toolskizm

amp burnt, need suggestions

I have a JL 450/4 that was quite a good amp, but the other day two channels burned up and now only two work. I'm not sure if I should run with this amp again or try something different and possibly better. I was thinking of putting in a single FI Q 12" in a ported box with a Sundown SAE-1000D. I've never used their amps before, but they seem to be well respected. My setup currently is as follows:

HU: Alpine IVA-W200

Front: Focal Utopia 6.5" (older model)

Rear: Focal 690 CA1 (6x9)

I looked at the Sundown 100.4, but I'm not so sure the output will be enough. The JL put out more and the speakers handled it fine and sounded good. I'm just looking for a possible alternative. Not very knowledgeable on how good Sundown's 4 channels are, not to mention the MSRP is more then the JL 450/4. Other suggestions are definitely welcome. I'd like to keep the 4channel price around 400$ being that's what I can get the JL for (V1 series).

EDIT: Any info on the Alpine PDX amps? The design is nice and the PDX-4.150 looks like it would fit nice with my setup...never owned an Alpine amp. If it's anything like their decks, I would be happy.

Edited by toolskizm

I'd want to know what caused the failure on your JL. They shouldn't "burn"

The Sundown would be a more than capable replacement for the JL. They don't have the staggered output like the JL, but that is really most useful for active setups anyways.

I'm not really sure what happened with it. It was great when I first got it (about 2 years ago). I had it under a false floor in an Acura and a guy had dropped a set of weights on top of the floor. Ever since then, the RCA acted funny like they wouldn't always catch the signal...I had to zip tie the RCA together so they wouldn't cut out. I had it checked at a shop in Austin but they said there was nothing wrong. Aside from that, I think the amp was fine. I was driving to Louisiana the other day with the HU on 23/30 which is normal for me and next thing I knew everything shut off (including the HU). I turned it back on and only the rear speakers were working and I could smell burnt electronics. So what happened exactly...I'm not sure.

I respect your opinion M5, so how do you feel about the Alpine PDX amps? or do you have an opinion on them?

I haven't bought any and would prefer to have a car where the size didn't matter to me as I'd rather run a standard a/b amplifier for my front stage. For sub duty I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend them; however, if you ask me why I want a car that will allow larger amps I cannot say that it is from anything I have tested or heard poorly about them. Just sort of an old school preference.

So what happened exactly...I'm not sure.

Why not open it up and take a look? Might be an easy fix.

As always, I appreciate the responses guys. M5, I see where you're coming from. I've never heard the PDX amps and size really isn't an issue (95 camry with pretty nice size trunk). It just seemed to fit the criteria I needed for the highs and mids. Ask for sound quality versus the JL...I'd like to hear the Alpine. The JL was a great amp and I have no complaints, but the same goes for the Sundown...although that route I'd probably have to go from word of mouth.

I likely will take a look at the JL when I get a chance...have a broken arm at the moment, so I can't really do much. But, after I open it up, if I plan to sell it, I'll let you know.

M5, you say the Sundown can replace the JL...I see you have the same amp, in my position would you scoop up another JL/get it fixed or go for the Sundown (considering the highs/mids involved)?