Sign in to follow this  
johny24

The Dayton 8 crossover design?

To me, it appears as if the woofers are on a separate circuit than the tweeters. I know they're connected somehow and I've studied the build log pictures of the crossovers, but I dont understand this calsod crossover design. If anybody could help that would be great thanks.

To me, it appears as if the woofers are on a separate circuit than the tweeters. I know they're connected somehow and I've studied the build log pictures of the crossovers, but I dont understand this calsod crossover design. If anybody could help that would be great thanks.

Is this the crossover diagram you are refering to?

http://www.wadsnet.com/~dtenney/dayton_8MTM.htm

They look like seperate circuits from the way the xover program models them. And technically, they are.

Say the woofer circuit's + and - inputs are the binding posts, where the amplifier connects. To connect in the tweeter circuit, you just jumper the + and - from the binding posts to the tweeter circuit.

If you look at the diagram, and just draw lines from the woofer's pos and neg input to the tweeter's input, that would connect both together.

I hope that helps............

yea that helps, i wasnt sure if i was going to have to connect them in series or parallel

thanks a whole bunch

Mike S is right. This is a standard "parallel" filter network, both sections work independant of each other. Just feed them from the same input point like Mike pointed out.

The only time you will see a filter that both sections operate together is what is called a "series" network. These are more rare and you won't see them that often. They rely on all the drivers working together to complete the filter circuit, you remove a section and the whole thing quits working. I use this filter on my mains at home right now because it sounds really good and can be a really simple circuit.

With the parallel filters, you could remove any of the sections and the rest would still function because they do not electrically rely on each other and they are better at isolating drivers (they make it easier to work out response abnormalities).

-Mike