Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

Another route for larger amp...

Looking into something that I'd be proud to put the "Sundown Audio" name on... and I think I may be on to it. I've been speaking to an engineer about doing a bigger power amplifier the way I think it should be done.

How does 4000 watts @ 1 ohm @ 0.01% THD anywhere from 12v to 16v sound ?

At a soft clip (eg: burp) up to 6500 watts at anywhere from 12v to 16v.

MSRP would be around $1999 to $2199 or so for this bad boy.

Would be about 33.5" long give or take... and accept dual 1/0 inputs.

I may be testing a prototype by the end of the year. Don't ask about the ETA for production - it's a big project requiring a large investment so it's hard to say.

Sounds like one hell of an amp Jacob. Would have the ability to launch Sundown Audio into a new market price per watt wise.

I'd say if you can get people on board, its well worth it.

J

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about this design makes it a better approach for Sundown then the 5000 or 7000 watt models?

(Other then cost to build or repair)

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about this design makes it a better approach for Sundown then the 5000 or 7000 watt models?

IMHO... it's simply a better design, period. Same power level from 12v - 16v, more efficient, lower distortion, more elegant design. This model costs around the same as the previously discussed 5000D if you don't figure in the engineering costs and tooling costs to get started (which will be alot, but worth it, IMO) - in reality does more power @ 12.0 volts as well (literally 12 point zero volts = 4000 watts RMS @ 0.01% THD).

I do not like the 5k and 7k based designs from my current build house... it's not really the cost to repair as much as they are almost impossible to repair, period. Don't get me wrong... they are fine amplifiers when working, but I don't like the difficulty of repair and this other design is simply superior.

This, from a product positioning perspective would make sense. As with the SAZ-2000D in the pipe via the 1500D, as the S**-4000D via the SAZ-3000D?

so this amp should do the 6k @ 1% thd aprox?

6k is with more than 1% THD (1% is more like 4500 watts), but is still under 10% THD. Of course, the THD doesn't really matter so much for a burp.

---

denim,

The SAZ-3000D would remain in the line - as the 4000-watt model will cost almost twice as much retail.

I may use a different naming designation for it since it would be a completely different type of amplifier.

This is all in development, but I like to get thoughts from customers well in advance.

IMHO... it's simply a better design, period. Same power level from 12v - 16v, more efficient, lower distortion, more elegant design. This model costs around the same as the previously discussed 5000D if you don't figure in the engineering costs and tooling costs to get started (which will be alot, but worth it, IMO) - in reality does more power @ 12.0 volts as well (literally 12 point zero volts = 4000 watts RMS @ 0.01% THD).

I do not like the 5k and 7k based designs from my current build house... it's not really the cost to repair as much as they are almost impossible to repair, period. Don't get me wrong... they are fine amplifiers when working, but I don't like the difficulty of repair and this other design is simply superior.

This sounds like regulated power supplies,.....yes?

hows about SASQ stands for Sundown Audio Sound Quality as it should sound damn good

The SAZ-3000D would remain in the line - as the 4000-watt model will cost almost twice as much retail.

I think you'd be better off going with the 7000 watt model. Like you said, for the cost of this 4000 watt model, they could simply double up on 3000D's and have more power available. I think the 3000D is holding its own in that wattage range. If you offered something to compete with the Stetsom 7KD or Cactus Sounds 7Kw, I think you'd be much better off.

I think you'd be better off going with the 7000 watt model. Like you said, for the cost of this 4000 watt model, they could simply double up on 3000D's and have more power available. I think the 3000D is holding its own in that wattage range. If you offered something to compete with the Stetsom 7KD or Cactus Sounds 7Kw, I think you'd be much better off.

the problem with that is that very few people buy amps of that size and I get the feeling that Jacob wants to enter into the market that is dominated by the likes of Zapco and Arc Audio

the problem with that is that very few people buy amps of that size and I get the feeling that Jacob wants to enter into the market that is dominated by the likes of Zapco and Arc Audio

If you look around, there are quite a few people that have bought 4x 1500D's or 4x 3000D's, they could replace those four amps with either 1 or 2 of the 7Kws and maintain efficiency and space. The market is there, however the product is not. A lot of people won't touch Stetsom for daily because they have been known to be burp-only amps.

If you look around, there are quite a few people that have bought 4x 1500D's or 4x 3000D's, they could replace those four amps with either 1 or 2 of the 7Kws and maintain efficiency and space. The market is there, however the product is not. A lot of people won't touch Stetsom for daily because they have been known to be burp-only amps.

how many average customers buy 7kw amps? not very many Jacob is focusing on his core business the guys that walk into the shop and have X ammount of cash to spend and they want a quality piece such as Zapco and just cant afford it

how many average customers buy 7kw amps? not very many Jacob is focusing on his core business the guys that walk into the shop and have X ammount of cash to spend and they want a quality piece such as Zapco and just cant afford it

I understand that, but with the 3000D already in place I don't see a need for a 4000 watt amp. For daily, I don't see a whole lot of people looking for 4000 watts. For competitions, they could use two 3000D's for the same price and have more power, both for burps and continuous (bassrace), than the 4000 watt offers. I think a 5000 or 7000 watt amp would be the better move.

Gotta remember that this 4kw will burp ~6500 watts.

Is this amp mainly directed at those classes that only allow one amp? Two 3000Ds are going to burp higher than one of these 4kw's with a similar price point, correct?

Gotta remember that this 4kw will burp ~6500 watts.

Is this amp mainly directed at those classes that only allow one amp? Two 3000Ds are going to burp higher than one of these 4kw's with a similar price point, correct?

I'm not aiming it at a class - I plan to be offering what I consider to be a superior product to the customer.

I'm really not into manipulating my line towards a given SPL class if that means making a product that I don't believe in 100%

I understand that, but with the 3000D already in place I don't see a need for a 4000 watt amp. For daily, I don't see a whole lot of people looking for 4000 watts. For competitions, they could use two 3000D's for the same price and have more power, both for burps and continuous (bassrace), than the 4000 watt offers. I think a 5000 or 7000 watt amp would be the better move.

Regulated Power Supplies= better for bass race. The amps will put out a much more consistent amount of power even as your vehicle voltage is dropping.

Basically... I feel like this design is a better amp from a design stand-point.

If all goes well I may decide to do an even larger amp with the same build house as this amp - but I'm not going to get ahead of myself and come out with something more than twice as big as what I have now.

Basically... I feel like this design is a better amp from a design stand-point.

If all goes well I may decide to do an even larger amp with the same build house as this amp - but I'm not going to get ahead of myself and come out with something more than twice as big as what I have now.

What would be the cost to say, do a 4000 watt and a 2000 watt.

Leave the 1500D and 3000d as a SAZ.

I see that making more sense, than taking away the 1500d to make a 2000d.

The 3000D isn't going anywhere.

Although, this model may be released under a different line... perhaps Nightshade amps :)

The 3000D isn't going anywhere.

Although, this model may be released under a different line... perhaps Nightshade amps :)

I know that but the 1500d might be to a 2000d.

Why not NS2000d and NS4000d.

SAZ1500d, and SAZ3000D.

A nice 200 amp rated Amp that will burp 4k would be SWEET for current rules for NSPL. :)

I don't have anything in the pipe that would be suitable as an NS-2000D model.

The currently planned SAZ-2000D is basically a larger 1500D so wouldn't fit in the "NS" line. Perhaps down the line I may do so, though.

Sign in to follow this