Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

SAE-1000D Questions

I have a replacement candidate for the SAE-1000D... same build house as the upcoming SAE-1200D model.

I would call this the SAE-800D model.

Here is the question... how many people buy the SAE-1000D for the small form factor?

The current SAE-800D prototype is the same size as the SAE-1200D (as big as the SAZ-1500D).

It would cost less than the current SAE-1000D but is substantially bigger - it's just not as compact of a PCB design. The benefit is that it has an even beefier design so all the components are even less taxed than the already super reliable SAE-1000D.

The new build house doesn't like the idea of making a small form factor amp - it is not something they are used to doing, so it would greatly speed up the release of the less expensive SAE-800D model if I made it large.

Could care less about the size for the most part, I bought it for its power and reliability and for the Quality and support the Sundown name implies.

Could care less about the size for the most part, I bought it for its power and reliability and for the Quality and support the Sundown name implies.

Thanks for the input :)

Trying to get a feel for what people want...

Who thinks it would be a good idea to keep the 1000D around and change the name to "SAE-800Ds" or something? So, if someone so desired they could pay extra for the small size ?

PS: Just clamped the prototype on music at 1 ohm nominal / 2 ohms actual... 800 watts continuous.

Don't own one.... but if I was in the market for 1000 watt amps, the size would probally be a big factor. I did own the prototype for a brief period and was really shocked how small it was. I say keep it small, and competitive with the Alpine PDXs.

Don't own one.... but if I was in the market for 1000 watt amps, the size would probally be a big factor. I did own the prototype for a brief period and was really shocked how small it was. I say keep it small, and competitive with the Alpine PDXs.

Still not huge... but it would be about 16" long vs. the 11.5" now.

The issue is the new build house is not liking the idea of doing a small amp. It may take quite a while to work something out.

IMO... I like bigger amps. I like the fact that this amp has two transformers and more MOSFETs. Sure, the current amp can do about the same power in a smaller size - but I'm always a fan of more stuff inside to split up the load :) Of course, in the end, its up to the customer.

I personally don't mind big amps. Some times space is an issue but performance is number one. My ProMos is 24" long. It's not going to fit quit as nice as I'd prefer, however, that amp alone just makes me want to run it. I was going to use my VLX as my sub amp. That thing barely fits in my trunk and I'd have to make a custom rack for it. But it is a good enough amp that I'd make sure it'd fit. I think the 800D's being that big would help get the point across that this amp means business. Bigger is always better. :)

I'll put some thought into it... may still offer the current SAE-1000D as an alternative "small form factor" model at a higher price than the 800D since it does cost more to build.

I like the fact that the 1000D is small. With my budget and what I plan on doing the 1000D is the perfect candidate as far as price/performance, but the small footprint is an added bonus. If I had to choose between one of the used 1500's that you are selling and a new 1000D for say $300 I'd take the 1000D just because it's smaller even though I would like the added power and $65 isn't much more to spend for a more powerful amp.

I would only buy the 800D if it was the same size or smaller than the current 1000D. But this is only because I would be putting it into a regular cab pickup and space is a huge issue. But since 99% of your customers don't drive standard cab pickups, I don't think making it as big as the 1500D would be an issue at all. So do what is easier for you to produce because the demand for Sundown amps is there no matter what size you make them.

I would only buy the 800D if it was the same size or smaller than the current 1000D. But this is only because I would be putting it into a regular cab pickup and space is a huge issue. But since 99% of your customers don't drive standard cab pickups, I don't think making it as big as the 1500D would be an issue at all. So do what is easier for you to produce because the demand for Sundown amps is there no matter what size you make them.

You may be surprised about how many of my customers do have standard cab pickups and/or extended cab pickups :)

I suppose I could just continue to offer the current model until I work out something with the new build house - it is just going to take a while.

i love the fact that i have a small amp....people til this day cant belive

a small amp is putting me in the 139.9 bass race class...so i say keep the small amp around

I'd say keep the 1000D around and inroduce the 800D. Just out of curiosity how much cheaper is the 800D? Some dealers prefer to stock less expensive amps and needless to say for the non-educated buyer big = LOUD.

what is the power difference between the 800d & 1000d? I dont understand,......the 800 will be bigger than the 1000d and have more internal parts to spread the load and the 1000 is smaller with a bigger number on the case. Couldn't you switch the numbers so that the new amp ( 800d ) is actually the 1000ds case & the older ( 1000d ) case becomes the 800d case? The physical size of the heatsinks vs model #s are at war with each other in my head. I think this would be confusing to most average DIYers. The only thing that keeps your logic copesthetic with me is if the output of the 800d exceeds the current 1000d amp, but would still need the higher model # IMO.

what is the power difference between the 800d & 1000d? I dont understand,......the 800 will be bigger than the 1000d and have more internal parts to spread the load and the 1000 is smaller with a bigger number on the case. Couldn't you switch the numbers so that the new amp ( 800d ) is actually the 1000ds case & the older ( 1000d ) case becomes the 800d case? The physical size of the heatsinks vs model #s are at war with each other in my head. I think this would be confusing to most average DIYers. The only thing that keeps your logic copesthetic with me is if the output of the 800d exceeds the current 1000d amp, but would still need the higher model # IMO.

I would change the current 1000D to 800D as well - call it "800Ds" if I continued to offer it alongside. So the small amp wouldn't have a bigger number on it.

The "800D" would cost from 50-100 less on MSRP than the current SAE-1000D model - pending final cost analysis.

The power output is close, but the "800D" does produce a bit more power. Essentially, they used the extra components more to spread the load out than to increase power output.

From our perspective, size was a selling feature for many people on the 1000D.

if it means anything i would rather get a used sae1kd then a new 800d because of that fact that i belive u said in another thread the build house is in china for the 1200d.

Edited by SouthPole1989

if it means anything i would rather get a used sae1kd then a new 800d because of that fact that i belive u said in another thread the build house is in china for the 1200d.

That is correct - the SAE line will be moving over the China.

The current SAE-1000D (South Korean) will be sold at least for another couple hundred amps.

x2.

how much extra power will the 800d put out vs the current 1000d? will it still use the 4g power and grounds? size isnt that much of an issue if it will put out that much more power. and if it uses the same gauge connections for it to be a direct swap with the 1000d , id be all over it. even though , i do love the size to power ratio of the 1000d. <3

I would say to go with the larger size. It will look better matched with a 100.4 because they would be the same size and looks. Also can you put the aluminum sundown audio logo plate that goes across the middle on the new amps. That is the one downside that I saw to the 1000D. It just doesn't look right without it.

I would say to go with the larger size. It will look better matched with a 100.4 because they would be the same size and looks. Also can you put the aluminum sundown audio logo plate that goes across the middle on the new amps. That is the one downside that I saw to the 1000D. It just doesn't look right without it.

Well, its to show the different lines apart.

I admit the SAE line isn't as sexy as the SAZ.

I do understand where your coming from. I love the SAZ amps. Yummmy.

Indeed, the SAE line will get it's own multi-channel amps down the line.

I would buy two or more of the things if they came in around the $300.00 mark. Finding an amp that puts out that much true power with that high of build quality is far and beyond more important then a little size to me and all the people i know. Lets face it you can barely get a lanzar opti1400 for that much.

I would estimate that the SAE-800 (larger size) would have an MSRP price of around $299 - 349 (depending on my final import costs).

In my testing it is a solid amp - any potential failures are very easy and cheap repairs as well - I drove the proto into failure and had it ready to roll again for about 8 dollars in parts.

It took 2 months of grueling testing to finally find any weak points with the SAE-1200D (about 2 dollars in parts repair). Then we discovered that the test conditions are so harsh that even a 3000D will go into protection in this setup! So I have a good feeling about the long-term reliability of the SAE-1200D and anything else I do with the new build house in the SAE line.

And yes, I normally do try to break things when testing them :)

I would estimate that the SAE-800 (larger size) would have an MSRP price of around $299 - 349 (depending on my final import costs).

In my testing it is a solid amp - any potential failures are very easy and cheap repairs as well - I drove the proto into failure and had it ready to roll again for about 8 dollars in parts.

It took 2 months of grueling testing to finally find any weak points with the SAE-1200D (about 2 dollars in parts repair). Then we discovered that the test conditions are so harsh that even a 3000D will go into protection in this setup! So I have a good feeling about the long-term reliability of the SAE-1200D and anything else I do with the new build house in the SAE line.

And yes, I normally do try to break things when testing them :)

If you sent me stuff to test, I'd really break stuff.

If you sent me stuff to test, I'd really break stuff.

I believe that *laughs*

Sign in to follow this