Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

Heat Wave on glass

I have an amp mounted in a way to where it is 100% in direct sunlight and there literally is no other place i can mount the amp due to space issues.

It is about 2" away from the hatchback glass.

The back hatch is layered in a sheet of tint and then another layer of blue tint for a graphical image then a clear coat sheet is layed over that.

Is it ok, practical, doable, only way u may know of to take a sheet of heatwave or the Pro and stick it onto the tint to prevent the amp from getting excessively hot?

I turned the car on today and the amp was in protect.

I check everything, voltage is at 13.3v, impedance is right where it is suppose to be but i noticed the amp was in protect.

When i touched the amp with my hand, the heatsink was extremely hot, not burning your hand instantly hot but like metal cooking in the sun hot. I'm assuming that is why it went into protect.

while i had the hatch door open, all the heat inside was venting out as well.

I turned the car off then back on and blasted the AC with all doors shut and the amp never went into protect again so no wires were moved or anything so it had to be a heat issue.

Placing the Heat wave on the tinted glass is the only thing i can think of but is there anything bad about that?

Will it be able to stick vertically like that and onto tint?

can it be applied on curved glass? is it just like regular tint and can it be applied onto existing tint or does it need to be put on the glass?

Haha, this might sound stupid, but what if you put foil over the amp. It might reflect some heat. :]

Haha, this might sound stupid, but what if you put foil over the amp. It might reflect some heat. :]

foil on top of an electrical source? sounds like a blown amp to me or fuses either or... horrible idea =)

paint that glass black from the inside.... it will look a little crappy from the inside.. but on the outside it will look just like tint.... but blacked out.