Sign in to follow this  
Smondo17

Peerless HDS

Would crossing these tweeters over at 1200 be to low? Has anyone had any experience with them? Also how much power do they like?

With an Fs of 700Hz, 1.2k is a bit low.

Are you putting them off-axis or on?

You might be able to get away with 1.8, but remember, your slope needs to increase as you go lower in Xover points or power handling is going to go down, a lot...

You will have to underlap anyways so you don't need 1200!! Just because the w18e falls off there does not mean your tweet should go that low :(

ite well i have no idea at this point. these speakers are just pissing me off. m5 what would u cross the w18s and hds at. i have a sundown 100.4 and been having this conversation for months it seems.

Very install dependent. I already told you what to try at least once, maybe twice. Underlap a lot and work your way together to see what sounds best. Without being in your car I can't really get more specific. You will need to try all different slopes and phase combinations as well. It literally takes hours, which typically translates into days or months to really nail it down.

A logical starting point: W18 LP 1000Hz :: HDS HP 1800Hz then work your way in. For starters I'd use 12dB but would expect that you will have to try all variations of slopes and points to nail it in.

Newb Question - if the headunit provides a 12db slope and the amp also gives a 12db slope do they add together to get a 24db slope?

Edited by Smondo17

Personally I'd never mix crossovers. If you could guarantee an exact crossover point (which neither can nor will) then it would be possible to use them to add slopes. In reality it never really happens that way.

Get a headunit with built in crossovers...those off board analog devices are not flexible enough quickly enough for the difficult driver you are trying to use. If you want to use something like that sell the Excels and get the CA18rnx's instead as they are much more filter friendly.

Then you should sell it and buy a different one. An off the shelf x-over is not a good solution for the drivers you have selected.

That eclipse cd7200mkII is sick.

WoW, I agree, I like it a lot... I'll have to check on the price later today... I know I have my 8455 again, but it might take a back seat to this new piece.