buickid

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X792, any thoughts?

Looking at the KDC-X792, looks like its got all the right features. 3x4v preouts, USB/iPod connection, aux connection, 2nd aux option, PAC wire, attenuator, 24 bit DAC, and the oh-so-handy Attenuator aka "Oh s... a cop" button.

I like how it looks, and it sounds like I could integrate it well into my future car, with the USB jack replacing the stock iPod connector, and rewiring the stock 3.5mm AUX input to go to the HU.

Anyone have any experience with the Excelon HU, especially the 79x series? SonicElectronix has it for $229.

Your thoughts on Kenwood in general? The Alpines don't really float my boat with all the buttons bunched up on the side.

Edited by SteveSan

thats a good looking unit...kenwood makes decent units but ive never liked them for my money..ive always gone alpine or pioneer premiers

I used an x791 for the better part of last season to compete in db drag. Its a great deck with all the features you need. I now use an x891, has a few more features and its a bit prettier. 5v preouts and RDS and that kinda thing. Over all i am very happy with the 791 and 891 and i bet the 792 is even better. I love having the usb on a pigtail off the back of the HU, it makes for a much cleaner look than having it on the front. and the 3.5mm aux input on the back is also a great feature. My only complaint is that it wasnt compatable with my changer lol.

Ahh, good to know someone has used one of the 79x HUs.

I think I will pick one up when funds allow. I won't be using a changer, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks everyone! :)

-Trevor

Looking at the KDC-X792, looks like its got all the right features. 3x4v preouts, USB/iPod connection, aux connection, 2nd aux option, PAC wire, attenuator, 24 bit DAC, and the oh-so-handy Attenuator aka "Oh s... a cop" button.

I like how it looks, and it sounds like I could integrate it well into my future car, with the USB jack replacing the stock iPod connector, and rewiring the stock 3.5mm AUX input to go to the HU.

Anyone have any experience with the Excelon HU, especially the 79x series? SonicElectronix has it for $229.

Your thoughts on Kenwood in general? The Alpines don't really float my boat with all the buttons bunched up on the side.

I'm thinking about buying one myself. I'm interested in the sound quality, how does it compare to other sq units ?

If you're concerned about SQ, I'd pay attention to the crossover and EQ functions unless you have outboard units that can take care of that.

If you're concerned about SQ, I'd pay attention to the crossover and EQ functions unless you have outboard units that can take care of that.
I bought a kicker kq-30 for that. I also have a Butler Audio tdb 2150 for the front stage.

the crossover and eq on the 791 are good, and if they put the xover and eq of the 891 in the 792 its VERY good.