Sign in to follow this  
manbeer

Installed 10" Rockford T2 tonight

This thing was already in a box when i got it so i decided to just throw it in the car and see how it sounded. The enclosure it's in is pretty beefy but it's sealed, which i know wasn't recommended for that sub. Probably about .85 cubes if i had to guess. Anyway, wired in parallel for final 2 ohm load at the amp. Amp is MTX 81000d rated 1000wrms @ 12.5v

and i believe it should be pushing around rated power. Anyway the excursion on this thing is SICK, kinda moves like the old eclipse TI,s. However, I am disappointed in it's output. I have had several single sub setups in different cars, ported and sealed, and honestly, it doesn't seem any louder then a kicker comp 12 w/ a 300 watt soundstream in the trunk of my lexus, or the MA Audio MAW612 in my other car running off similar power. It moves alot but doesn't seem to be much noise, just movement. On the other hand, it sounds pretty decent, and i expected it to sound like ass, so i guess thats a plus

Edited by manbeer

first things first figure out the dimensions of the current box, and post those up. If those are way off, then build one to their recommended specs and go from there.

On another note, are you sure the sub is wired properly? Is that a 2 ohm rated amp? IE, does it do it's rated power @ 2 ohm?

first things first figure out the dimensions of the current box, and post those up. If those are way off, then build one to their recommended specs and go from there.

On another note, are you sure the sub is wired properly? Is that a 2 ohm rated amp? IE, does it do it's rated power @ 2 ohm?

yeah, it's definitely wired properly. i'm wondering just how much play time was on it and what kind of use it was subjected to cause after about 3 hours of hard use tonight it's finally starting to get a little better, the suspension is still stiff as hell though. i mean feels like it's never been used. the thing gets hot! the mounting ring was almost burning to the touch when i checked it at the end of the night. I am pretty sure the amp is putting out rated power, and i am pretty sure it'll be louder in a larger, ported enclosure. Just was a little disappointed cause i really expected it to at least "tickle" the ears a little like some of my old single sub setups, and it is lacking there. i DOES hit lows really nice for a 10 though, seems like the lower the note, the louder it gets. part of the problem before was that i has the xover set too low for this application. 50hz or so would be nice but where my factory stereo lacks midbass the roll off was too dramatic, so i bumped it up to around 70 or 80ish. tomorrow i'll pull it out and throw some polyfill in as well. I guess it could be the car as well though. One thing to note is that the lights barely dim right now so i am happy about that, thought it would be worse. The amp is really pretty decent too, all in all it's a good setup for daily use.

if it's moving that much in a sealed box I don't think power is your problem.

Are you sure that's a T2? Rockford's website doesn't have a 10" T2, only 12 and 15. Did you get scammed with what sub it is? It may just be a T1.

The rockford subs I grew up knowing were notorious for having low efficiency. The T1 10" only has a sensitivity of 82 db. ack.

if it's moving that much in a sealed box I don't think power is your problem.

Are you sure that's a T2? Rockford's website doesn't have a 10" T2, only 12 and 15. Did you get scammed with what sub it is? It may just be a T1.

The rockford subs I grew up knowing were notorious for having low efficiency. The T1 10" only has a sensitivity of 82 db. ack.

they discontinued the 10" for this model years, thats why it wasn't on the site. this is a link...and yeah- super inefficient. the only thing i don't get, and i've seen it happen in a couple of installs before, is that for the amount of air it's moving it doesn't seem to be making enough sound

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/pr...US&p_status

box is .9 cubes gross. I'm gonna throw something together in the next week or two probably around 1.75ish net with 40 square inches of port tuned to about 33hz. i wanna tune a little higher cause people seem to have good results with these around 40hz, but this is a temporary setup and i don't have a subsonic filter, so i'm gonna play it safe. I still think i have another good 3-5 db i can gain from it. i'm curious to see what a 12" icon can do given the same power and airspace

its starting to get a bit louder :)

in all my other cars i noticed a difference with the sub facing different directions and with the seat down. with this, the sub isn't really any louder in any one direction, which is strange for me. i have the wedge enclosure lying on its back facing up now, angled a little towards the back seat. It actually plays louder with the seats closed, i guess cause the trunk is acting as an isobaric enclosure? i think that it's hitting lows pretty loud but lacking a bit in the upper sub range. when i set chit on my center console it vibrates off though, not as crazy as alot of others that i have seen but i guess that would be an indication that it's fairly "loud"

I get the feeling that in a ported box it will be a little monster