Sign in to follow this  
arizcats9987

wiring help

ok im probably just being dumb but i tried searching and no answer.

I have 2 subs and one 4 channel amp. my question is how do i wire them? i have everything connected however im confused as to how i should wire the subs to the amp. do i put them as front or back? also i dont know if i should plug the RCA cables into the front or back. i tried messing around with different options and i get mixed results. for some reason whether the subs are wired to the front of back it doesnt matter where the RCA cables are plugged in. now heres the problem, only one of the subs seem to be working. the other one will barely work but just sounds muffled. when the one that does sound decent is on it sounds underpowered. I have heard them in a friends car so i know thats not the issue. now heres the really weird part, the one sub that is working is louder when only one RCA cable is plugged in instead of both.

Please help me of lead me to the answer. Thanks a TON!!!

Model numbers of the subs and the amps would help.

You just basically led us into a room, turned off the lights and explained your problem.

ok im probably just being dumb but i tried searching and no answer.

I have 2 subs and one 4 channel amp. my question is how do i wire them? i have everything connected however im confused as to how i should wire the subs to the amp. do i put them as front or back? also i dont know if i should plug the RCA cables into the front or back. i tried messing around with different options and i get mixed results. for some reason whether the subs are wired to the front of back it doesnt matter where the RCA cables are plugged in. now heres the problem, only one of the subs seem to be working. the other one will barely work but just sounds muffled. when the one that does sound decent is on it sounds underpowered. I have heard them in a friends car so i know thats not the issue. now heres the really weird part, the one sub that is working is louder when only one RCA cable is plugged in instead of both.

Please help me of lead me to the answer. Thanks a TON!!!

OK. First things first. Disconnect all of your wiring. The problems sound like you have phasing issues (ie some coils are wired wrong.)

We need to know what the coil configuration is on the subs and the amp name/model so we know what impedances it can handle, than we can go from there.

well i am on a trip right now without the car so i cant tell you exact models until i get back in a couple days. i can however tell you what i know. the two subs are sony 800w and the amp in a 4channel mtx. if thats not enough information i will sit on this for a couple days till i get back.

haha sorry for leading you into a room with the lights off!

are those subs 4 ohm SVC?

ok i figured out what kind of subs and amp they are. Sony XS-L1220R. I cant seem to find any information on them as to the ohms and other information. the amp is a MTX thunder 564

yeah they're 4 ohm SVC. That means you can wire one sub to the bridged channels 1 & 2 and the other sub to the bridged channels 3 & 4. Look in your amplifier manual to find out which output terminals on the amp you use to bridge. You'll also have to have RCAs in both the front and back inputs. You should be able to just use a couple y-splitters so that you only have to run one RCA cable from the head unit back to the amp.