How would you best characterize the IXL series of subs? Made to be accurate? Made to get loud? Somewhere in the middle?

Reason that I'm asking is I'm looking for a sub for a small sealed box to integrate with a system built with musical accuracy in mind.

They were made to be musical first. If they 'get loud' for some folks, I would consider that a fringe benefit. Scott used one in a sealed config - perhaps he can give you a more unbiased response.

Best,

Mark

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...hl=Mach+5+Audio

I haven't used one in a vehicle, but I'm currently using one as my HT subwoofer. What volume are you looking at? Mine is in a 1.1ft^3 enclosure, and I absolutely love it.

My living room at the moment is about 16 feet wide by 12 feet deep. In this large room, and only a 10" driver, it definitely has terrific output. I really don't need anymore for my listening habits, both in music & HT. As well, it is very accurate, even in the larger than normal sealed enclosure size (wanted to be able to dig right down to the lower octaves), not one sloppy note or uncontrolled movement.

I'm able to throw ~1300W RMS at the subwoofer, and it has still not broke a sweat.

Sound along the lines of what I'm looking for. Any other input?

Wait for Puggsley's review on it. He tells me flat out what is good and what isn't. I trust his ears.

Best,

m

Based off the IXL 18, if I wanted a 10" higher power driver (other then ours) that was first and foremost built for clarity (much of the idea behind the Icon ;) ), the IXL 10 would be one of the top selections.

My full review will be coming in the next week or so. But just to let you know......The IXL-10 is probably one of if not my favorite driver I have ever tested.

All I can say is IXL-10 + 800rms + Korn = ear sex!

Final question...what's the mounting depth of the 10 and 12? Can't seem to find that bit of info anywhere...

Edit:...except a few threads down.

How about the 12 and how much clearance for the pole vent?

Final question...what's the mounting depth of the 10 and 12? Can't seem to find that bit of info anywhere...

Edit:...except a few threads down.

How about the 12 and how much clearance for the pole vent?

Funny I was just wondering about that. At 5.5in I cant go wrong.

Edited by Stuckinok

Yeah, I've been sluggish with posting info - sorry about that. I'll get the stuff up this weekend. Taxi, the mounting depth of the IXL-12 is 6.5". Add an extra inch clearance for the pole vent.

m

Thanks.

Now I just have to decide 10 or 12...

Get a pair of 10's and run the amp at 2ohms. :)

If the 1000D looked like the rest of the Sundown amps I'd pick one of those up with a single 12, but alas...

2 10s upfiring would be nice. Now to figure out how to make the grills...er...rear seats that would still be usable (at least for the dog, though he's kinda heavy) and give the subs some room to breathe. I think that I've got a good idea on that but it hinges on being able to find factory match upholstery cloth...shouldn't be too hard, I have a lead on that part.

What would the box size be for the IXL 10" sealed??

Mine sounded good in 0.75cft excluding the sub displacement but Mach5 recommend sealed 0.85cft (not much different).

Jono

What would the box size be for the IXL 10" sealed??

Mine sounded good in 0.75cft excluding the sub displacement but Mach5 recommend sealed 0.85cft (not much different).

Jono

And that is the beauty of sealed :)

Mine is ported. I believe it is .85 cubes at 38Hz. I think.

Why tuned so high? Hows the low end extension? I got a 10" that I will be building a box for in the girlfriend's car. I am still deciding on which tuning for her though.

Mine is ported. I believe it is .85 cubes at 38Hz. I think.

Why tuned so high? Hows the low end extension? I got a 10" that I will be building a box for in the girlfriend's car. I am still deciding on which tuning for her though.

It was a tester box. Just to see what it would do. I would recommend 35hz for daily driveing. Perfect tuning IMO,

My perfect tuning would b e lower, but hey different strokes..

Can't complain about mine tuned to 31hz, goes quite low....... certainly much better than when it was tuned to 36-38hz.

Between 30-32hz would be nice IMHO.

Jono