Sign in to follow this  
ARSkemp

Just Got my 15" FI Q a couple days ago

I'm very happy with the quality of this subwoofer. Right now its in a sealed enclosure ~ 2.5 ft^3 after displacement.

My old subwoofer was a 12" Infinity Perfect VQ in a sealed box as well. I was basically looking for more output, but still wanting it to sound just as good as my old sub. The Q fit perfectly, and it sounds just as good as the infinity i had before, only louder. I haven't tested it on alot of music, but their are some rock songs i have found that i actually prefer the sound of the Q over the infinity on lower volumes as well.

Overall, I am very satisfied. I am thinking of trying a ported box (~3.5 @ 31hz) for the hell of it, since i have only had experiences with sealed alignments. The general consensus from what i hear is that it will be louder, but will not sound as good or have as much of a "natural" sound to it. Some say its a noticeable diff in SQ, some say it isn't. Since I personally have not heard one (other then cheap subs in prefabs) I think i'm going to build one, and then decide which box I like better.

Sorry i dont have any pics yet but im going to try to find someone w/ a camera since cell phone pics do no justice.

The Q will slap the infinity all over the place while laughing at it

youd be suprised my two q's are in a ported box tuned to 32hz and it sound pretty musical

I got bored with my Q10 in a sealed box so i built a ported box. 1.2ft^3 tuned to 28hz (because I screwed up) and it really is musical and sounds great. the only thing is I tuned it too low so it has an un-natural response curve where the upper end of many basslines in a little weak then WHAM the lows hit and dosent sound quite right. But it plays White Girl by Young Jeezy AMAZING! Id say try it ported, I think you'll like it.

I got bored with my Q10 in a sealed box so i built a ported box. 1.2ft^3 tuned to 28hz (because I screwed up) and it really is musical and sounds great. the only thing is I tuned it too low so it has an un-natural response curve where the upper end of many basslines in a little weak then WHAM the lows hit and dosent sound quite right. But it plays White Girl by Young Jeezy AMAZING! Id say try it ported, I think you'll like it.

Was there a huge difference in output when switching to ported from sealed? Because I only have around 1.5ft^3 to work with and i'm debating between a Q10 ported or a Q12 sealed and I'm trying to figure out the difference in output between those two. Sorry if I hijacked the thread.

Was there a huge difference in output when switching to ported from sealed? Because I only have around 1.5ft^3 to work with and i'm debating between a Q10 ported or a Q12 sealed and I'm trying to figure out the difference in output between those two. Sorry if I hijacked the thread.

Not a huge difference but noticeable, expecially on the lows when tuned so low. Truthfully though, if you listen to all types of music, I'd go with the 12'' sealed.

Now that I have been trying to design a box I am debating whether I can give up that much space. Does anyone know how would my current box (2.5 sealed) which is on the higher end of the sealed recommendation compare to a smaller ported box (3-3.2 @ 32hz).

I listen to mostly alternative rock and some rap (like 80% rock, 20% rap). I am just not sure if it will be too peaky in that small of an enclosure...

Edited by ARSkemp

Sorry i dont have any pics yet but im going to try to find someone w/ a camera since cell phone pics do no justice.

my cell phone takes better pics then any cam i have had but then again the phone is only 2 months old its a LG trax :)

finally found a camera, pics still aren't that great but whatever:

88986003wr5.th.jpg

63598032dg2.th.jpg

22400443uc4.th.jpg

95279461gg7.th.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with it.

I carpeted it on friday, somewhat happy with how it came out since it was my first time carpeting anything. This is all temporary though, im hoping to do something with fiberglass over the summer.

Sign in to follow this