JazzScreamer

Kicker L7 Question

I just got my hands on a 04' Kicker 15" L7. Some girl was gonna throw this away in the dumpster, so I asked if I could have it. Anyway, I hooked this up to my Zed Mini and it powers up just fine. One thing I did notice is that there is a bit of cone noise (distortion) as if the cone is breaking up. Everything on the sub looks great. The surround spider and tinsel leads all look very new. Is this a normal thing for these subs? I'm not familiar with this model. I'll probably sell it in the near future if it's in good working condition. Any suggestions about my concerns? Thanks.

Wonder if there are any lose joints.

i thought thats just the way those subs run... everytime i hear a pair thats what i hear.

Well I'm still looking to find out if anything is wrong with this sub. It really doesn;t look like it. The surround, cone, spider etc. are all solid. I wanted to test the Voice Coils, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it with a multimeter. It's a dual 4ohm set-up. This is what I got. Is this correct? Also, could the cone break-up noise be because I was under powering it when I listened to it? I had it on a Zed Mini that only pushes 480 watts into 2 ohms and the gain was only half way up. Sorry if these are dumb questions.

P8140169.jpg

Edited by JazzScreamer

if the voice coils are wired in parallel, that reading looks right.

No, underpowering won't cause noise. Did you have the sub sitting straight up free air when you tested it? Having that vented pole piece covered (in that case by the floor) will cause noise when played.

^^^That is VERY common with square subs due to the geometry of the cone...I think they should rename them Kicker MF's(mechanical failure)

I just noticed something similar to that happen to me about two days ago.. My subs (L5 15s) sound like there's something lose back there, like paper or something flapping around. The cone seems fine, I haven't pulled them out the box yet but what do you guys think that could be.

pull it out, then ask again. nothing we can do without that, unless it's a box air leak.