Impious

12" RL-p Sealed Box Questions??

Well, I'm seriously considering picking up a Soundsplinter 12" RL-p to play around with some. I want to stick with using a sealed box, but after glancing at the sub's specs I'm a little worried that it's sealed performance may not be up-to-par (low Qts and high EBP).

When I used a Qtc calc to figure out box size required for a Qtc of ~.707, it said I needed a 0.291cuft enclosure, and gives me an F3 of 79.93hz :huh: It's like it specs out as a midbass on steroids. Either that or the calculator is WAAAYYYY off.

So, what sealed box size would give satisfactory LFE and overall performance??

Well, I'm seriously considering picking up a Soundsplinter 12" RL-p to play around with some. I want to stick with using a sealed box, but after glancing at the sub's specs I'm a little worried that it's sealed performance may not be up-to-par (low Qts and high EBP).

When I used a Qtc calc to figure out box size required for a Qtc of ~.707, it said I needed a 0.291cuft enclosure, and gives me an F3 of 79.93hz :huh:

Yea like I said in my email to you squeak.. the t/s param's are not the say-all end-all when it comes to making a great sounding enclosure. In fact, everytime I ask the engineers over at TC Sounds for exact advice to achieve certain specs, they tell me not to concern myself with the t/s param's as they are a bit limited in scope to deal with the variations in any real-world application. Thilo Stompler, the guy who designs all the drivers over there, has told me on more than one ocassion that there is much more to a driver than the t/s param's and people should really stop putting so much weight upon them (not to say that they aren't useful of course).

Now I myself am by no means an expert on t/s param's and I am certainly learning as I go along - but I'd recommend stickin' with the sealed recommendations on the website, or go ported if you want extra low frequency extension.

:+1:

btw: welcome to ssa.com squeak!!! :+1:   'bout time u drug urself overhere!! alot less bs and flaming here compared to other forums...i think u'll like it here :woot:   :woot:

Hehe....thank you :)

Mrray and Mike, thank you for the replys! Definitely going in a sealed box....the mounting location doesn't allow space for ported. Looks like I'm just going to have to get one and test the little bugger out :P

BTW.....who's idea was this? --------> :4123357f3da0f6e125a54:

Well....I have ~800w to throw at the thing.....and with my space limitations, I think I'm going to go with 1cuft sealed. Sound like a good plan??

And I can't decide if I want the D2 or the D4's :( My amp is a Soundstream Rubicon 702, stable into both 4ohm and 2ohm mono, so either VC config would work. Damn decisions.........

Oh yeah....what's the Sd on these puppies as well?? I *think* that's the main spec I'm missin'

Oh yeah....what's the Sd on these puppies as well??  I *think* that's the main spec I'm missin'

Sd for the RL-p12 is 0.0471m^2

Well....I have ~800w to throw at the thing.....and with my space limitations, I think I'm going to go with 1cuft sealed.  Sound like a good plan??

And I can't decide if I want the D2 or the D4's  :(   My amp is a Soundstream Rubicon 702, stable into both 4ohm and 2ohm mono, so either VC config would work.  Damn decisions.........

Is it the same power RMS for both 4 ohm and 2 ohm? If it is, stick with two DVC 4's and run it at 4 ohm, less distortion from pushing the amp.

Well....I have ~800w to throw at the thing.....and with my space limitations, I think I'm going to go with 1cuft sealed.

Yes, the same power at either load.....in which case I'd need the D2 to achieve a 4ohm load since I'm only going to have 1 sub ;)

Thanks guys!! Mike, expect an e-mail from me tommorrow :D

Well....I have ~800w to throw at the thing.....and with my space limitations, I think I'm going to go with 1cuft sealed.

unfortunately not, it has been a slow process with work in my way even over the break. Too short of a break, oh well. Hell, i haven't even finished my leather in my car. My new TV and stand are done though. :D