Sign in to follow this  
blazin22's

1 or 2 btl 18s for 4000watts

Well ive been wanting to go with btl's for along time and finally i got my money together. I have an RF 4000.1bd amp that i will be using for my setup. My question is...would that be to much for one 18btl?

Will be going in my daily driver. I was going to get D1's incase i plan on adding a second later(which i probably will)

Also if i run just 1 18 for now off that amp...would setting the gains on the amp to bout half or lower be alright? I dont wana throw to much power at it n mess the sub up.

i wouldnt advise running that much power to one of those for daily in terms of, that's the normal level you plan on playing them at.

I don't think they can handle that much power all the time.

i wouldnt advise running that much power to one of those for daily in terms of, that's the normal level you plan on playing them at.

I don't think they can handle that much power all the time.

so would u suggest going with 2 18's then? ive seen people put 2 autotek mm4000s on 2 18btls before with no issue. i was thinking if i have the gains set right (1/2 or below).. on the amp i should be ok... imo... looking for as much advice as i can get.

i think that 1 btl will take that that kinda power... .. and it wont be a full 4k.. it will be 3k or so...

i would say a pair of 18 inch BL's

you know Meade runs 4kw amps to each of his.

But you also must know that he doesnt go around jammin it at that level either all the time.

The BTLs only have a 3" coil.

That right there is a thermal limit that you just cannot surpass.

How long is it going to take before that sub starts to overheat?

I don't know but i, again, do not recommend doing that.

3kw FULLY LOADED on the old BTLS were the MAX recommended by experienced users who have owned the BTL before.

The new BTLs are comin soon.

Who knows if they can handle more power thermally... only time will tell.

so you think that 1 18btl would be able to take that kind of power... i really had my mind set on btls i know if i do 2 im looking at a BIG box. i would only run the one btl for awhile untill i got another... then i think id be in the clear

i know it can take 3kw daily unclipped.

4kw brief periods, again unclipped.

2kw with slight clipping allowed... SLIGHT clipping.

you know Meade runs 4kw amps to each of his.

But you also must know that he doesnt go around jammin it at that level either all the time.

The BTLs only have a 3" coil.

That right there is a thermal limit that you just cannot surpass.

How long is it going to take before that sub starts to overheat?

I don't know but i, again, do not recommend doing that.

3kw FULLY LOADED on the old BTLS were the MAX recommended by experienced users who have owned the BTL before.

The new BTLs are comin soon.

Who knows if they can handle more power thermally... only time will tell.

ive seen his vids around n what they can do... as far as going around and jamming it all out all the time... no thats not the idea n i would not be doing that because i know that would shorten the life of the sub. only time i would really wang on it is at comps other than that it would see moderate volume not all out all the time.

If you can fit two 18s, why not just do that anyways, regardless of amp power? :)

BTL's will definitely pound on 2kW each, why not get 2 and relish in all the extra displacement as an added bonus to the fact that you'll be better safe than sorry with 2.

If you can fit two 18s, why not just do that anyways, regardless of amp power? :)

BTL's will definitely pound on 2kW each, why not get 2 and relish in all the extra displacement as an added bonus to the fact that you'll be better safe than sorry with 2.

i definatly agree with you creyc.. i was planning on doing 2 in a wall in my blazer xtreme... i was just asking to see if i could run the 1 for now off that am until i get my money together for the other.

Edited by blazin22's

the btl will take the 4k whith a smile.... you just need the elec. system to back that up...........also if your going to buy them one at a time and there going to be d1 just run the amp at 2ohm load to be on the safe side til you get the 2nd sub(im running my btl 18's off of saz3000d's one amp per sub)

the btl will take the 4k whith a smile.... you just need the elec. system to back that up...........also if your going to buy them one at a time and there going to be d1 just run the amp at 2ohm load to be on the safe side til you get the 2nd sub(im running my btl 18's off of saz3000d's one amp per sub)

yeah thats what i was thinking about doing. ive talked to a few other people about all this and they suggested the same. Id probably just wire it up to a 2ohm load until i got the second btl.

But if you don't run at least 5000 watts to a BTL it will not sound good. . . .HAHAHA

If you have room, (2) will be awesome on 4000 watts.

At the same time, I beat the crap out of mine on 4000+ each all the time and don't have a problem. If I get the volume up where I know the amps are clipping, I smell the coils every once in a while. If I keep the power clean, I have played them full power for long periods of time without any problems.

Brian

But if you don't run at least 5000 watts to a BTL it will not sound good. . . .HAHAHA

If you have room, (2) will be awesome on 4000 watts.

At the same time, I beat the crap out of mine on 4000+ each all the time and don't have a problem. If I get the volume up where I know the amps are clipping, I smell the coils every once in a while. If I keep the power clean, I have played them full power for long periods of time without any problems.

Brian

well i do have the room for 2 (if i leave back seats down) in my blazer. i was planning on running 2 eventually. im open to box ideas.... 1 sub id probably do a 7cf box tuned @ 31-35hz

possibly run 2 of them sealed (the Bl's)...doesnt that generally allow more power??....just throwin the idea out there

possibly run 2 of them sealed (the Bl's)...doesnt that generally allow more power??....just throwin the idea out there

i think it was john that said quote "it's an spl sub if you seal it I AM A keeel you!" lol

um gains are not volume knobs.... who said that youd have to turn it up to that point... gains are set accordingly to your decks pre outs voltage. i personally had experience with a btl off 3000 watts and played it straight right before clipping for at least 30 minutes at a time on bass songs with no problem. i o -scoped it so i knew where i was clipping at. i think it couldve took at least 3500rms of unclipped generally easy with the right box and settings. if you dont wanna worry about blowing anything and play it as long as you want, then id just get the 2 btls although youd be underpowering them imo but still get quite loud...

why would he wanna go sealed with bls. obviously that would not even be a good idea with what he is trying to get outta this system

thanks for the imput stealth... i have 1 btl on the way... i just gotta find me another one to match it(so anyone have a 18btl D1 lemme know) i was just told by sum1 that i could run that amp to the single sub but would have to have the gain on amp down.... Same person said they had 2 autotek mm4000 to 2 18btls..... i was planning on running the 1 sub off that amp at a 2ohm load...which would be around the 3000watt range.. n with gains down i would think id be ok.

thanks for the imput stealth... i have 1 btl on the way... i just gotta find me another one to match it(so anyone have a 18btl D1 lemme know) i was just told by sum1 that i could run that amp to the single sub but would have to have the gain on amp down.... Same person said they had 2 autotek mm4000 to 2 18btls..... i was planning on running the 1 sub off that amp at a 2ohm load...which would be around the 3000watt range.. n with gains down i would think id be ok.

yeah your rockford is probably gonna be putting out around 4600 or more at 1 ohm at 14 volts. very good amp. but your gonna have imp rise, dont know how much though. make sure you get someone to set your gains on an oscope. so you would know about what volume level that your amp starts to clip since your gonna try and get as much outta that amp as you can since you gonna get 2.

but for now run it at 2 ohms and you'll be fine. FROM what ive experienced FI underrated this sub by plenty. it took about 2500 to even get one going. im not sayin it can handle a billion watts but you get my point

but for now run it at 2 ohms and you'll be fine. FROM what ive experienced FI underrated this sub by plenty. it took about 2500 to even get one going. im not sayin it can handle a billion watts but you get my point

Well i finally got my btl yesterday!!! Box wise a friend is building one for it... 6cf @ 34hz i believe. As for sub on said amp.. id wire it up to a 2ohm load so it'd see round 3k or less.

for sure two subs for daily, if in a comp and trying to stay in a certain class I can see only running the one sub and trying to push it, but no need for that if you're running a daily setup. Biggest thing is keep your voltage up and your gains set correctly, that way your amps run cool and at their lowest distortion levels, distortion kills speakers, not power.

dont seal those bls

Sign in to follow this