Sign in to follow this  
Wall_Breaker

Hybrid Audio Clarus?

I was looking at this set of Hybrids, I had already set my budget at $500 before looking around a lot and I have heard good things about Hybrid Audio so how do you guys think they would do running active with a Sundown 100.4? Also I'm not so sure that the 6.5's will fit without mods to the door so if they don't then how will the 5.25's compare to them?

Any of the Hybrid Audio products would benefit from being run active. The C61-2 is a great kit, but if you think you can't fit it, the C51-2 is extraordinary too. In fact, if you can get your hands on this month's issue of Car Audio & Electronics Magazine, the C51-2 was reviewed there on page 16. Here's an excerpt of a few things I pulled out of the review:

The highest sound quality score ever achieved, using the new Car Audio & Electronics scoring criteria, went to the Clarus component system. For example, near perfect listening test scores were achieved (9.5 out of 10 on the song "Spanish Harlem" as performed by Rebecca Pidgeon). According to the reviewer, even despite being 5

Wow that really sounds good, especially since I had always been told that I would be pretty much screwed for finding good midranges in a 5.25, thanks a lot. one other question how do you think these will react running on the 100.4 if I am going to have a 18" BTL running on a sundown 3000? I'm confident in that they will sound great but will they be powerful enough not too be too drowned out if I want to crank up the bass?

Dayum Bro... an 18" BTL on a sundown 3000... that's some serious bass, especially if you are ported.

In my opinion, here's the gig: it's all about the crossover point if you are trying to keep up with a sub (especially a beast setup like you have).

Think in terms of the raw physics: you are asking a 5 or 6 inch speaker to have the same, or similar output, as an 18... and to top it off, an 18 with a lot of excursion and way more power... tough stuff, you know?

So back to the point of the crossover... if you cross the clarus midbass high (say around 60-80 hz), it'll take a ton more power (as with any midbass). This would allow you to take it to a higher power level without bottoming out and perhaps keep up with the 18 to some degree.

However, if you are looking for the "perfect" SQ blend? You'll have to turn the sub down... no getting around that.

That said, I'm guessing you want the best of both worlds... good SQ with some stout sub-lovin', yeah? If that's the case, then the C5 setup is gonna do the trick just fine. You will have to play with the active crossover to find the sweet spot though.

I had a long listen to the C51-2 and decided to buy a set on Hybrids group buy on this forum... I'm not running the power you are, and I'm a pure SQ guy, but they were very impressive in terms of the clarity at high volume. I'm like you... active all the way.

I'm running them with four 10's and a ported 15, so I'll be tweaking the snot out of the Clarus before I hit the competition lanes. If you are interested, I'll let you know my crossover points after the next show (the ones that blend with the subs the best...)

Wow that really sounds good, especially since I had always been told that I would be pretty much screwed for finding good midranges in a 5.25, thanks a lot. one other question how do you think these will react running on the 100.4 if I am going to have a 18" BTL running on a sundown 3000? I'm confident in that they will sound great but will they be powerful enough not too be too drowned out if I want to crank up the bass?

Umm, you are screwed they will be drowned out. The most important part of your system are the front speakers and IMO the budget should always be higher for the fronts than the sub. No matter what you do, nothing will "keep up" unless you really rethink what you want. If it is "just to hear words" then don't worry about it.

M5... Good point.

In my humble opinion, cone area is king. An 18 on a buttload of power wins over anything with less cone area and power. Especially if it is enhanced with a port. Horns would be the exception to the rule... since a proper midrange horn "in effect" acts much like a port does, with respect to it's ability to spank the wax out of your ears... LOL

I'm running them with four 10's and a ported 15, so I'll be tweaking the snot out of the Clarus before I hit the competition lanes. If you are interested, I'll let you know my crossover points after the next show (the ones that blend with the subs the best...)

Could you tell me more about your setup please? Regarding the 4x10" and the 1x15".

Playing different frequencies? or just using one setup for comp and one for daily driving.

Also which brand and model... thankx

Well I do like quality, and I if I turn it up that loud I can't expect the BTL to blend in any way very good with any set of speakers. But I want to be able to turn down the sub, put on some zeppelin and and just be blown away. If I have to find a way to make 6.5's work then I will. Also if nessicary I will get the legatia series and more power if needed, i don't wanna half ass this.

Edited by Wall_Breaker

Well I do like quality, and I if I turn it up that loud I can't expect the BTL to blend in any way very good with any set of speakers. But I want to be able to turn down the sub, put on some zeppelin and and just be blown away. If I have to find a way to make 6.5's work then I will. Also if nessicary I will get the legatia series and more power if needed, i don't wanna half ass this.

Heh... you're making me salivate to get my truck finished even faster now... I've been five months without my Legatia L841 fix... grrr.... LOL

Sure thing, I'll PM you so I don't jack the thread...

wtf? brooksie, send me a pm as well. gotta hear how you are doing this :)

Ok one last question where can I find the specs for these, like the RMS rating, mounting depth, cutout diameter, everything. I have looked all over the website and can't find a thing. Also is the 100.4 sundown the only thing I need to run them active? Or do I need a HU with certain capabilities?