Sign in to follow this  
mattd0344

Hitting The Lows

So I've been researching for a while now and still am stuck on what sub to get. I'm looking at a 15" Fi Q, 15" Fi BL, or if i can get ahold of one... a 15" AA Havoc. I want a sub that sounds good and hits the lows real well for that I listen mainly to rap and hip-hop. Can anyone help me out with this??? What hits the lows best out of the three?

i have the same goals as you and i went for a bl 15. if you read the description of the fi q series, they kind of make it seem that the q is made to hit lower than the bl... i dont really care tho i just want something that shakes things up with my screwed and chopped music and can take 1500 rms without weiging down my car too much cause i like to race alot, so the bl series fit perfect for me.

You definitely want a Fi Q. Get the BP power option, throw it in a ported box, about 4.8cuft tuned to 28 hz. I listen to the same type of music, and Scott helped me out with a box design. I had ~1000 watts on my 15 Q, and it was absolutely insane, the lower the note the louder and harder it hit. gorilla zoe, trae, and yung joc were absolutely obnoxious. The BL doesn't have anywhere near the same xmax as the Q, therefore can't move as much air on the lower notes, and it's Fs is much higher, the Q is a quality sub, quality subs are designed to hit low. I have vids on youtube if you are really curious.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mjmarovi

don't get me wrong guys a friend has a BL, and it is a great woofer, but for str8 ground pounding some low notes to Lil Wayne, Q's are the clear win.

get an 18

You definitely want a Fi Q. Get the BP power option, throw it in a ported box, about 4.8cuft tuned to 28 hz. I listen to the same type of music, and Scott helped me out with a box design. I had ~1000 watts on my 15 Q, and it was absolutely insane, the lower the note the louder and harder it hit. gorilla zoe, trae, and yung joc were absolutely obnoxious. The BL doesn't have anywhere near the same xmax as the Q, therefore can't move as much air on the lower notes, and it's Fs is much higher, the Q is a quality sub, quality subs are designed to hit low. I have vids on youtube if you are really curious.

don't get me wrong guys a friend has a BL, and it is a great woofer, but for str8 ground pounding some low notes to Lil Wayne, Q's are the clear win.

ya, i like your input. i would def put 4.8 cubes in my trunk if i could fit it. I'm thinking 4cuft tuned to 30 hz and hopefully that will still get pretty dam low. I have a 2006 honda civic coupe so fitting is really tight. but thanks man...gotta bump that trae(In The Hood)

If you think that's low, just imagine if you broadened your musical horizons to other genres ;)

x2

Edited by MikeyB

If you think that's low, just imagine if you broadened your musical horizons to other genres ;)

Hey jimj were you implying classical music. Because last time I checked there is nothing in rap that is considered a low frequency. My telarc cd's have warnings on them specifically stating that they will destroy subwoofer systems not designed to reproduce single digit frequencies unless a subsonic filter is present and adjusted properly.

1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky (8 hz frequencies)

Jurassic Park is like 4 hz.

Pipe organs go down to 8 hz etc...

yes true, but most setups are not designed for that type of sound, you shouldn't play anything below box tuning. But yes I do know rap doesn't have the lowest bass, just is a good range for most systems. if you like in the hood, try screwed up ft. lil wayne. That song is sick, and of course joc-coffee shop is great too, or lil wayne sky is the limit

Indeed, the title of the whole thread is a misnomer as there are no lows in Rap. The Q will play lower, but doesn't sound like the right selection for the OP.

cadillac by trae (screwed and chopped), shine cause i grind by crime mobb ft mike jones will shake your sh*t up.

X-max is a pretty meaningless spec in regards to how low a sub can play in a ported enclosure.

X-max is a pretty meaningless spec in regards to how low a sub can play in a ported enclosure.

other than the enclosure it is in, what do you think determines how low it can play???

Indeed, the title of the whole thread is a misnomer as there are no lows in Rap. The Q will play lower, but doesn't sound like the right selection for the OP.

Which is why I voted for the BL.

other than the enclosure it is in, what do you think determines how low it can play???

Pretty much 90% enclosure, but really YOU aren't interested in lows. You are interested in rap which ISN'T low. Get the BL.

Same things that let a sub play loud in a ported enclosure: the enclosure, piston area and motor force (which the BL has more of than the Q).

yes true, but most setups are not designed for that type of sound,

Maybe "most setups owned by 20 year olds" :)

whats wrong with being twenty i bet you were here once and your probably sad that you not any more LOL

whats wrong with being twenty i bet you were here once and your prolly sad that you not any more LOL

You missed his point entirely. His comment was that 20 year olds misbelieve that what they think they want everyone wants, but in reality most setups aren't that way. And to make it worse no matter how much you explain it with all of their 20 years of wisdom they won't believe you. Nothing wrong with being 20, a lot wrong with being immature and close minded.

Oh, and no way in hell would I want to be 20 again. Maybe 25, but not 20.

whats wrong with being twenty i bet you were here once and your probably sad that you not any more LOL

BTW, I'm 22 :)

bigger subs also hits the lower notes better

wrong.

Sign in to follow this