slim2fattycake

md2d 06 amp keep blowing fuses

i just installed an md2d in place of a hifonics bxi1606d. before i had installed the md2d, i tested it and it was fine. when i finally screwed the md2d amp in place of the hifonics and hooked everything up, it didnt turn on. i checked the fuses and they were blown. i replace the fuses and they blew again. the set-up and wiring is the same as it was with the hifonics. i just switch the hifonics out and the m2d2 in.

set-up.jpg

what am i doing wrong. the grounds and wires are all okay. i even tried it with the remote turn-on lead out and the speaker wires out and rcas out. and i tried it with the dual amp disconnected from the setup as well. what do i do? o and the bxi1606d had 140A total fuse on it.

the way you are talkin, sounds like when you place the fuse in or reconnect your ground, as soon as you turn the stereo on the amp doesnt come on because fuse blows, right?

If that's true then it's not the fuse size.

From what you've tried, it doesnt sound good so far.

I have a 12v power supply if u can give me your amp, i'll hook it up, fused of course to see if it comes on then.

IF it pops the fuse ran off the PSU, then something internal is damaged.

I'm afraid that's the case already but that's the last resort i can think of.

I'm on vacation for 2 weeks so i am available 24\7 til the end of the month.

Sounds like the amp is bad. Try disconnecting your whole chain though. Take out the cap (and leave it out) and just run the power wire from the battery right to the amp.

the way you are talkin, sounds like when you place the fuse in or reconnect your ground, as soon as you turn the stereo on the amp doesnt come on because fuse blows, right?

well see i would disconnect the battery neg. and then install the fuses and when i reconnect the battery neg., i see more sparks than usual and then when i check back at the amp, the fuses are blown. the car wasnt even turned on yet.

do you wanna pm me with a address or number? ima try to make it out this week right after school. someone is coming to buy my hifonics amp as well this week so i wanna get this us amp going. its gonna suck if its something internal.

Edited by phi

Sounds like the amp is bad. Try disconnecting your whole chain though. Take out the cap (and leave it out) and just run the power wire from the battery right to the amp.

well i tested the amp out before i installed it in the car so if it was bad then i could return it to the seller. it worked fine then. it has been a week since then and it has only been sitting in my dining room till now.

and what do you mean by try disconnecting the whole chain? and ill try to see if taking the cap out will help. man i have used about 25 dollars of fuses lol

make sure your outputs aren't being jumped across by stray wires or that the ends of the wires aren't touching each other if you just have them laying around.

yea, fuses arent cheap when this stuff happens.

I actually keep a whole pack of ANLs in my car in case somethin happens.

Must have read over u havin a cap, so either do what john said above or if u fear about spendin more money on fuses or dont have any, let me see the amp for a couple minutes and i'll let u know somethin.

make sure your outputs aren't being jumped across by stray wires or that the ends of the wires aren't touching each other if you just have them laying around.

no strays and if i take a wire out i usually tape them up.

yea, fuses arent cheap when this stuff happens.

I actually keep a whole pack of ANLs in my car in case somethin happens.

Must have read over u havin a cap, so either do what john said above or if u fear about spendin more money on fuses or dont have any, let me see the amp for a couple minutes and i'll let u know somethin.

i think ima give it to you to check it cus i dont wanna cause anymore harm. so theres nothing wrong with the inline fuse i got? its 150amps and the total amps of the fuses in my two amplifiers together is 162amps.

i read some where that that amp is fused at 240 try that

are you sure?

ur fuse size doesnt matter because it shouldnt be drawing power, especially with the stereo off.

ur fuse size doesnt matter because it shouldnt be drawing power, especially with the stereo off.

so how about me dropping by tomorrow? pm address plz cus ima have to mapquest that.

sending pm.

well amp didnt come on. i guess its the amp. is there any other places that fix amps besides db-r? i dont want to spend a lot of money on repairing this but i dont want it to have a hack job either. im running low on money now. if possible can someone recommend a shop near louisville, kentucky?

is their repair center near louisville? i mean i was debating on sending it to db-r.com if i was to ship it. i wonder who does it for less? o and this is a used amp.

Edited by phi

since it's used and you don't have a warranty I'd open it up and look inside for something burnt. if it's something easy you can fix it with a soldering iron, or else maybe take it to a local electronics shop and ask for the part to be replaced.

this is what chris at dB-r.com said, "If you hooked the wires up backward from the battery you likely just blew a 60 cent diode that is in the amp to prevent damage to other components (like the mosfets) when you hook the + and - up backwards the diode becomes a dead short and blows the fuses as soon as you connect the power again."

it sounds like my situation but i dont know. i opened up the amp but i cant really tell if anything is wrong, there is nothing burnt. if its just the diode, is it really that hard to replace?

as long as you have a soldering iron, it shouldn't take more than 27 seconds.

are you sure cus chris said if that was all that was wrong with it, then it would be like 50 bucks. 50 bucks +shipping both ways +60 cents diode for 27 secs of work? lol

From the time he starts until the time he finishes will much more than 27 seconds. I would guess more like an hour. . . unpack, take apart, replace diode, repack, address, etc.

If the man is going to make a living repairing amps, that is pretty darn cheap. . .