Sign in to follow this  
basshead08

surface area

This may sound kinda newbish but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the formula for getting the true surface area of a sub.

This may sound kinda newbish but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the formula for getting the true surface area of a sub.

Try 4 pi r

Outside that I have no idea

Try 4 pi r

uhh... the equation for area of a circle is pi * r^2

Try 4 pi r

Thanks LOL

The true cone area of the sub is often listed in the t/s parameters. but basically it's pi*r^2 where r is half of the distance from the middle of the surround (either the highest point or lowest depending on the orientation of the surround in respects to the cone)

I'm not sure what you're doing with this equation, but if you're trying to figure out if one sub moves more air than another sub, you need to take into account the Excursion of the sub as well.

If sub x and y have the same surface area, but sub x reaches to 20 mm and sub y only reaches to 10mm....sub x is obviously moving more air.

Try 4 pi r

Indeed, don't forget to only measure the cone itself and not the whole driver.

For linear displacement, look at the Thiele/Small parameters....

Vd = Sd * 2(Xmax)

The radius would be one half of the diameter of the cone plus 1/3 the width of the surround (not 1/2 as is often claimed). Then you can use this radius to calculate the effective surface area using the methods described above.

For linear displacement, look at the Thiele/Small parameters....

Vd = Sd * 2(Xmax)

The radius would be one half of the diameter of the cone plus 1/3 the width of the surround (not 1/2 as is often claimed). Then you can use this radius to calculate the effective surface area using the methods described above.

yeah...... i was just gonna say that.... :ThatWasGay: