Sign in to follow this  
SplFiend

Optimal enclosure size or bigger subs?

Well, i've figured out that I can fit a 5.5 cu box in my trunk, now i was originally going to go with two 15" btl's but after taking measurements, it seems like my trunk would be more suited for two 12" btl's. My question is, which would sound better/be louder/hit lower freq's better in a 5.5cu ported box? they will be tuned at about 32hz

Any help would be appreciated, thankss

How much port area? You have dimensions? Maybe aero ports could get you a little more airspace.

I run my BTL's in slighty under 3 ft^3 each tuned to 34-35 Hz and they sound great.

Brian

Go with 12s definitely. With BTLs your port will probably consume at least 1 cu ft of that box. (approx 63 sq inches area x 30" long) That gives you 4.5 cubes for two subs, or 2.25 each after porting.

Remember install accounts for maybe 90% of the final product. Tuning higher could help reduce the port volume a tad. But fitting two 15s in that small of air space will hamper their performance, while 12s or a single 15 will shine! :)

Edited by creyc

which would sound better/be louder/hit lower freq's better

What you're looking for is impossible...

Go with 12s definitely. Remember install accounts for maybe 90% of the final product. Fitting two 15s in that small of air space will only hamper their performance, 12s will shine! :)

I agree x2

Sign in to follow this