Sign in to follow this  
scizzle

Jl audio opinion?

What do you guys think of the W7's other than there expensive? and W6's compared to W7's.

not impressed.

The W6v2's are some of my favorite subs.

I don't like the W7's.

I don't like the W7's.

What would be the biggest difference between the two?

I don't like the W7's.

What would be the biggest difference between the two?

They're very different in design...the W7 has much more output potential and power handling ability, but I'm not a fan of how it sounds...regardless of price. Price doesn't come into my thoughts of it at all, it's cheap compared to some drivers out there.

They're very different in design...the W7 has much more output potential and power handling ability, but I'm not a fan of how it sounds...regardless of price. Price doesn't come into my thoughts of it at all, it's cheap compared to some drivers out there.

What about the icon 12 vs the diamond audio 12 and the w6 forgive me for not righting the exact models. I do know that the continous power rating is different on all of them I am just looking for your opinions.

What do you guys think of the W7's other than there expensive? and W6's compared to W7's.

The past few years I've tested a number of W7's and found consistant break up at different frequencies where it appeared to be a weak spot or gap in the drivers performance. Fairly minor nit picks overall. Sure, in my opinion, there are equally capable drivers out there, however, The W7 series is still by far a great driver worth the current price. ---> Bear in mind JL Audio does a lot of in house R&D.

The tried and true W6 line has stayed true since introduction. Magnificent drivers, rugged, reliable, and accurate.

I'd honestly consider the W6's JL's "Flagship" series, as they have stood the test of time from one generation to another. I'd venture to say that if you have problems with the W6 line, they are likely user related!

Overall, I don't really think that JL Audio has made a true "bad" speaker yet. Sure, some are obviously better than others; but in my experience with their products (and there has been a hell of a lot! ) they have always performed fairly well, and I have no regrets.

The past few years I've tested a number of W7's and found consistant break up at different frequencies where it appeared to be a weak spot or gap in the drivers performance. Fairly minor nit picks overall. Sure, in my opinion, there are equally capable drivers out there, however, The W7 series is still by far a great driver worth the current price. ---> Bear in mind JL Audio does a lot of in house R&D.

The tried and true W6 line has stayed true since introduction. Magnificent drivers, rugged, reliable, and accurate.

I'd honestly consider the W6's JL's "Flagship" series, as they have stood the test of time from one generation to another. I'd venture to say that if you have problems with the W6 line, they are likely user related!

Overall, I don't really think that JL Audio has made a true "bad" speaker yet. Sure, some are obviously better than others; but in my experience with their products (and there has been a hell of a lot! ) they have always performed fairly well, and I have no regrets.

Cool Thanks

I had an old school JL Audio 12W6 and that thing was probably my favorite sub so far. In the transmission line the sq was crazy and output was like two 15's. People didn't believe me that it was a single 12 and 250 watts sounding that good and getting that loud

I had an old school JL Audio 12W6 and that thing was probably my favorite sub so far. In the transmission line the sq was crazy and output was like two 15's. People didn't believe me that it was a single 12 and 250 watts sounding that good and getting that loud

<-----------Had that experience on many occasions!

Old school doesn't mean useless. With some brands, older is even better!

(If only Fosgate could figure that out!)

Edited by zane

From my experiences, I have nothing bad to say about JL. Their products CAN be expensive, however most are worth the money imho. I have JL comps and I love them. I had a 10w7 and it's a good sub. Clean with a good low end. I do especially like the W6vs. Every time I have heard them they never cease to amaze me. Most of the installs I have heard with the w6v2 are daily drivers of people trying to be loud. Regardless they sound clean and controlled.

The w7 is a good speaker but I would take other high excursion HO subwoofers over it. Like my Brahma :)

The tried and true W6 line has stayed true since introduction. Magnificent drivers, rugged, reliable, and accurate. I'd honestly consider the W6's JL's "Flagship" series, as they have stood the test of time from one generation to another. I'd venture to say that if you have problems with the W6 line, they are likely user related!

I will certainly agree with this statement.

I've been using a trio of old school 10w6's in my car for almost 10 years now and they still sound superb for my needs. They're being amplified by an old school MTX Thunder 2300 (about 900 watts after all's said and done). They're in a sealed enclosure that's firing towards the cab, right against the back seat, which isn't even ideal for most trunks, but it still works. I would have put them as far back in the trunk as possible facing away from the cab, but when I was 18, I didn't know any better, doh.

You won't be disappointed in the w6's!

-Bio