Punkeyboozter

Fibre on box

Hi

i know this is perhaps a little off topic but was thinking when you use fibreglass or carbon fibre as detailing on a box(around the port area and front pannel) will this stick to the wood or will this cause some nasty rattle or something?

if this is possible what would be the trick behind it?

thx

i dont know if you've ever laid fiber before, but the resin is so damn strong i'd imagine it'd work very well on any part. assuming you ran into issues (such as the sharp corners), you might want to make your mold, cure it, then attatch it afterwards to the areas you want with building adhesive. if you want to do the whole box, thats a different issue, as it would all hold itself together.

actually now that i think about it i think the reason you cloth it down first is so the fiber has something to stick to. i've only ever repaired a structure, or created a structure soley out of fiber, so maybe try it out and post back with how it went!

I dont have any experience with Carbon Fiber. However, fiberglass applied properly will stick well to MDF.

thx guys small project scheduled for Dec. this year will give it a shot. but first I need to build the box and see how it sound. thx again

btw i build a canoe with my dad once out of a mould; neetless to say it was a bit leakey but this time im older and wiser. fing05.gif

Edited by Punkeyboozter

Best of luck to you!