fuzzyping

Which electrical component to upgrade next?

I'm trying to determine what my next step should be. My 2002 4Runner has a Sundown Audio SAX-100.4 on the front components, and had a Sundown Audio SAZ-1500D on the subwoofer. However, it appears my wiring is insufficient as I burnt the 1500D a while back (running sub-less for months now). I'm not sure what steps I should take to avoid this in the future. I have the stock battery and alternator, with 4-gauge to blocks and 8-gauge to each amp. In hindsight, this is terribly inadequate, but we only learn from our mistakes. :)

What steps should I take next? Should I add a dedicated run from the main battery to the 1500D? If so, which gauge? Should I do the "BIG-3" or install a 2nd battery in the back? I presume it's some combination of these, but I'm clueless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-fp

Heck, Dave's running an MS1000, Sundown 100.2, and Sundown 1500D off of one run of Kicker 1/0 from the battery in the front, but then again none of those amps are being taxed especially hard.

I would start with a run of 1/0...

I'd do what Jim suggested. Start with a run of 1/0awg. I don't know what part of you was ok with running a 1500w amp off of 8awg.. but that's just a no no. No wonder it toasted itself.

Buy a spool of 1/0awg, do your main run with it and split 4awg to each amp. Complete the Big 3 if you have 1/0awg left over.

I was (and mainly still am) a beginner with electrical capacity planning. So I should plan on ripping out the 4awg, installing a new run of 1/0awg, then re-using the 4awg for distributing to the amps?

Thanks,

-fp

I was (and mainly still am) a beginner with electrical capacity planning. So I should plan on ripping out the 4awg, installing a new run of 1/0awg, then re-using the 4awg for distributing to the amps?

Thanks,

-fp

Yeah, that would be an ideal situation.

Or leave the current 4ga. use it for your 4ch. amp and use a dedicated 1/0 run for your saz-1500d.

I would definitely upgrade the battery/alternator when they fail.

I like that suggestion above. You could consider upping the battery too.

I like that suggestion above. You could consider upping the battery too.

X2

If you have one stock battery I'd try to upgrade it or add another. Remember when they get older they don't have as much power.