mikecdm

Is this sub salvageable?

Well my friend was cleaning out his garage and was throwing a bunch of stuff out. He had this Eclipse sub in some hideous box and didn't want it anymore. So I just took the sub and left the box there. He had it connected in his car for about a week and it worked, but it had a tear in the rubber surround. I think while taking it out of the box I also broke one of the terminals. Is there anything I can do to save the sub? Will I have to get a recone? I'm not exactly sure when you need to recone a sub, I searched and found a ton of threads with people needing subs reconed but I don't when it's really needed.

Here are some pics I snapped of the sub.

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

yea get u some gasket glue for the cone.. and u can solder those wires back together, dont know how long they will last since it looks like it snapped at the joint... but u can recone it urself just get some order some tensil wire, pop off the cone and resolder the tensil parts back...

and u can just be creative on how to have the connector fit back on there,

what size is the voice coil? you can prolly get a recone from the looks of it.

Its possible I assume.

Thats a TC7 motor I think. Im not 100% of that tho.

I thought it was some sort of TC motor but I have no clue really.

yea get u some gasket glue for the cone.. and u can solder those wires back together, dont know how long they will last since it looks like it snapped at the joint... but u can recone it urself just get some order some tensil wire, pop off the cone and resolder the tensil parts back...

and u can just be creative on how to have the connector fit back on there,

Thats the thing, I have never done a recone and I really don't know how or what is needed to be done.

what size is the voice coil? you can probably get a recone from the looks of it.

Honestly I have no clue, all I know is what you see in the pics.

if there r no holes on the rubber surround(only scratches) ...than its OK ...its hard to see from the pic ..

use some glue to attach the terminals back to the basket and a screw if the holes are still there (and not broken out)

other than that you can wang it till she does die, no reason to get a recone unless you're that unhappy with the appearance

Well the rubber surround does have a hole in it and it looks like someone already tried to fix it. There was some black silicon or similar on the inside of the rubber surround that came loose.

The terminal are fine and the holes on the basket are still in tact. Upon a closer inspection it looks like the had been broken before and that someone had re-soldered the tinsel leads. It looks like I will have to attempt this myself but I don't know if they will be long enough.

As for the surround I really don't know what to do. The hole isn't huge but I can probably shove my pinkie through there. Thats kind of the reason that I thought that I might need a recone. I don't think that the rubber surround is fixable.

don't worry about fixing the hole, just put a dab of silicone on it to keep it from getting worse, you'll never hear a difference.

Well thanks for the suggestions, I'll put some silicon on the hole and try to figure out how to solder the tinsel leads. Any chance you know the model of the sub or any specs on it. I looked through the eclipse site and tried to find it but they only had 06' models and this sub never didn't look like any of them. It looks like almost all the eclipse subs are Dual 4ohm but I'm not sure if this one is. The sub doenst say anything on it but eclipse. What I want to do with the sub is make kind of a home theater sub or something to add a little bass to my music in my bedroom. I wanted to build a small box and try to find an inexpensive amp to use with it.

Are the tinsel leads broken? It looks like you broke the little screw that holds the terminal to the basket. Put a little silicone glue on it and push it back into the holes. Make sure that the base touches the basket. The round, plastic parts fit in the 2 holes and keep the metal parts of the terminal from touching the metal parts of the basket.

If you haven't patched the surround, Plumber's Goop is a great product for this type of repair. It is much stickier than silicone when dry. I built a sub using it and that rubber surround is bonded to the basket like crazy. You can also use it to glue the terminal to the basket.

Is the motor 6" or 7" diameter? TC-7's are 6" while TC-9's are 7". I have both sitting here beside me.

-Robert