frankyp00

Do sealed boxes have a tuning frequency?

Was going to build a small sealed box for my brothers truck. Just wondering if any tuning can be put in a sealed box. Or perhaps it goes off the speakers "Fs" ...hell if I know haha

The size of the enclosure determines efficiency for the most part (every woofer wants a different box). Box size also determines output at lower frequencies, a big sealed box will get very low, and require less power to do so.

Say you have a Fi Q tuned to 30 hz in a ported box, and play a 25 hz tone, then put it in a sealed (2 cu ft, for example?), will it play a 25 hz tone just as good/better or worse?

Say you have a Fi Q tuned to 30 hz in a ported box, and play a 25 hz tone, then put it in a sealed (2 cu ft, for example?), will it play a 25 hz tone just as good/better or worse?

I can't answer that from my computer chair.

What I can tell you is that a sealed alignment will be quieter, but it doesn't suffer from unloading. Your ported enclosure is tuned to 30 hz and your SSF is probably right there. Your ssf is probably 12-dB/octave which means that at 25 hz the sealed enclosure might be louder. The sealed enclosure does have a steeper roll-off than a ported box, but the SSF may be steeper.

There are too many factors for me to be able to answer definitively. Sealed enclosures are simple in theory, but they aren't the most efficient solution. Musically speaking the sealed alignment should play a note better than a ported box below its tuning.

A sealed enclosure has a shallower roll-off than ported but it usually begins to roll off at a higher frequency. The result is that at really low freqs, the sealed box will have more output. You also can't make the assumption that a ported box is louder than a sealed one. For a given range of freqs it may be louder, but the reference level will be the same for both and once you get to the really low freqs where the sub is just fluttering in the ported box, the sealed box will be louder and actually under control.

A sealed enclosure has a shallower roll-off than ported but it usually begins to roll off at a higher frequency. The result is that at really low freqs, the sealed box will have more output. You also can't make the assumption that a ported box is louder than a sealed one. For a given range of freqs it may be louder, but the reference level will be the same for both and once you get to the really low freqs where the sub is just fluttering in the ported box, the sealed box will be louder and actually under control.

Sorry, a bad choice of wording on my part. I was trying to say that a ported enclosure can be louder.

What I can tell you is that a sealed alignment will be quieter, but it doesn't suffer from unloading. Your ported enclosure is tuned to 30 hz and your SSF is probably right there. Your ssf is probably 12-dB/octave which means that at 25 hz the sealed enclosure might be louder. The sealed enclosure does have a steeper roll-off than a ported box, but the SSF may be steeper.

um wow maybe you should go back to CA.

um wow maybe you should go back to CA.

Um wow. I'm allowed to make a mistake once in my life. I'm not from CA.

I will be honest, not only was what you said completely unnecessary, it was unwarranted. You could have done as helotaxi did, which was to correct my mistake, but instead you felt the need to e-bash me for making a mistake.

sealed boxes will sound better in car thatr have the seats blocking off. am i right? or should i go :neil: ported becuase i have a fi btl fully load coming on its way its a 15 inch :P:D

sealed boxes will sound better in car thatr have the seats blocking off. am i right? or should i go :neil: ported becuase i have a fi btl fully load coming on its way its a 15 inch :P:D

:shrug: it's your system.

a FI btl is not recomended for sealed enclosures anyway...if u want sealed try a Q

Edited by nickeveready

The btl is really inteded for ported use. I'd go with the 30-32hz tuning and see how you like it,

If you have a BTL coming to you then the answer is easy

keep that thing ported! sealed would be a waste of a subwoofer and of its output. Follow the reccomendations that Fi has set and you will be more then happy!

Glad I asked. I got some good info here

That is the goal of SSA.

yea if u go sealed on a btl, u might end up breakin a lead as i did,

ported wt a ssf is best

Thanks for the great help audio-neon. im still new to this forum so im having trouble seeing who has responed to my questions how wuold i go about seeing who has replyed?

Thanks for the great help audio-neon. im still new to this forum so im having trouble seeing who has responed to my questions how wuold i go about seeing who has replyed?

I believe there is an option under your controls or under the options when you create a new topic to receive email updates.

And I'm sorry I missed the part about it being a btl. I thought you were making a sarcastic comment. Ported boxes are almost always louder than their sealed counterparts in any vehicle. Hatch or trunk doesn't really change much. Every vehicle responds to bass differently.

For example a Honda CRX will get loud off of almost anything whereas a vw golf would need a wall be just as loud (in most cases).