Sign in to follow this  
theabunai

Jake 3000D info PLEASE

I'd figure i would post it instead of calling or emailing you jake

anyways here is the question

lets say i got

two 3000D's and 2 15" subs dual 2ohm

What would is the difference (if any) between

a. 2 3000D's strapped to the subs (take the subs wire them to 1ohms and put the amps strapped)

b. 2 3000D's one on each sub @ 1ohm each (take the subs wire them to 1 ohm and put an amp on each)

I get this question quite often

I would think that the strapped pair would have the advantage of equal gain control..

but is there a power advantage over another as well as an efficiency advantage

Edited by theabunai

what kinda subs

Eh that doesn't really matter too much.

And for the record.. you can't put two DVC2 ohm subs strapped at 1 ohm. They'd be strapped at 2 ohms. 1 ohm per amp.

nah i just wanted to know!.

And for the record.. you can't put two DVC2 ohm subs strapped at 1 ohm. They'd be strapped at 2 ohms. 1 ohm per amp.

Yes and that is what jacob recommends

2) I want to strap my amp at the lowest possible load, what is it? - 3/13/07

Quite frankly I recommend to run the amps at 1 ohm each and 2 ohms strapped. One hundred percent of any problems people see with protection and overheating result from loads under 1 ohm per amplifier... I have yet to hear a single compaint at 1 ohm operation. The lowest officially supported strapped load is 2 ohms. Running at a load of under 1 ohm un-strapped or 2 ohms strapped (1 ohm per amp) will void your warranty coverage.

That is why i said take the subs wire it to 1 ohm (each not total/nominal load) then strap the amps (it would be impossible to get a 1ohm TOTAL/NOMINAL load with 2 dual 2ohms subs)

thus the question what is the difference power and efficiency wise

If 2 saz1500Ds strapped to a final 2ohm load (1 ohm per amp) and it put out over 3K

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=7116

I am guessing 2 3000D strapped at 2ohm (1ohm per sub) should put out over 6K

Edited by theabunai

Quite frankly I recommend to run the amps at 1 ohm each and 2 ohms strapped. One hundred percent of any problems people see with protection and overheating result from loads under 1 ohm per amplifier... I have yet to hear a single compaint at 1 ohm operation. The lowest officially supported strapped load is 2 ohms. Running at a load of under 1 ohm un-strapped or 2 ohms strapped (1 ohm per amp) will void your warranty coverage.

That is why i said take the subs wire it to 1 ohm (each not total/nominal load) then strap the amps (it would be impossible to get a 1ohm TOTAL/NOMINAL load with 2 dual 2ohms subs)

Keep in mind, if you strap the amps you will need to have a 2ohm nominal load. you have two choices here, wire the subs in seies then in parallel or run each off its own amp. To me and I dont I am missing anything is theoetically the same.

If 2 saz1500Ds strapped to a final 2ohm load (1 ohm per amp) and it put out over 3K

Keep in mind, if you strap the amps you will need to have a 2ohm nominal load. you have two choices here, wire the subs in seies then in parallel or run each off its own amp. To me and I dont I am missing anything is theoetically the same.

Keep in mind, if you strap the amps you will need to have a 2ohm nominal load.
Right again I know what the strapping REQUIREMENTS is for these amps..

I've stated i believe 3 times, about the 2 ohm nominal load...

Once again I'll copy and paste

1. "That is why i said take the subs wire it to 1 ohm (each not total/nominal load ) then strap the amps (it would be impossible to get a 1ohm TOTAL/NOMINAL load with 2 dual 2ohms subs)"

2. I am guessing 2 3000D strapped at 2ohm (1ohm per sub) should put out over 6K

3. And the entire FAQ pretty much covered that I KNOW it needs to be a 2ohm nominal load... I am not asking what ohm load i need I am asking what the advantages are besides gain control...

To me and I dont I am missing anything is theoretically the same

Actually theoretically based on 1500D test you would come to the conclusion they are NOT the same...

1 ohm nominal = 1635 watts @ 75% efficiency

now 1635 x 2 = 3270

and

2 ohm strapped = 3150 watts @ 72% efficiency

The 1500 D test shows that strapped is less efficient and less power

BUT again the 3000D is NOT the same as a 1500D....

So once again (since it turned into a nominal ohms thread which i don't know why after my reply to johnecons post who was merely clearing up my non-descriptive post)

Is there a power advantage over another as well as an efficiency advantage

Edited by theabunai

Interested in what Sundownz has to say

same here earthman

I am curious if it follows the same track the 1500D would

I just want to know as i been telling clients that the 1ohm each (not strapped) would be more powerful

But i also (and i am not sure i am right) were saying the 2 strapped was more efficient and offered balanced gain control (since the gain runs only off the master amp)...

I want to be sure i give them accurate info about the amps... And help them get the MOST of their amps in the right configuration for the right system...

I know strapped is ideal for single subs (since you want the balanced gain control on the two coils) but when it comes to 2 subs it's a toss up and i want to know more so i can recommend the best setup for people who use the amps... happy sundown owners makes more potential sales :P

so i thought i would ask jake...

Edited by theabunai

I would venture to say unless you are burping the power diff isn't gonna be enough to matter. But the single gain makes it nicer IMO, plus if the subs are in a common chanber box, would almost have to strap.

1 ohm un-strapped per amp is slightly more powerful than strapped @ 2 ohms.

It is not an audible difference. It may even be small enough to not show up on the meter, if so, maybe 1/10th.

Strapping is useful for convenience purposes or to put more power to a single coil.

Sign in to follow this