SpeakerBoy

SSA iCon, my present, from parents

so. you all know me as the kid who is only 14 but dreams big in terms of bass. now here i have another stupid idea. i asked my mum if i could get like, a present or sumthin if i got straight a's first semester in school. (ima sophmore now, no longer FRESHmeat lol) she, surprisingly said yes. first thing that popped into my head, and out of my mouth was "iCon 15d2" and dude, i almost cried cuz she still said yes when she saw the pricetag. so here are my plans. it is eventually goin in my car, so the box is going to be a low ported mdf. i want to know what i can do with it for a ht setup whilst i wait for my car. i am iffy on max power, estimating between 1500-2000w seeing as it doesnt clearly state peak on shop page. anywho, i am thinkin 800-1000rms. in my bedroom(20x15ft) will this sound good? i have a 5 channel amp for highs, uhh sherwood 8701 i think, and about 50w a channel under load. in the event you need further details, i am at heart, a music person. i listen to pretty much all rap, a little rock here and there, and occasionally al little jazz. but this is a rap setup, cuz i am gettin bass deprived since my speaker bike broke. (long story, tell you some other time, just pm me) so i did a little lookin into it, and i am thinkin this amp.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=300-808

and this box,

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Co...sid/0/SFV/30046

thanks for any input on this idea!

cool must be nice to have cool parents my dad gave me $5 if i made all A honor roll and $1 if i made the A/B honor roll which i did all thru high school finshed with a 3.8 gpa and was ranked 10th in my class overall.

cool must be nice to have cool parents my dad gave me $5 if i made all A honor roll and $1 if i made the A/B honor roll which i did all thru high school finshed with a 3.8 gpa and was ranked 10th in my class overall.

whoa dude. thats harsh! lol at least you can get into college and get good stuff for your self now (i cant get any kind of job til november!)

You don't need a kW plate amp...half that would work just fine :)

And if this is a learning experience, you might as well get some construction under your belt instead of buying an enclosure.

i am iffy on max power, estimating between 1500-2000w seeing as it doesnt clearly state peak on shop page.

It doesn't state it because it's a useless thing to know.

nice present, when i got high honors all i got was....oh wait....nothing :)

when i was in elementary school i would get those marvel comic cards if i got good report card though

Edited by manbeer

Definitely don't go with that box.

hmmm....well as that one dude said, i should get some construction goin, but i am a horrible carpenter....

And if this is a learning experience, you might as well get some construction under your belt instead of buying an enclosure.

i am iffy on max power, estimating between 1500-2000w seeing as it doesnt clearly state peak on shop page.

why only half of the power? wont it be just a little less...beast?

I believe the amp in that link is overrated. I almost bought that amp before reading many reviews that stated that it could barely push half its rated power. But like Jim said, its not like you need that much power, so even half that power would be enough. With that said though, I would try and look for a pro amp that isn't overrated and can guarentee you clean power. Look into the QSC GX5 http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.c...FTOKEN=50274444.

Edited by chad

why only half of the power? wont it be just a little less...beast?

Something you'll realize is that just because a speaker is rated for a certain amount of power, doesn't mean you have to send it that much power for good results :)

plus box design is far more important than power. make a good box and im sure with only 500wrms that sub will perform great.

where you at in chicago?

actually one of the suburbs, plainfield

Whatever you do, do NOT put that ICON is a prefab box. Boxes aren't hard, there are plenty of guys that will gladly help you with the designs.

where you at in chicago?

actually one of the suburbs, plainfield

Haha, nice. I'm right next door in Naperville. Good luck with the icon, I'm hoping to get one soon too. Depending on when I get my new car. If I was you, I would go with a custom box either from someone on here or build one yourself.

Neil did some extensive testing in home audio with the Icon 15, might want to check out his review for some ideas. :)

I'd also say you are going to need two boxes, one for your house and a different one for your car. Even if you look really hard you will find no pre-fab that is ready for home use so you are going to have to build your own. In this case it is a good thing though as you are going to need some practice for when you get a car.

whoa dude. thats harsh! lol at least you can get into college and get good stuff for your self now (i cant get any kind of job til november!)

If I didn't get straight A's I got grounded. No financial reimbursement, just punishment.

When I was a little kid, my grandfather gave me money when I got good grades. In high school though, I always got the "You could done better. You know this right?" Even though I was working full time and doing an internship at the same time. You've got some really cool parents.

If I didn't get straight A's I got grounded. No financial reimbursement, just punishment.
But you can't do that now. It would hurt the child's self esteem and scar them for life. That's the same reason they stopped keeping score in pee-wee football and everyone gets a "participation trophy". Then they get into the real world and expect to get a raise and bonus for just doing their work. Doing what is expected will keep you from being the first one on the chopping block during a cut-back. But that doesn't mean you won't get chopped during the 2nd round.

And even then it sometimes doesn't matter - link.

-Robert

That's the same reason they stopped keeping score in pee-wee football and everyone gets a "participation trophy".

-Robert

A good friend of mine shat on me for putting my 4yr old in the YMCA tee ball league for that very reason. :D

But you can't do that now. It would hurt the child's self esteem and scar them for life. That's the same reason they stopped keeping score in pee-wee football and everyone gets a "participation trophy". Then they get into the real world and expect to get a raise and bonus for just doing their work. Doing what is expected will keep you from being the first one on the chopping block during a cut-back. But that doesn't mean you won't get chopped during the 2nd round.

And even then it sometimes doesn't matter - link.

-Robert

Being PC is lame, if you fail you fail. How do we think we are going to compete with the rest of the world if we can't even improve ourselves :(