Sign in to follow this  
Smondo17

New Little Project for College

Thinking of making a 2.1 system for my dorm. I am going to use an logitech plate amp so im looking at around 200rms for the sub channel. I was looking at the 8 inch Assassin, but i'm not sure if i should go for a 10 inch. What would be a good SQ sub either 8 inch or 10 inch. My main goal is for it to be a clear sounding sub that can get much lower then the stock logitech setup

Edited by Smondo17

Thinking of making a 2.1 system for my dorm. I am going to use an logitech plate amp so im looking at around 200rms for the sub channel. I was looking at the 8 inch Assassin, but i'm not sure if i should go for a 10 inch. What would be a good SQ sub either 8 inch or 10 inch. My main goal is for it to be a clear sounding sub that can get much lower then the stock logitech setup

The 10 can run in a pretty small box and will sound GREAT.

I did a HT with a pair of assassin 12's and a pair of 250 watt plate amps. It is awesome. . .

IS this HT or music? Also is this just for a dorm or will you want to take it with you, as in do you want to spend some bucks and make it a system for life?

Not looking to make a system for life, but i will keep it for most of my college. Mainly going to be used for music purposes but will throw some movies through it every now and then. I am thinking about a MAW 10 inch woofer and building these: http://zaphaudio.com/SR71.html

Need a box design for the sub, ported, with a cut out for the plate amp which i have to measure for the specs

It depends on your needs, but if I were in your shoes I would find some amazing 8 out there. I think RLi-s are out of stock.. not sure though.. those would work. I suggest them because you can do some amazing things with them and if you want to be small.. you can be small. If you want bigger... well you can be.

Thank or the new Mag sounds pretty darn amazing for small enclosure set ups.

Well i have 200rms to work with. I am fine going with an 8, i wanted to originally. I was thinking of the assassin, but not sure how low it could go. Want something that will go low with nice SQ thats why i was thinking sealed, but the output is still tempting if i go ported. Opinions?

Not so sure I'd do an 8 sealed, unless you have nearly no space...which brings up a rather important question. How much space do you have?

So far we know, 200rms, music/occasional movies and a small room. Budget, space, what it will be blending with, listening preferences and such will help a lot.

I have enough room to have a ported enclosure. Nothing ridiculous in size, but i have the space that is necessary to have this driver sounding good. I am going to match it with those SR71 design from zaphaudio. Musically preferences is mostly rap, hip hop and techno. I'm willing to spend 100 - 200 for a sub driver.

Space isnt an issue its going to be for a laptop setup. An 8 or a 10 would be fine. Box could be whatever size it needs but not to big that i cannot move it etc.

Just realized you said a logitech plate amp. If so, that 200w is really probably 15 :(

Also even if that isn't the case knowing what impedance it runs at is 100% necessary.

It is the z560 plate amp. Supposely 188rms amp regardless i think its enough to push a MAW 10 considering in that build i posted he used a 70rms amp. I cant find what impedance the amp is anyone know? Other amps on logitechs website is mostly 8 ohm.

Edited by Smondo17

It is the z560 plate amp. Supposely 188rms amp regardless i think its enough to push a MAW 10 considering in that build i posted he used a 70rms amp. I cant find what impedance the amp is anyone know? Other amps on logitechs website is mostly 8 ohm.

70w is good for moderate listening levels. Obviously if you want it to pound, you will need much more power. I thought about that and there are binding posts and a switch if ever I want to use it with an external amplifier.

No way that thing puts out 70w, if it were rated using normal amplifier specifications my guess is less than 10w.