Sign in to follow this  
Croz

Question about the Mag

Ive heard somewhere (i cant remember where) that you cannot physically blow a mag..... Is that true?

even with 3kw and the volume all the way up? :blink:

just something i wondered when seeing the post that someone put that much power to one.....

haha, i think that the person you are refering to is me. i have a tru H-1 on a mag 15. and yes a tru is capable of upwards of 3kw, however, with my charging system i am not getting that much out of it. i am drawing 94 amps of current peak(that is the most i have seen it draw), and that is taking my voltage to the high 11v. so i am only getting about 1200 watts with my charging system the way it is right now.

as to blowing a mag, it is definitly possible. i have seen a few blown coils, and seen some re-cones nick has done. there was even one mag that was blown off a JBL 1200.1. it is definitly possible to thermal the coils on the mags, just takes some work ;)

as for bottoming out, you CANT bottom the 12's. no matter how much power. but you can bottom the 15's. i havent done it(yet), but i know that it can be done :)

i dont know who has actually put the most power to their mags, but i would be interested to hear actual power sent to them :) . i have had 1800 watts going to 4 12's, and 1200 watts to 1 15". anyone else?

1.2K to a 15 in 2.3 cubes. Slams!!!!

Soon to be, 1.2K to the other in 4.? cubes tuned to 30.

as for bottoming out, you CANT bottom the 12's.

well i suppose that answers my question, im so excited..

my plans, are for buying my 15" mag on payday next friday!!! :wub::D

YAY i cant wait, now all i need is a box...... :(

and... i got a few questions for ya actually... about the 8s mostly. my computer sub sucks.

how does...

2.9 cubic feet tuned to 30hz sound for the 15", wil that be good, or should i get a bigger box?

or...would a 15" sealed with 2.45 cubic feet work better

for now i will only be giving the sub 350 watts (mtx thunder 4250d) untill i can afford either the lanzar opti 1000.1D or the viper 1200....

which will be better after i get my new amp....

how does...

2.9 cubic feet tuned to 30hz sound for the 15", wil that be good, or should i get a bigger box?

for now i will only be giving the sub 350 watts (mtx thunder 4250d) untill i can afford either the lanzar opti 1000.1D or the viper 1200....

do yourself a favor and go with the sealed if you havent got the room for at least 4 cubes ported. i was at 3.2 perr donn's design and it was not enough, IMO, but it wanged like hell. you could definitely tell it wanted more.

im starting to wonder about donns box for the XXX -4.5 cubes at 29 hz...

how does...

I had a 3 cube enclosure tuned to 28 lying around, so one day I decided to throw my 15 in it. BUTT!, well, not butt, but it wasn't anything but amusing. She just needs more air. Now, my buddy's car has his MAG 15 in 2.3 cubes sealed and you can't even sit in it for an extended period of time with the volume at a decent level. It's really sick. The low notes will crush your kidneys. Honestly, I had a heart attack sitting in the car. <-----------My impression on a NEWB.

Now, my buddy's car has his MAG 15 in 2.3 cubes sealed and you can't even sit in it for an extended period of time with the volume at a decent level.  It's really sick.  The low notes will crush your kidneys.

3 cubes sealed will be delightful... :D

well yea, you can call me a newb...considering ive never made my own box or sub...but i do know alot about car audio dont get me wrong...anyway i think im going to find someone to make me a 4cube box (hopefully wont cost too much)

well yea, you can call me a newb...considering ive never made my own box or sub...but i do know alot about car audio dont get me wrong...anyway i think im going to find someone to make me a 4cube box (hopefully wont cost too much)

My bad dude, I wasn't trying to call you a Newb. I just looked at my post and it was supposed to say, "of" instead of, "on." Do you have the tools available to build your own? I would suggest it if you do. Best way to learn and the most pleasure!

well compared to everyone else here, im just beginning my journey into car audio, so really i dont mind being called a newb cuz thats what i am...

anyway i dont have the proper tools and ive never done it before, so instead of messing up really bad and wasting alot of time and money (cuz i know it wont turn out right thats just my luck) ill go somewhere and buy a box or have someone make me one..besides it would cost lots of money to get the right tools, probably alot more than just buying a box..

Actually you can find the right tools relatively cheap. I would say the total investment in the tools and the wood for your first enclosure will, probably equal if not be less than the cost to have one made.

And then you have everything already the next time you want to make an enclosure.

even if i did go and buy all the tools, i dont know the first thing about tuning ports, or calculating the enclosure size or any of that stuff, so i think im pretty much S.O.L for making one...i dont know perhaps im just afriad it wont come out right.

even if i did go and buy all the tools, i dont know the first thing about tuning ports, or calculating the enclosure size or any of that stuff, so i think im pretty much S.O.L for making one...i dont know perhaps im just afriad it wont come out right.

Never fear, we can tell you everything you need to know. Go to the subwoofers section here and you will gain a ton of knowledge. There are also a lot of online resources for figuring out volumes and port sizes and tuning. There's even a box program available that you can use to figure all this out without having to do the math. It's called WinISD. Do a search for it and DL it, then start learning. Where are you located? Perhaps someone is near you and can give you a hand.

hmmm.....*thinks* maybe, just maybe i wil attempt it, i live in ohio, about 15 minutes from cleveland. What tools will i need anyway, a router, some 3/4 MDF, thats all i know that i need...*goes to the subwoofer section to look up stuff*

i think with all of your help i may be able to pull it off (hopefully)

i guess the fisrt step is telling what im building..

well im building a ported 4 cubic foot box fora 15" Mag

ive got plently of trunk space as i drive a 94 grand prix se 4dr .

i ran it through a box calculator i just want to make sure i am correct, ive come up with LxWxH= 30x16x14.5

to get 4 cubes

how do i know how long to make the port after that?

and do i just make the port out of MDF also>? or do i need a pvc tube to do it

Tool #1: Circular saw or table saw. Circular saw is cheaper and just as effective. Get yourself a nice straight edge to use as a guide for the saw.

Tool #2: Tape measure. The most valuable tool in the whole equation.

Tool #3: Drill. Cordless or powered will work.

Tool #4: Screwdriver. For the screws, duh.

Tool #5: Jigsaw. The cheap and easy alternative to cutting holes, and odd designs.

Tool #6: Router. While not necessary, it becomes an advantage as your skills progress and opens up a whole different world of design.

Those are about the basics.

Tool #7: Drill bits. A necessity. You can purchase a combination pilotbit/countersink for simplicity, but I prefer to pilot with a 1/8" bit, then go back and countersink 1/4" with a 5/16" bit.

As far as enclosure design, you will have to take into acount the displacement for the driver and port(s). This is the volume the driver and ports will take up in the enclosure.

Now, let's say the Magnum will displace .1 cubic feet. Then you have tomake the box 4.1 cubic feet. Subtract the volume for the driver and you have a net of 4.0 cubes.

Next you'll have to take the port into consideration. Say the port displaces .25 cubes, therefore you have to add another .25 cubes to make up for the space the port will take up.

What are the extreme dimensions of your trunk? Give me those and I can actually plot out your enclosure for you on BAssBox Pro and let you know every cut you need to make.

Also, as far as ports are concerned, they can be made of virtually anything. Slot ports are easiest to design/build, while PVC seems to be most economical..

dimensions of my trunk

length is 34 inches

width is 40 inches

and hieght, is 15 an 1/2 inches (yea i know, tight squeeze for a 15" Mag)

perhaps i should make it a slight angle?