Sign in to follow this  
crazyassazian

Kicker 12" CVR issues

My friend currently just got his first system. Its a 12" CVR with a 2.7 cuft. sealed box. The power is coming from a TXi 1008D (1000 watt) Hifonics amp.

Now heres the issue. This system does NOT pound at all. It feels really "weak" if you say. Someone told me that the box is too big. Im not really sure.

Heres a hint, when playing hoods run down, it doesn't get the last 3 tones. Its as if the sub is not even trying, there is no excursion at all.

Any one have any ideas? Thanks.

Heres a pic of the box for the hell of it.

robswangqj6.jpg

What are the voice coils on the sub and are you sure you wired it right? And I would have went with a ported box with that sub, It can really pound off little power.

My friend currently just got his first system. Its a 12" CVR with a 2.7 cuft. sealed box. The power is coming from a TXi 1008D (1000 watt) Hifonics amp.

Now heres the issue. This system does NOT pound at all. It feels really "weak" if you say. Someone told me that the box is too big. Im not really sure.

Heres a hint, when playing hoods run down, it doesn't get the last 3 tones. Its as if the sub is not even trying, there is no excursion at all.

Any one have any ideas? Thanks.

Heres a pic of the box for the hell of it.

robswangqj6.jpg

Might have something to do with Kicker subs suck lol j/p. That box is too big, plus you don't even need that much power for that sub. You could power a pair of those 12s perfectly with 600 - 700 watts. The sub should be in about 1.2 cubes sealed. The max ported recommendations for that sub is 2.25 cubs so you're going way too big with that box for sealed.

Edited by Jysoe

Are you sure the speakers are in phase?If one of the + or - wires are reversed say good bye to your output.

Are you sure the speakers are in phase?If one of the + or - wires are reversed say good bye to your output.

Thats what it sounds like he did.

I have done that a few times

I would start by checking the phase of the speakers, as stated. And if that isn't the problem I would build a smaller box. Even try a ported one....2.7 with one of those is pretty huge...haha

with a big box and that much power, that sub should be blowing itself on that song because the last notes go down to 20 hz or lower I think.

I'd check the amp. Is there a subsonic on the amp? Is it turned up too high? Is the regular low pass crossover set correctly?

Don't blame the sub, just the install. Perhaps some background on it will help us solve your issue.

Im pretty sure that the wiring is correct. Level is maybe 1/4 of the way up. The phase is set to 0. Bass EQ is set to 5db. Sub sonic and Low pass is set to the lowest.

ampmp3.jpg

I don't know exactly what you mean about background. Heres the full set-up though.

Pioneer DEH-P600UB

2 ga. Wiring kit

Hifonics TXi 1008D

12" CVR 2-ohm DVC's

.75 in. MDF

I'm going to try to cut the box down to 16hx16wx12d. Im think some of it may have to do with the Head unit settings. I will look into it more tomorrow.

Edited by crazyassazian

first off the box is too big liike stated before. too big of a box can decrease the power handling of the sub.

two, your low pass filter needs to be set on the amp, to about 100-175 hz.

the bass equalizer should be turned down all the way.

the subsonic filter keeps your sub protected in a ported box from over excursion. your in sealed so i dont think you should use it.

on your pioneer headunit theres TONS of buttons to tune your sub. turn the sub level up until you can hear the bass. dont use the loud or sla buttons unless a track is really chitty on quality.

Edited by carbonmonoxide

first off the box is too big liike stated before. too big of a box can decrease the power handling of the sub.
Which doesn't cause a lack of output, quite the opposite actually.
two, your low pass filter needs to be set on the amp, to about 100-175 hz.
Oh, dear, God. Not nearly that high. 100 is fine, any higher than that and you start getting into midrange and you certainly don't want the sub playing that.
the subsonic filter keeps your sub protected in a ported box from over excursion. your in sealed so i dont think you should use it.
With the box being too big, power handling is only decreased in the lower range of freqs. You might need the SSF to keep the sub from bottoming out in the big box. SSFs aren't stforported boxes and it is verypossibleto bottom a sub in a sealed box with low freqs.

Oh, dear, God. Not nearly that high. 100 is fine, any higher than that and you start getting into midrange and you certainly don't want the sub playing that.

I'd even say that's way too high. I think 80 is the absolute maximum you'd want to go. 65-70 is better.

i have 2 kicker cvr10s in a prefab sealed box and it doesnt really pound that much either.... Im going with a whole new setup!

My vote is HU settings. If you were giving that sub that much power in a box that big your sub should be bottoming out or the VC's would be burning from not moving.