Sign in to follow this  
JazzScreamer

2007 Altima Build Log

The project has begun. My first step is to make the car a bit quieter and eliminate some possible rattling and ambient noise for a future system and just plain comfort. Here's what I got so far.

Supplies:

2 Rolls Raamat

45 sq.ft Vertex Barrier (will be here soon)

Ensolite (will be here soon)

I've installed the two rolls of Raamat in the cabin floor, back seat, and all four doors. I still have about a 1/4 roll left that I will use on the doors before I install the Ensolite.

-Floorboard has two or three layers all around. You will notice that not every inch is covered in my install. There are several solid spots in the cabin of the car and I couldn't justify adding the BXT to those areas.

-Front doors have at least two layers on the inner and outer panels.

-Rear doors have one layer (some larger unsupported areas have 2 layers) in the inner and outer panels.

The Vertex Barrier is coming in later this week. This will be installed on the floorboard and trunk floor. If any is left, I will use it on the outer panels of the front doors.

- Ensolite will be used on front and rear doors.

Here are some pics.

FrontView-Factorycarpet.jpg

PassangerViewSeatRemoved.jpg

DriversSideBareMetal.jpg

DriversSeatDeadening.jpg

PassangerSideBareMetal.jpg

PassangerDeadening.jpg

RearSeatDeadening2.jpg

RearSeatViewofDeadening.jpg

AltimaDoor-1.jpg

AltimaDoor-NoPanel-1.jpg

AltimaCenterPanelOff-1.jpg

CenterPanel.jpg

CenterPanel-BXTFront.jpg

AltimaCenterPanel-BXTBack.jpg

AltimaInnerSkin-BXT.jpg

AltimaFinishedBXT.jpg

th_CenterPanel-BareMetal.jpg

th_CenterPanelDeadened.jpg

Still have lots of work to do, but I think it's a good start. I did do some SPL measurements before installing any deadening material. I will try and post some numbers today of any change after installing Raamat BXT. I will once again do this after installing the Vertex Barrier and Ensolite to the floorboard and doors.

For those of you wondering, I have not done anythng to the trunk yet. I will probably do this at a later date. I do not have an aftermarket system in the car. This will be going in this summer since I haven't decided which way to go with this build. I open to suggestions and comments for what I've done so far. Thanks, and more to come in the next week or so. :drink40: :drink40:

Did a preliminary run for the difference in SPL with the Raamat installed.

Before- 68db avg. on the highway at 60-70mph (a-weighted)

After- 65db avg. same speeds (c- weighted)

3db difference (enough for the ears to hear a difference)

I'm not completely confident with the "after results," although I heard a slight difference. When I did the first read, it was the morning on a highway with a bit different make-up than the one I was traveling on this afternoon. Also, there was much more traffic because of the time of day. The results look promising, but I'm not really sure how much difference this will make. I will do a true side by side test tomorrow morning. On a final note, I should have done this with a c-weighted scale(maybe). This would have given me a bit wider freq. response.

A-weight (500-10K)

C-weight (250-10k)

These are the specs on my Radio Shack SPL meter.

Maybe I should go back and remove all the deadening and take the readings again. Hahahahaha!!!! No way Jose!

One more thing....

What would be best?

Ensolite on the outer panel (panel closest to the outside), inner panel (behind the center panel. This way the inner enclosure is covered) or,

Ensolite on the outer panel and inner-outer panel (side where the plastic panel attaches), or

Should I do all three?

Edited by JazzScreamer

Awesome pics and vids, keep up the informative log!

Do you have the Bose stereo with the three speakers in the dash? I will be getting a 08' altima and it has the Bose stereo, I was thinking either a 3-way, but putting the mids in stock locations prob. wouldn't produce its best sound.

Let me know what your brainstorming idea's are.

Thanks.

No Bose. I'm not sure as to what approach I'm going to take with the stereo. This will be an SQ set-up, active, and only have a sub or 2. I'm still not even sure about a H/U.

I'm still concentrating on getting the cab of the car a bit quieter. I have some Vertex Barrier coming tomorrow that I will be lying on the floorboard and possibly in the front doors. After I install that, I will see what's next. Maybe more sound absorbtion. I'm done with the Raamat and don't wish to put anymore other than the trunk, but that can wait. The Altima has more engine noise than I'd like, so I may be tackling that next. :neil:

I wish I my car was worth putting sound deadener in :(

Looks Good though! Good luck and keep everyone updated.

My wife would chit a brick if I stripped her car like that.

My wife was not very happy, but she knows I'm a musician and I take my music seriously, so she let it slide. She told me it better sound good when your done.

I've always been curious, is it kinda hard to take out the seats and carpet in a vehicle? Bout to put my first install in, and i have a feeling its only going to build up to bigger and better things haha.

I've always been curious, is it kinda hard to take out the seats and carpet in a vehicle? Bout to put my first install in, and i have a feeling its only going to build up to bigger and better things haha.

Only if you have no arms... if you can thread a bolt into a nut, you can do it.

Thanks, I just got my Vertex Barrier in today. I will be installing it this weekend. This will really help will the deadening of the cabin. I will also be ordering some Ultra Stage Mat soon to stuff up in the dash the further help with my noise "problem." Still not sure about speakers. I may go with an all SEAS system for components, but still not sure. Before anyone says anything, I will not spend the money for the EXEL line. I would rather spend it on my Home System.

Looks like fun. I have learned to love sound deadening now. :)