KICKER CVX's ported on 1200wrms?

No idea...SPL is installation dependent :)

Although in most sanctioned organizations, those two installs would be in very different classes. Just something to think about.

There are too many unknowns to answer it based on that alone.

No idea...SPL is installation dependent :)

Although in most sanctioned organizations, those two installs would be in very different classes. Just something to think about.

I'm sorry I didn't actually mean competing. When I said spl I just meant which will be louder if they are installed in a box fit to kicker's standards.

What kind of vehicle? Tuning on the ported box? Size of the ported and sealed enclosures? We can't say for sure, but these questions would help give a better estimate.

What kind of vehicle? Tuning on the ported box? Size of the ported and sealed enclosures? We can't say for sure, but these questions would help give a better estimate.

The box would be a console in a 92 gmc southern comfort sierra 1500. Gross cubes on the enclosures will be 3.5-4cubes. The tuning would be somewhere around 35hz. I know this is kinda vague but I'm trying to do this for someone and he says that these are his two choices in subbs. It took over an hour to convince him that he wasn't gonna have room for the 4 cvr's ported.

I would like the 4 sealed, you'd have less of a chance of running into power compression that way.

I would like the 4 sealed, you'd have less of a chance of running into power compression that way.

what do you mean by power compression?

Every sub when installed has a point, no matter what theory may tell you, where adding more power doesn't correspond with an increase in SPL as much. Adding more power beyond that in an attempt to get more SPL might work for a time, and if you know what you're doing, but if you don't know what you're doing could be harmful to the subs.

More cone area allows you to better utilize the power, so you aren't as hard on fewer drivers.

Every sub when installed has a point, no matter what theory may tell you, where adding more power doesn't correspond with an increase in SPL as much. Adding more power beyond that in an attempt to get more SPL might work for a time, and if you know what you're doing, but if you don't know what you're doing could be harmful to the subs.

More cone area allows you to better utilize the power, so you aren't as hard on fewer drivers.

well said,

why Kicker for Spl ?

not the best for what your trying to do...

CVRs burn way to easy / the CVXs break off where the cone meets the coil if you over power it...

as for common chamber build a deviding wall between the subs the depth of the sub to help loading the port...

hitts harder that way

without devideing walls with 4x 15" SS T4s

did a 149.3db

added walls did a 154.1db

i.e.

without

P1010278.jpg

with

P1010304.jpg

P1010303.jpg

P1010305.jpg

Edited by Lord Baccus

well said,

why Kicker for Spl ?

not the best for what your trying to do...

CVRs burn way to easy / the CVXs break off where the cone meets the coil if you over power it...

as for common chamber build a deviding wall between the subs the depth of the sub to help loading the port...

hitts harder that way

without devideing walls with 4x 15" SS T4s

did a 149.3db

added walls did a 154.1db

i.e.

without

P1010278.jpg

with

P1010304.jpg

P1010303.jpg

P1010305.jpg

I am doing one of those setups because that is the two choices that the guy has. He said that he can get them at a great price. I'm just doing the box.

What kind of use? I didn't look at the sub but if that is a minimum cf then it will be tight sealed, where the same ported cf will go deeper w/half the drivers. Myself I have built the sealed and went to larger ported because I hated the sound, it was too hard to crossover as the rolloff was huge....but that's just me and depends on sub in question.