Sign in to follow this  
hilton

Reasons for a bigger box?

I am curious, alot of infinity subs and solobarics and such call for a pretty small ported enclosure volume (less than 1.5 cuft for a 10)

If a sub has a recommended enclosure volume for a vented box of 1 cuft, what would happen if you put that sub in a 1.75 cuft enclosure?

this is a lesson in sub woofer efficency that I am not the best person to explain

while this won't be the best answer, i'll give it my best.

by putting the sub in the larger box, u loosen up the suspension, ie: it now needs less power to reach full xmax. thus making it more efficient.

this does have a drawback...because the sub can reach xmax with less power, u can't give it as much power. and if u try, u risk pushing the sub beyond it's mechanical limits.

while that's not the whole story, it's the core. there is the amp's ability to control the sub, port volume and just how much bigger the box is that plays a role in it.

but i hope i answered ur question well enuff to help. and remeber, bigger isn't always better.

well, at least with sub enclosures......hehehahaha :ohsnap:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

There is also more positive things for a bigger box.

It will give your woofer much better low end play. THe bigger the box, the most likely the lower it will play depending on port size and tuning.

My XXX 18" calls for a 7.5 CF box, but its sitting in a 10.7 CF box 9.8 after displacement. LOW spl is the only thing for me :)

A larger ported enclosure won't play lower, you're thinking sealed ...

Using BassBox 6 Pro to provide visuals of what the effects of a larger enclosure are, first let's state our set-up ...

Kicker S10L74

1.75 ft^3 tuned to 48.2 Hz (Street Bass - Kicker spec)

streetbassoutputvelocity2lx.th.jpg streetbasstravelimpedence5oa.th.jpg streetbassphasegroupdelay0bd.th.jpg

Now we double the size to 3.5 ft^3, keeping the tuning frequency and port area the same ...

increaseoutputvelocity7bg.th.jpg increasetravelimpedence9pw.th.jpg increasephasegroupdelay9td.th.jpg

that even answered the question better

You guys have to be the most knowledgeable people I've ever met in the area of car audio! :lol:

I would've explained it, but it wouldn't let me edit my post ... And it was late, so I just said fudge it :P

Now I'm too lazy ...

It has been my experience that larger boxes play lower. I had a 2 cubic foot box tuned to 35 hz and my friend had a 9 cubic foot box tuned to 35 hz and the lows in his were way more evident and defined.

But basically, like mrray13 said, the sub is able to reach xmax easier in a bigger box which raises efficiency and lowers power handeling. If you have a bigger amp- use a smaller box. If you have a smaller amp- use a bigger box. That is how the Shiva and Tempest work so well in HT applications with small wattage. They recommend huge boxes which allow them to reach full potential with 200 watts.

That would be because the larger enclosure moves the peak closer to tuning and increases the size of the peak ...

FYI, low-to-mid-30s is LOW ;) Late Night Tip, Lil' Jon, etc. are all in the low-30s ...

If you were to take the same enclosures and play 20 Hz test tones at full power, I guarantee the smaller enclosure wins ;)

any more thoughts on this---I wanna say my piece

no, no..go ahead.... :+1:

my post pretty much explained all i know (or think i know) about the subject. so release some of ur knowledge already!!!

:woot::woot:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I will say that there is alot of good points bought up on this topic---one of the best reasons for a larger enclosure is less power is needed to power the sub----which saves the electrical system-----plus you can add more port area easier to a larger enclosure----the other is deeper transist response----

I think all you guys hit the nail on the head and pretty much covered everything.

mrray13 is right in saying that it lowers powerhandling and increases eff.

now I will shut up :D

Yes he is, but I know everything about nothing. :hyper::faintthud:

Yes he is, but I know everything about nothing. :hyper:   :faintthud:

and i know nothing about everything :woot::woot:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

ok i'll put alittle spin on this....what about a small box with a long port...i've seen that be for...and the sound is different

I'M ON MY COMP PLAYING AROUND WITH MY BASS BOX PROGRAM ...DESIGNING BOXES FOR XXX AND BRAHMA SUBS.

MY GOAL IS TAKE A SUB AND SEE IF HAS THE POTENTIAL TO HIT AT LEAST 145DB's BEWTWEEN 25 TO 30HZ

I THINK ITS POSSIBLE...CONSIDERING THAT I'VE MANAGEDTO HAVE A TWO 10XXX HIT 139DB @ 26HZ...AND I'M NOT SURE IF THIS ACTUALY HAPPENS BUT MY PROGRAM SAID ITS ONLY USING .18IN OF XMAX OUT OF A POSSIBLE 1.26IN ONE WAY XMAX....THATS IMPRESSIVE FOR TWO 10XXX.

THE BOX I MADE UP IS 2.41CUFT. EXTERNAL

AND 1.77CUFT. INTERNAL...

THE PORT IS TUNED TO 25.84HZ

11.5H x 1.5w x 40D

YES THE BOX IS A TRANSMISSION LINE

THATS WHY THE PORT IS SO LONG..ITS BROKEN UP

INSIDE THE BOX TO FILTER OUT THE UPPER FREQ.

SO WHEN THE BASS FINALLY COMES OUT ITS VERY DEEP AND FULL.

I PUT A SUPPLY POWER OF 1000W...AND THE SUBS STAY LINEAR DOWN TO 5HZ...THATS COOL

AGAIN JUST MESSIN AROUND WITH DIFFERENT DESIGNS