Sign in to follow this  
ABXX49

Tired of RCA HT.

Okay, as the topic says, I'm tired of my RCA HTIB. I'm done for the most part with my car, and would really like to build a nice 2.1 setup. I don't have the money for a 5.1, and rather than getting a mediocre 5.1 I'd rather have a nice 2.1.

First off, I need a receiver. I'd like to keep the receiver around $500. Only needs to be a 5.1 with some preamp outputs. Right now, I'm leaning towards and Onkyo. Any other companies you guys suggest?

Second: I want to build my speakers. Bookshelves are not out of the question, but I think I might like to try a 3way floor standing speaker. I'll admit, I am new to the HT building so if any of you have a better suggestion let me know! Price range for the two = $500(ish).

Third: The subwoofer! I current have a 12" Q in my car and I was thinking of possible removing that and putting it in a large enclosure with a dayton plate amp. My other thought was buying a 15" icon and doing the same amp wise. Yet again, I'm open to suggestions! :)

This will be used with my computer for everything. Music AND movies.

I have a mediocre Pioneer receiver and I have no problems with it other than some processing shortcomings. They may be cleared up in the higher end models, I'm not sure. mine was only like 200 a couple years ago. But I haven't tried Onkyo so I can't really compare.

If you're going to build your own, I think a first step would be to figure out how you're going to do the crossovers because they can be the most tricky part. There are some premade crossovers, you can try your hand at building your own, or have somebody else build them for you. I think some kits come with crossovers already. I think both Madisound.com and Partsexpress.com have kits available, some even come with the wood that you just have to screw together to make the box. Having crossovers made can get expensive, especially if you want it done totally correctly and have somebody build them for you after you send them your drivers and the baffle they'll be mounted on. It can get pretty complex. Or you can just do some premade ones like off of PE, which I did. They aren't too bad. Not made for your specific driver and you don't really have a say on the crossover points, though.

For a receiver, I personally would buy used. I bought a sweet Pio Elite for nearly half your budget.

IMO $500 for a 3 way isn't enough, it would be counter productive and you'd be better served with a 2 way for that price range...of course if you save the dough on the receiver you could apply it here.

Your sub idea will work just fine, personally I'd dig the 15" Icon if I had to choose though.

Alright, thanks to both of you. I'll shop around for a used receiver. Do you have any specific ones you would recommend m5? And I like some of the DIY project on parts express that come with everything. I want to try my hand at building a crossover, but I'm not really sure where to start. My main issue is understanding it all I guess. Is there any website someone can direct me to that will show me how to build a crossover from scratch. I really just don't understand how adding a capacitor or resistor to your crossover changes things and how to get it setup right so you can direct frequencies. I've got a while still before I start the build, I just want to get things in order now though.

$500ish could get you a workable pair of used speakers, the trick is whether or not you'll be upgrading to 5.1 any time soon in the future, because you'll want at least the front three to be matching.

Interesting, but I'm not any where near ready to purchase and I also want to try my hand at building some.

I thoroughly enjoyed my building experience. It's like creating a frankenstein. Car audio just isn't the same for the most part, doing a whole home system is more fun.

Edited by KU40

Exactly my thoughts. :) Did you build your crossovers from scratch, or follow plans from zaph or partsexpress?

I just got them from partsexpress. I took the easiest route because I wasn't sure how it all worked at the time. I think I got kinda lucky that it sounds as good as it does (if it even does. Sounds great to me, but some big SQ guy may come rip it apart, I dunno).

I want to try my hand at building a crossover, but I'm not really sure where to start. My main issue is understanding it all I guess. Is there any website someone can direct me to that will show me how to build a crossover from scratch. I really just don't understand how adding a capacitor or resistor to your crossover changes things and how to get it setup right so you can direct frequencies. I've got a while still before I start the build, I just want to get things in order now though.
Start by reading Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason and Testing Loudspeakers by Joe D'Appolito. These guys are icons in the loudspeaker world. Once the reading is done, then you need to buy appropriate hardware (calibrated mic and a quality sound card) and software (LSP CAD, LMS, etc). It's not cheap. If this is going to be a life long hobby, that's a small investment. If this a a 'test the waters' or a 'one time build' then stick with a proven design. HT Guide has a great DIY section of the forum. DIY Audio has a complete forum for speakers. PE Showcase has great designs. GR Research has some great kits. DIY Cable has kits. Madisound and Meniscus are two places that will design a crossover for a small fee when you buy the speakers and parts from them.

-Robert