Sign in to follow this  
jonbearsmt

poppin 250 amps on saz 3000d

check it out, i know sum of you know what i have but lemme get it out of the way.

3 yellow tops,

200 amp alt

1 run of 0 gauge front to back

2 2/0 ground

saz 3000d

2 bl 15's

3 250 amp circut breakers.....

when i let it wang..... for maybe 10 mins on a constant bass song say i donno somthing young jezzy my circuit breaker between my amp and cell pack pops...,,, my voltage is 13-13.5

this is how my cable goes...... cells.... 15 inches of 0 gauge... circut...3 feet of 0 gauge... amp.

jacob.. should i change some chit around? or step up to a 300 amps breaker........

ps NONE of the others are tripping

If you wang on it hard enough it'll trip a 250 amp breaker - step up to a 300 amp breaker.

thank you sir!

really?

i got 1 250a fuse, wt an atomic 5000, have yet to pop at fuse?

weird?

Fuses are by no means accurate :)

Bigjon's circuit breaker is just set to trip off at a value closer to the specified current, your fuse has more leeway...

Using some paper-napkin calculations, here's why:

Assume you're getting 3000 Watts, and assume it's about 80% efficient. That means with power loss through heat, we're talking about 3800 W, or 280 Amps at 13.5 Volts.

As JimJ said, fuses are by no means accurate, not to mention they type we use (if I remember correctly) are slow-blow type. Periodic current draw of 280A might make it through your 250A fuse, but give it some time and it will fatigue and blow. Larger fuse needed.

1/0 awg wire can be fused up to around 325A :)

ibanender did some tests a few years ago with maxi fuses when meca started the fuse crap and depending on brand was getting 5-10sec burps of 300a through a 50a fuse

i know one of the guys on my team ran a 3000D on a single 150A ANL daily.. thats what he needed to compete in his class. so we never took it out.. and it held for probably 3 or 4 weeks of daily playing.. we clamped the power wire behind the fuse at around 300- 320 amp... so yeah fuses are not accurate..

I'm running 3000D daily on 80 amps worth of fusing...

16 five amp fuses FTW!!

BTW, I do this so that I can be in MECA Mod 2 and it happens that I can run it daily that way.

If I were you, I would ditch the breakers and go with some ANL fuses. I used to run breakers forever ago and as soon as they get a little warm, they trip real easy. Once they trip several times, they get weak and you can trip them with half of their rated current. At least that has been my experience with them.

If I were you, I would ditch the breakers and go with some ANL fuses. I used to run breakers forever ago and as soon as they get a little warm, they trip real easy. Once they trip several times, they get weak and you can trip them with half of their rated current. At least that has been my experience with them.

This is something I have noticed with my bench power supplies... once I trip the break quite a few times it trips easier.

ok...... point taken... i just bought a new 300 amp breaker yesterday... so im gonna check that out........ but from what im reading.... what meca class would a 300 amp breaker put me in.

I wouldnt try MECA with a 300 amp breaker MECA is all about who can use the smallest fuses and do the bigest number

I wouldnt try MECA with a 300 amp breaker MECA is all about who can use the smallest fuses and do the bigest number

ooo i see... as you can see i know nothing when it comes to comps... i want to get into winning.... but i donno if having all these extra battries and bug breakers will hurt me...

can i compete with street beaters... cause thats all i am.

then Bass Race is for you

whats that like 60 seconds of music right....

could also do db drag, my next build will be for db drag and bass race.

my orion 2500d pops the 300A breaker thats on it, once and a while... at full tilt for a few minutes...

well, showing off I mean.

thinking about running dual 200A breakers for mine...., would for sure on a 3000d SD.

I run 250amp fuses to my 3000D's and have NEVER had one blow, but my gains are set under 1/2. Maybe set the gain a bit lower?

I run 250amp fuses to my 3000D's and have NEVER had one blow, but my gains are set under 1/2. Maybe set the gain a bit lower?

mine is set under half aswell... if you run fuses.... we already covered that fuses are tollerant

Sign in to follow this