jocooter

5 channel power

If you search around a little this comes up alot. I believe it's still an unknown eta.

It's on the drawing board - no final design has been decided on and there is no ETA.

I have been asking about one for a while, but I know it is on the back burner.

Everyone seem to want a 5 channel amp but nobody seems to buy them. This is the reason many companies have discontinued their 5/6 channel amps. They just do not sell. I have been beggin Jacob for a 5 channel for a long time.

Edited by P-Dizzle

Everyone seem to want a 5 channel amp but nobody seems to buy them. This is the reason many companies have discontinued their 5/6 channel amps. They just do not sell. I have been beggin Jacob for a 5 channel for a long time.

It has a lot to do with the power demands most consumers want. A 5 channel that does 100x4 and 1500x1 would probably sell, but Sundown would have to have it cost ~the same as a sax100.4/saz1500d combo.

Or 100x4, 1000x1 cost the same as a 100.4/1000d combo.

A lot of 5 channel/6channel amps don't have enough power for what consumers think they need. The Memphis belle being one of the few that had the power, but you could buy 2 better amps for the price of a belle.

Yes... Most 5 channel amps do not produce the best numbers but at the same time buyers now days have been brainwashed into thinking they need 2000 watts for every speaker.

Yes... Most 5 channel amps do not produce the best numbers but at the same time buyers now days have been brainwashed into thinking they need 2000 watts for every speaker.

I would be perfectly happy with a 6 channel that did 20 wattsx2 @ 4 ohms, 80 wattsx2 @ 4 ohms and 120 watts x2 @ 4 ohms. It would plenty of power to cover 30-30khz.

I have been installing since the mid 90's and still love the old school amps. 150 dB's off 25x2 amplifier was the shiznit.

I have been installing since the mid 90's and still love the old school amps. 150 dB's off 25x2 amplifier was the shiznit.

Agreed, if we had a big power 5 channel I do believe they would sell. A 100.4 + 1000D in one chassis would really be the trick. Of course we would have to look into the size of the footprint the thing would have.

Agreed, if we had a big power 5 channel I do believe they would sell. A 100.4 + 1000D in one chassis would really be the trick. Of course we would have to look into the size of the footprint the thing would have.

Talking about big numbers with small amps back in the day. I ran my truck back in the early 90's with a single Phoenix Gold M25 (25w x2) it ran a 10" sub, 2 6.5", 2 4", and 2 tweets all passive and in "mixed/3 channel mode" No idea on numbers but it was plenty loud.

There it is Jacob. We need a 100x4 + 1000x1 5 channel amp. It needs to be under 20" in length and run about $750 retail. ;)

Talking about big numbers with small amps back in the day. I ran my truck back in the early 90's with a single Phoenix Gold M25 (25w x2) it ran a 10" sub, 2 6.5", 2 4", and 2 tweets all passive and in "mixed/3 channel mode" No idea on numbers but it was plenty loud.

I loved those amps along with '96 Opti's, HCCA Orions, Audio Art, PPI and many others. Thank the lord for Sundown.

Also, the 5 channel needs to be an hybrid one. Similar to my Audison LRx3.1k:

Front channel are A/B class

Sub channel is D class

Believe it would be a hell of an amp knowing how Jacob manages his products...

To make it even more badass, have it come with high and low level inputs ... can anyone say a great amp for small footprint, daily driver for the casual listener?

To keep the footprint small it would almost have to be a stacked design with the two boards on on top the other with a heatsink all the way around. Basically 2 amps with a shared power/ground terminal back to back (rather than end to end) in a tall heastsink.

I think that you guys would be surprised at how well the 5 channel amps sell with the general consumer rather than the hobbiest crowd. You guys have to realize that we represent a TINY percentage of the aftermarket audio consumer base. The majority are more like my wife who want simple and better than stock but aren't willing to go to extremes to get it.

I have some ideas on the drawing board... in order to keep it small I'm looking into full-range Class-D for all five channels if practical and economical enough.

Either way, I wouldn't just put two amps in one case - it would just be too big to fit for most people.

I don't think a 5-channel will happen really soon - there are so many other things that need to get done first.

Most people now days think factory is fine. I have been selling/installing for over 10 years and 5 channel amps make up a very small percentage of the systems I have done because of power ratings, cost and size. It has been more common for the modest customer to purchase a 4 channel amp to power the front stage and subs running rear fill off the head unit than it has been for a customer to purchase a complete systems amplifier.

What whole system amps does your shop carry? That could have something to do with it.

What whole system amps does your shop carry? That could have something to do with it.

I am not saying I don't sell or install any 5 channel amps nor am I against them. I am simply pointing out they don't have as big of a market as one may expect. I would recommend US Amps, Memphis, eD, Audison, McIntosh, Boston, or Zapco for a complete systems amplifier. I have a few connections in the industry and can get my hands on just about anything. It all depends on one's budget. CDT and Sundown is what I currently sell and install for the most part.