ILuvJDM

Any 99-06 Silverado owners on SSA

I currently have a single ICON 12" powered by a SAE-1000D. It's fun and everything but after I tell people how much money and time I spent on it, they're not THAT impressed. Not once has anyone said it sounded bad, but they just have heard louder. They all say it sounds amazing (SQ wise) and say it can hit lows impressively compared to their generic kicker subs etc....

Anyways I was wondering if there are any pics or build threads of Silverados without a backseat and a tasteful box in it's place. I'm still debating on what to do, but I have no problem taking out the backseat and having a 2 seater truck, because if I had it my way I would've gotten a regular cab short bed anyways...

Should I get 2 15's or something like 4 12's? I'd personally like to use one of my current 12" ICONs and just get another used one that's certified and hasn't bee beat on cause I know they have potential, just not in an underseat box. Also I could either get another SAE-1000D and strap them, or just get a 3000D but that may be overkill for the ICONs. I hate having this much invested into a substage to have it be mediocre because it's in a small underseat box that has 2.0ft^3 of airspace, but hardly any room behind the sub to get good excursion. My driver barely has any excursion compared to videos I've seen of ICONs with half the power mine is getting. I've seen that video of the Sante Fe on the ICON rides page that is making windows vibrate on the adjacent building with just 2 15's and a 1500D. If I did go with 2 15's that would be cheaper than say 4 12's since most 15's are like $30 more than the 12" version.

I'd also have to get a better alternator, yellow top and by summer I should have the Pioneer D3 unless they have a new model since they're discontinuing the D3 in April. I'd love to get front speakers too with a simple Sundown 100.4 or something.

Thoughts? If you read all of that I appreciate it, I'm just really curious what I should do. I'd like to make this a discussion thread about everything involved with this project and hopefully I can become more educated than I currently am.

-John

Edited by ILuvJDM

Something like this, but not as extravagant. I want it to be tasteful, Function > Form

265963136.jpg

258865499.jpg

dsc01427yg4.jpg

trucksystem.jpg

-John

how attached are you to your back seat? do you have kids or alot of friends that travel in the car with you? also what i have seen is people keep the back seat, throw subs under the seats AND in they take out the center meaningi nstead of seating 3 people in the back you can only seat 2 because in the middle they have installed another sub..some can do it in the console so its hidden some dont hide it..

I have no dependency on the backseat, cause like I said if I had it my way I would get a regular cab 2 seater truck anyways. I'm 19 and I usually don't drive to parties or whatever because then I worry about my truck getting messed with by drunk kids...

I'm willing to take out the backseat, I guess the main thing this thread is asking is whether it's worth it or not. I'm not sure how loud a truck can get, but I know SUV's can slam and you would never put just 1 12" in a Tahoe under the seat for SPL. I guess I don't want to spend all this money on a set-up that will not meet my expectations. 2 15's or 2 12's to really get loud? Strap another SAE-1000D or get like a 3000D?

I have heard a truck that had 2 RE subs ( can't remember which line) powered by I wanna say an Traeo amp? Does that ring a bell? I didn't get much info on it cause i just stood by the door but damn, the whole dash was flexing near the window. He had a pretty clean looking box. It has the subs firing towards the floor with ports facing out and the amps were mounted on top.

I'm not sure why I made a thread about this, I guess I wanted to see some pics of boxes in the back and whether or not it can be done tastefully. I want a sub stage that makes people go 'damn.' I think another 12" ICON will do the trick in a bigger box that isn't downfired with another SAE-1000D, but if I'm loosing the backseat and building a huge box, then would 2 15s work better? maybe 1 18?

-John

There's a blazer on here with 4 12" ICONs and that thing is insane. I was watching the hair tricks and those ICONs can sure get down even with only 3000watts for 4 subs.... I think 1800Watts for 2 12" ICONs will be loud and still sound damn good because I love the way the ICON sounds, especially on just normal driving volume. Good clean, solid bass. I'm just unsure if I should get 2 15's instead... Get 2 15's and another SAE-1000D strapped for about 900RMS/sub. Should be plenty to move some air correct? I want something that makes hair move, but I'm not sure if that's possible in a truck...? next question is should the subs face towards the front windsheild like the boxes above or should they be fired towards the floor?

-John

Edited by ILuvJDM

A pair of 15's in that small an air space will really get crazy. I think mrray13 and jntar would be two good people who own or have owned a truck in that years you listed. Not sure if ///M5's truck is that year or not.

A pair of 15's in that small an air space will really get crazy. I think mrray13 and jntar would be two good people who own or have owned a truck in that years you listed. Not sure if ///M5's truck is that year or not.

it is, but he's more SQ kind of guy. I'm just skeptical whether 2 12" ICONs can get really loud. All the impressive videos I've seen have been 3-4+ 12" ICONs. I know 2 15's can get crazy loud, so I guess I'm asking which to get :puzzled: If I'm going to take the back seat out and make the truck 'impractical' I might as well go big or not do it...

-John

Edited by ILuvJDM

it is, but he's more SQ kind of guy. I'm just skeptical whether 2 12" ICONs can get really loud. All the impressive videos I've seen have been 3-4+ 12" ICONs. I know 2 15's can get crazy loud, so I guess I'm asking which to get :puzzled: If I'm going to take the back seat out and make the truck 'impractical' I might as well go big or not do it...

-John

There are videos of 10's getting loud. Just based on that, it should support the 12's output case. ;)

-John

lol trust me 1 12 or 15 can do some damage check out this video of a 15'' sub in a ported box http://www.teamssaudio.com/video/memberprofile.php?uid=32 check out the 2 videos to the right also this was just intstalled a week or so ago

http://www.caraudio-forum.com/video//play.php?vid=119

http://www.caraudio-forum.com/video//play.php?vid=118

Edited by denalilvr

-John

2 12" ICONs can get loud, trust me, i've "quality tested" them in a variety of boxes. Just make sure you have a box thats fits the correct specs and give them a good amount of port area to work with and you can't go wrong.

From the sounds of it though, 15's might be more what you looking for. Put them in a 7-8ft^3 box with 100in^2 of port and 1500d (sundown, kicker, RF, etc..) that equation should get you more then what your looking for.

2 12" ICONs can get loud, trust me, i've "quality tested" them in a variety of boxes. Just make sure you have a box thats fits the correct specs and give them a good amount of port area to work with and you can't go wrong.

From the sounds of it though, 15's might be more what you looking for. Put them in a 7-8ft^3 box with 100in^2 of port and 1500d (sundown, kicker, RF, etc..) that equation should get you more then what your looking for.

alright, so should I sell my 1000d and get a 1500d or get another 1000d? I figure the 2 1000s would give more power, but then again all the videos I've seen have been with the 1500 which means only about 750watts/sub. For simplicities sake, maybe a 1500 would be better for simplicities sake.

I wonder if it's possible to make a box for 12s and assuming I get tired of those in a year or two, I can cut out the holes and fit 15s...? Unless the tuning and box specs wouldn't be the same. I'd hate to want to upgrade down the road and have to get another huge box built. Then again I do have faith in these 12's.

-John

Edited by ILuvJDM

lol, your problem is that your truck just isn't loud. trust me. i've thrown everything but a wall at my old silverado. including a s18x and a hk4000d. there is potential, but it will be work.

if you're going to remove the backseat, go 15s minimum, maybe see if mark will hook you up with a pair of the new SSA 18s that are coming out. grab at least a 3000d, maybe one per, upgrade the alternator and add a couple of batteries and you'll have what you are looking for.

i just threw my old box in a 2002 xcab with a maw 12 and a memphis 250d. dude is loving it. it's very loud for what it is, but again, he's limited by the backseat amongst other things. xcab silverados just aren't loud compared to their tahoe cousins.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i guess the first question is..whats your budget like? how much are you willing to spend?

I still think two ICON 15's and two 1000d's strapped would be the perfect set up. Sounds like thats what your going for right? You won't be able to build a box for 12's then just cut bigger holes, the specs I had in mind for you was a 7.5ft^3 box tuned @ 33hz, that should do the trick very nicely for you.

On a side note, I just got in one 15" D2 ICON (blue dustcap) open box, brand new never seen power. First $229 shipped takes it!

i gotta agree 2 icon 15's with 2 sundown 1000 watt amps in a ported box sounds great..

lol, your problem is that your truck just isn't loud. trust me. i've thrown everything but a wall at my old silverado. including a s18x and a hk4000d. there is potential, but it will be work.

if you're going to remove the backseat, go 15s minimum, maybe see if mark will hook you up with a pair of the new SSA 18s that are coming out. grab at least a 3000d, maybe one per, upgrade the alternator and add a couple of batteries and you'll have what you are looking for.

i just threw my old box in a 2002 xcab with a maw 12 and a memphis 250d. dude is loving it. it's very loud for what it is, but again, he's limited by the backseat amongst other things. xcab silverados just aren't loud compared to their tahoe cousins.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Did you ever take the backseat out and just put a huge box in it, or did everything you do involve retaining the backseat? Wouldn't what I had in mind be about the same as a wall, or are there some physics that I'm not understanding?

i guess the first question is..whats your budget like? how much are you willing to spend?

I don't have a set budget to go by, I would be willing to spend whatever it takes to get the job done. BUT I don't want to spend like $5000... I may work on Headunit/front stage and then do this substage build next summer. I would like to bag the truck first and foremost, but we'll see.

I still think two ICON 15's and two 1000d's strapped would be the perfect set up. Sounds like thats what your going for right? You won't be able to build a box for 12's then just cut bigger holes, the specs I had in mind for you was a 7.5ft^3 box tuned @ 33hz, that should do the trick very nicely for you.

On a side note, I just got in one 15" D2 ICON (blue dustcap) open box, brand new never seen power. First $229 shipped takes it!

yeah I think the ICON 15's would be perfect. 18 is a little too big for me, seems a bit extreme.

I have a vision in my mind, and I want you guys to tell me if this will work and be practical.

2 ICON 15s

2 SAE-1000D's

High Output alternator

Yellow Top or some kind of car audio battery

I already have 1/0 gauge run to the back of the truck, so I'm thinking a distribution block split to 2 4ga one to each amp. I also have the Big3 done in 1/0 gauge. I will hopefully have the Pioneer D3 unless they make a new model and I will get that. I was really tempted by the SAX-100.2 deal going on right now so I may get one of those and buy front speakers to match that. I want decent mid bass because if I do get 2 15's then I'm not sure how they will sound on low daily listening volume, so I'd like my front speakers to fill that gap.

-John

Edited by ILuvJDM

I need to go to a car show and listen to some quality systems to see what is needed and what the outcome is. These videos only go so far because once the bass is so loud, it just sounds like wind blowing in the camera. I need to hear some stuff in person...

thanks for all the help and recommendations so far

-John

yeah I think the ICON 15's would be perfect. 18 is a little too big for me, seems a bit extreme.

I have a vision in my mind, and I want you guys to tell me if this will work and be practical.

2 ICON 15s

2 SAE-1000D's

High Output alternator

Yellow Top or some kind of car audio battery

I already have 1/0 gauge run to the back of the truck, so I'm thinking a distribution block split to 2 4ga one to each amp. I also have the Big3 done in 1/0 gauge. I will hopefully have the Pioneer D3 unless they make a new model and I will get that. I was really tempted by the SAX-100.2 deal going on right now so I may get one of those and buy front speakers to match that. I want decent mid bass because if I do get 2 15's then I'm not sure how they will sound on low daily listening volume, so I'd like my front speakers to fill that gap.

-John

sounds good man get a 250-300 amp alt, i've only used ohio generator i think they are called..are expensive though..i hear great things about excessive amperage i was quoted $500 for a 300amp alt http://www.excessiveamperage.com/

2 icon 15's on 2 sundown 1000d's compliment each other very well...under the hood id keep the factory battery and on the side throw in a yellow top...dont waste time with caps..get some good wiring and your good to go..also i dont know what kind of speakers you have but it was brought to my attention folks here only like to do there fronts..if thats you then maybe just buy a set of components for the front i myself like to do the whole truck..but what you've posted for your vision is really good man..

sounds good man get a 250-300 amp alt, i've only used ohio generator i think they are called..are expensive though..i hear great things about excessive amperage i was quoted $500 for a 300amp alt http://www.excessiveamperage.com/

2 icon 15's on 2 sundown 1000d's compliment each other very well...under the hood id keep the factory battery and on the side throw in a yellow top...dont waste time with caps..get some good wiring and your good to go..also i dont know what kind of speakers you have but it was brought to my attention folks here only like to do there fronts..if thats you then maybe just buy a set of components for the front i myself like to do the whole truck..but what you've posted for your vision is really good man..

yeah I've never been fooled by caps, I won't waste my money on them. I have the Factory BOSE system and I plan to rip everything out of the truck (headunit, amplifier, speakers) and get my own. I was told to just focus on front speakers in an extended cab, but I guess I could get a 4 channel and get rears as well. This is going to turn out being a full blown build thread so I'm going to have to play it by ear as far as budget goes. I would like to do everything mentioned above with some deadener and other tidbits to make it be a really nice build.

First on the list is getting my interior up to par since that's what I see when I'm driving. This will include Katzkin leather seats, Escalade gauge cluster and the AVIC-D3. Then I think I will focus on bagging the truck since that's a huge part of what I love and then this build will take place. I need to quit going all out on Audio while the rest of my truck is neglected. Now that I got it figured out, by the time I get around to doing all of this some better product will probably be out :P can't wait though fing05.gif

-John

Edited by ILuvJDM

john..

i've pulled the backseat out. and if your after hair tricks and such, i just don't think a pair of 15s and 2kwrms is going to cut it. like previously mentioned, i ran a square 18 with ~4kwrms and couldn't pull hair tricks in my silverado. best score was a 144.4 legal. maybe with a perfect enclosure and the stars aligning right, it could be done. but from my experience, the xcab silverado just flat sucks for loud.

as far as the wall goes, i was referring to a full on wall. what you are talking about doing, and from the installs pictured, you wouldn't even be doing a half wall. though a half wall with a pair of 15s might help. but i actually tried to create a "crx" enviroment in my truck, ie: used sub up, port back with a false wall on the rear cab, to increase spl. while not adding a bunch to the score, it sure did reach low, lol!

in any case, i'll help where i can. and good luck!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

yeah i ma just say screw it and realizse a truck isnt made for SPL. I turned the ICN a few notches past whatits tuned for and it soudndde pretty good but i doubt that's safe... it was nice and loud htough. made my hair and nose tickle.

happy birthday to myself by the way :drink40:

-John

yeah i ma just say screw it and realizse a truck isnt made for SPL. I turned the ICN a few notches past whatits tuned for and it soudndde pretty good but i doubt that's safe... it was nice and loud htough. made my hair and nose tickle.

happy birthday to myself by the way :drink40:

-John

no, don't give up! hell, maybe you'll achieve what i couldn't, a 150 legal with no wall in the truck. the icons and sundownz are badass, maybe they'll work. my s18x off an orion 2500d, then the hk4000d made it hurt. sitting in the truck was painful. the lowend was plain ungodly. and while lowend don't seem to mike well, lol, it sure does shake shit. like buildings. other cars. brain stems. that shit i could do with ease. (and i miss that)

so go for it. even if hairtricks aren't accomplished, a pair of icon 15s and a strapped pair of sundownz 1000ds will surely make the earth move a bit. of course a couple of those 18s sealed and a 3000d??? or ported even, muhahahaha..

oh and HBD!!! hope it's a good and safe one!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

yeah I don't honestly want something that can move hair, but that was just to give an idea of loud. I want something that can make stuff shake. Then again I'll probably grow out of this phase by the time I bag the truck and actually have money for a nice substage haha

-John

my 12" ssd in a 2.1^3ft @32hz off a hifonics bxi1206d with stock electrical makes things shake

knocks stuff off peoples wall too, but i have the box on top of my back seat.