shizzzon

An odd deadening scenario with rear wall

So, i've been sound deadening for weeks... honestly. The weather changes everyday.

Well anyways, i'm pretty close to being done with my Scion tC.

For kicks, i show people just how much this stuff works.

I have been applying 3 layers of Damplifier everywhere.

When i applied it to the walls in the back seat area, i would go outside of the car and bang on the car, super stiff! No resonation or hollow sounds at all!

I am now working on the rear hatch walls.

I had got done doing the driver's side and banged on it from the outside and stiff as can be.

I just got done with the passenger side wall today and when i went outside to bang on it... it sounds like i havent even put any on it!

So i stuck my hand WAY up in there and found a section, probably 8" tall by 16" long that was bare. I took 3 more sheets cut to that size and filled that bare spot up.

I then retested the bang method and same result, very hollowish and resonating like crazy from the outside.

The problem here is my port is going to be firing directly on this wall for 4kw of power!

Anyone ever experience this before?

I pushed my body weight against the car as much as i could then started banging on it again and it seemed to help alot but man!, how many more layers does this wall need? 3 layers and nothing so far.

Possibly some spectrum to solve this?

No real other ideas man.

J

well, i got to foolin around and comparin one wall to the other.

The wall that's fine has the gas cap there which probably acts like a brace.

The other side, if i put my hand right where the gas cap would be if on that side, press hard in that spot, the WHOLE side of the car stops resonating when it's being beaten so i'm gonna try a couple things just in that area. Spectrum is a good idea but due to the amount pressure needed, might even need sludge there.

Hopefully sludge can stick to walls without falling.

Put up some pics, let's see your hard work! What do you plan on doing with the tC audio wise? I know its a SPL setup seeing your talking about 4k! What kind of components?

Edited by sick6ness

People keep thinkin i'm going to compete.... i understand why but this is my daily driver.

I actually have 2 AQ HD3 15s from a previous install... i'd LOVE to use them in this car but i can only freakin fit one in the back, even with the spare out and everything. After the batteries and amps, the MOST i can get for 2 15s is like 5.5 cubes... that aint enough.

Now.... i "could" extend the front of the box over the back seat by permanently folding the backseat down but i don't wanna do that.....do i?

My plan is to run 8 Audioque SD2.0 8s off of 2 AQ2200ds.

That's how it stands for right now. I got room for that.

I've been comparing a LOT of setups.

I'm tryin to keep the sub quantity to not surpass 100lbs due to weight issues in the car.

8 of these i think weighs 104 lbs.

I've compared the following setups-

4 DC Lvl 3 10s

3 DC Lvl 4 12s

1 AQ HD3 15

8 AA Assassin 8s

3 Fi BL 12s

2 AQ HDC3 12s

Out of all those, i strongly believe 8 of these 8s are going to be the loudest of them all.

DJ told i can tune as high as 37hz and still drop right under 30hz without problems with these 8s due to their suspension system. Tuning that high saves space inside the box which allows be to run up to 8 of these.

The only thing that comes close to surface area is 3 12s but Fi's are a lot heavier and DCs are more expensive than 8 of these 8s are.

Edited by shizzzon

Guest zedman

Can you spray expanding foam up there and inside of a thick plastic bag? it would help cut down the space and put pressure on the panel.

hey man, i wanna come by and check it out. and what happened to getting my set-up metered? i mite need your help on sound deadening the roof cus it seems like your in the sound deadening mood.

nothing ever happened really.

If you would have asked me that week, i would have said no because of how i felt.

The pain comes and goes so you just have to ask and i'll do it, dying or not, hehe.

Oh, and i was told the exact same thing about the foam thing.....

Only problem is, i dont think i'm putting the side panel back on to get more box room and if i dont put that panel on, there is no where for foam to "fill". It would be a forever gap!

Tape it off first, spray foam then remove the tape and you could even cover it with a layer of damplifier to make it look all perdy

nothing ever happened really.

If you would have asked me that week, i would have said no because of how i felt.

The pain comes and goes so you just have to ask and i'll do it, dying or not, hehe.

Oh, and i was told the exact same thing about the foam thing.....

Only problem is, i dont think i'm putting the side panel back on to get more box room and if i dont put that panel on, there is no where for foam to "fill". It would be a forever gap!

so im guessing you never got that stomach-pain problem fixed? man that sucks. ill give u a pm sometime soon. if you feel like it then sure but if you don't its cool.

oh i can probably do it anytime, i just cant eat anything before leaving just to be safe.

Been waiting almost 3 full weeks for ultrasound results.

Called twice, doctor has never returned my call.

I'm in a stage right now where i am on a thin line of being able to control the pain.

If it really starts affecting me bad, real bad again like it has in the recent past or some new bad symptom occurs, i'm goin half-psycho at the doctor's office, i'm not playin.

I will go right in there and go off. The medicine they give me doesnt work, 2 different prescriptions so far, the results aren't in, i could be gettin worse, sometimes i feel like i definitely am and no one returns my calls.

That's a good reason isn't it?

dude i would raise hell. its the least you could do in this situation. do and say everything in person.

Shiz

i have a tC as well and am about to start deadening today... Which area are you talking about that your having issues with ?

I'd like to tackle that first while i am enthusiastic about it...

Also did you deaden the headliner area around the glass ???

Edited by theabunai