Sign in to follow this  
ArrizX

two polk 8 momos or single rl-i8?

I know that Sound Splinter is going to have the better woofer, but its still $200 dollars. Although I really only have room for 8's. Possibly a sealed ten, but I want to port for maximum output.

So that leaves the fabled question... Because I can get Polk Momos wholesale for like 44 dollars each, and if that would be the better choice... more cone area and cheaper to get louder I would do it. Although, I have always wanted to try an rl-i so I thought I would discuss it.

Reason being is this (these) are going behind the rear seat of the jeep wrangler soft top. I need to have the box small and unseen under the little deck in the back.

Let me know what you think. Because these are 8s I want pure spl because I am used to my TC-7s and I absolutely loved them off of 1300 watts. And I geared that towards sq as much as possible with it still ported. So smaller subs with less wattage I need as much spl as I can get. Not to mention I am in a noisy soft top jeep.

Thanks for your input. I will probably power off a power acoustic just because I can also get those wholesale. That, or I will get a cheap amp like hifonics or crunch. I cant invest a ton just in case I do get ripped off. Wouldnt be that hard with this vehicle. I will hide everything as best as possible but I can only do so much.

I know that Sound Splinter is going to have the better woofer, but its still $200 dollars.
And unavailable for the foreseeable future.
Because these are 8s I want pure spl because I am used to my TC-7s and I absolutely loved them off of 1300 watts. And I geared that towards sq as much as possible with it still ported. So smaller subs with less wattage I need as much spl as I can get. Not to mention I am in a noisy soft top jeep.

That paragraph contradicts itself. You state that the goal is "pure SPL" but you also state that you want SQ. The two are not the same. Which is it?

2 10s ported should give you the output that you want and the box only needs to be 11" high. Pick up a pair of CVRs or Comps and tune them failry high (for both more output and a smaller port and smaller box). They'll not sound very good but they'll be fairly loud. If you want SQ that can get fairly loud, you need cone area, and it sounds like you don't have the room for that.

I think I read about people downfiring a sealed 12 in a Jeep. That box could be around 11'' tall x 13'' deep x whatever width you can use.

My friend just put in one 10 inch momo, with a rockford 500 amp. It pounds for a 10 he had somebody with 2 12's get in his car and tell him "wow man what do you have like a 15 or something, and he freaked when he found it was a ten." The guy had spent like 2500 on his setup and it wasn't even close as good, he had jbl subs.

I know that Sound Splinter is going to have the better woofer, but its still $200 dollars.
And unavailable for the foreseeable future.
Because these are 8s I want pure spl because I am used to my TC-7s and I absolutely loved them off of 1300 watts. And I geared that towards sq as much as possible with it still ported. So smaller subs with less wattage I need as much spl as I can get. Not to mention I am in a noisy soft top jeep.
That paragraph contradicts itself. You state that the goal is "pure SPL" but you also state that you want SQ. The two are not the same. Which is it?

2 10s ported should give you the output that you want and the box only needs to be 11" high. Pick up a pair of CVRs or Comps and tune them failry high (for both more output and a smaller port and smaller box). They'll not sound very good but they'll be fairly loud. If you want SQ that can get fairly loud, you need cone area, and it sounds like you don't have the room for that.

I am trying to explain that I had to TC7s on 1300wrms ported. But tuned low to keep as much as the sq as I could. So I guess it as LSQ. I'm saying how I am used to that, and how loud it was and I will need pure spl subs to get as close as possible to that in the jeep with the room I have. I want SPL because I need to get loud in limited space. I will get dimentions but I dont know if I can fit two 10s. I'm not even sure about one 10. I think I could sqeez that. I could get momos (best sub in the wholesale catalog I am looking at) and I also found an 06L5 for cheap just over 100 dollars for a 10. I thought that was a good deal. I would consider that if I could fit it lol.

So I guess general consensus is get a 10 if possible... Gotcha.

My friend just put in one 10 inch momo, with a rockford 500 amp. It pounds for a 10 he had somebody with 2 12's get in his car and tell him "wow man what do you have like a 15 or something, and he freaked when he found it was a ten." The guy had spent like 2500 on his setup and it wasn't even close as good, he had jbl subs.

Would a 10 momo be louder then a 10 tc 7? both ported and getting rms.

Umm, a single rli8 ported in a more SQ style ported enclosure will take more space than a ported 12.

also not impressed at all with the momo.