yo_mamas_pimp

18" BTL in Mazda 6 running off Memphis 4kw (pics)

Hi,

I ordered an 18" Fi BTL about a month ago, and have been loving it ever since. Great, chest tightening bass at high volume, and nice deep tones at lower volume. I'm running it off a Memphis Audio Mojo 4000 watt amp.

I compete ever so often, just to see what kind of numbers I'm putting up, and this sub has been keeping me on top.

The only mistake I made was when ordering, I ordered dual 1 ohm coils, and I should have ordered the dual 2. My subs wired @ 2 ohm (under 2000 watt) for daily driving, and for comps I'll wire it down to 0.5 ohm (4000 + watts).

I'm on my 3rd box this month because of all the vague sub parameters, but it's been a good learning experience.

This is my daily box. 7.2 cubes tuned to 32 hz.

DSC00218.jpg

I was hoping big numbers from this box, but at 36hz I was hitting 145.9db. Time to build again.

My next box was a complete waste of good wood, so I'm not even going to post pics of it.

This box gets used at shows, because music doesn't really sound good in it. Its 4.1 cubes tuned to 46hz.

100_0391.jpg

100_0390.jpg

DSC00300.jpg

Doing a bit better with this box than the last. (and yes I know it's ugly) Hitting 149.1 at 53hz.

Still planning on trying new things with my car. Sub up port back is the next box. I don't really have the most room to work with in my 'sedan' but everything plans of fitting snug.

It sits kinda low in the back end....

100_0383.jpg

100_0376.jpg

I know lots of people are looking for box dimensions on this site, but it's better to 'test and tune'. I appreciate any feedback that some of the O.G.'s can comment on, but if you've got nothing to bring to the table, please keep your comments to yourself... you'll just end up confuzing the rest of us.

Anyone know of any other single 18" BTL setups are breaking the 150 mark? I'm just a decibel away, and could use a couple pointers.

vids?

I find videos don't really do much justice for car stereos (unless your last name is Meade) but here's a couple I shot with my phone.

[url="http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/yo_mamas_pimp/fi/?action=view

Edited by yo_mamas_pimp

awesome numbers man. i am planning on doing aero ports here pretty soon so i should break the 150 mark (if all is well). very nice build man. shocked to see all that sub in a trunk.

nice vids.... and i like this pic.

DSC00212.jpg

awesome numbers man. i am planning on doing aero ports here pretty soon so i should break the 150 mark (if all is well). very nice build man. shocked to see all that sub in a trunk.

Yeah I've been trying to get my hands on a couple sets of aeroports, but I live in Canada, and they're not very easy to come by...

nice vids.... and i like this pic.

haha yeah... he's like 5'3, 130lbs... still a kid at heart... playing inside boxes....

Edited by yo_mamas_pimp

nice setup...but if u want strictly spl numbers ...ur box is to big....do 2.9cubes sub up port back

2 6inch aero ports 12 inches long and theres ur 150

u got the power to drive the sub...and all u need is a box that going to make use of that..i know it will be a fart box cuz its tuned to 54hz..but u should do very will with that

box size is 31wide x 19deep x 14high..use 1inch wood and use 1/2inch thread rod

2 6inch areo ports 12inches long ( the pipe lenght has to be 7inches...cuz the flares have 2.5inches of useable port lenght per flare end..thats if u buy the psp ports)

Edited by 80INCHES

I find videos don't really do much justice for car stereos (unless your last name is Meade) but here's a couple I shot with my phone.

I agree with you totally on that.

nice setup...but if u want strictly spl numbers ...ur box is to big....do 2.9cubes sub up port back

u got the power to drive the sub...and all u need is a box that going to make use of that..i know it will be a fart box cuz its tuned to 54hz..but u should do very will with that

2 6inch areo ports 12inches long ( the pipe lenght has to be 7inches...cuz the flares have 2.5inches of useable port lenght per flare end..thats if u buy the psp ports)

That's sweet man. I knew I needed to make the box a bit smaller, but 2.9 cubes is a good number to work with.

...now with the aeroports, I've just got a question. Do you put the port all the way inside the box, or have it sticking out? If it's inside the box, it'll take away from the box's volume, and I'll need to account for that.

even in a SUV? runn the box smaller? curious about leaving the aero's inside the box or out.

Edited by Joseph M

Sweet a FutureShop install!

What store?

I work @ 601 (Whitby)

I have a pair of BTL15's going into my Sentra asap

those internal dimensions do NOT look like 7.2 cu. ft.

That's sweet man. I knew I needed to make the box a bit smaller, but 2.9 cubes is a good number to work with.

...now with the aeroports, I've just got a question. Do you put the port all the way inside the box, or have it sticking out? If it's inside the box, it'll take away from the box's volume, and I'll need to account for that.

inside

that 2.9 is after port and sub displacement

whats the net volume of his box now?? 2.9cu. ft. your recommending for an 18"btl??

whats the net volume of his box now?? 2.9cu. ft. your recommending for an 18"btl??

net volume of my daily box is 10.8 cu. ft. (inside)

net volume of my daily box is 10.8 cu. ft. (inside)

wow thats a huge box for a mazda 6. i ordered my aero's lastnight hopefully all is well and i will get them tuesday. 2.9 cu ft with 2 6in aero? man that seems so small...

its a spl box...not a daily box

but if u want a daily box and still get decent numbers..not spl type but will get u closer if not over the 150 mark..do 4 cubes ( after port and sub displacement) 2 6inch aero ports 17inches long..sub up port back

its a spl box...not a daily box

but if u want a daily box and still get decent numbers..not spl type but will get u closer if not over the 150 mark..do 4 cubes ( after port and sub displacement) 2 6inch aero ports 17inches long..sub up port back

thank you sir for you advice.