Sign in to follow this  
pherz1er

10" midbass in my kicks????

I have some peerless sls 10's I wanted to use for midbass in my next three way set up. But there is no way they are going into the doors of my car like I wanted. If I had power windows it would be no problem because the shaft for the window handle would not be in my way. So, instead I came up with an Idea to do some large kick pods that open up into a shallow false floor up front. Which brings us to my question????? Has anyone else heard of and or done something this drastic to get the proper air space for their speakers up front??? If so...Is it even worth it??

Thanks in advanced

I've heard it done, it can be amazing, but a concern would be where the midranges are going? If you can't find any place to put them closer on-axis, I'd put them in the kicks and figure something else out for the midbasses.

Heck, even with 8's you can trick most people into believing you have subs in there :)

I have hertz hsk 165 comps in the doors the tweeters are a little further than I would like from the mid (due to using holes from a previous owners install) and the 6.5's are silghtly tilted towards the drivers seat. The 10's can be mounted completely on axis if need be. what would you recomend???

Nothing wrong with having tweets far away from the mid, as long as it works in your vehicle.

The problem is that midbass is less directional than midrange frequencies, so if you can manage it at all, put the midrange on axis.

So I need to build some sort of custom door pods for the hsk mids??

Edited by pherz1er

Post a picture of your doors sometime. Maybe there's a way you can fit the SLS's in door pods :)

Pretty absurd to use a 6.5" mid with a 10" midbass. Anything larger than a 4" is a waste when you already have the lower octaves covered.

I can get a hold of the hertz hv100 4" pretty easily. I might go that route in the future. Thank you for the advice.

10's are still a go though.

The hertz HL 70 3" cone midrange is also an option. would a 3" or 4" be better for my application??

I am also open to suggestions of other mids that would out perform the ones I have mentioned

Edited by pherz1er

I didn't mean to poo poo the 10, I'd love to have a 10" midbass myself. :)

As for your question, I'd guess a 4" probably, although I haven't played with the SLS 10". The 8" is best used at highest to 250hz so I'd guess that the 10" won't even do that. A 3" can work if it will, but a 4" could be better. It depends on how on axis, what response you get out of those 10's and obviously how capable of a midrange. Preferably you should have as much of the audible range as possible coming from your mid.

I hate to thread jack, but could someone quickly explain on axis and off axis. Thanks.

Thanks for all of the replies guys.

ps:those hybrids look really nice!! But are way out of my price range:(

Lots of other options, mounting locations and aiming?

I was thinking about some door pods. Since they are not built yet, aiming can be whatever I choose. Another route is to build them into a smaller chamber next to the 10" in the kick panels. What do you think would yield the best results?

If you can, I'd either put the mids in the dash or in the kicks. Depends a bit on the car though, but I can't say that the door is anywhere near my favorite location.

The kicks sound like the best idea but I'm already losing a lot of foot room with the 10's being mounted there.

What kind of mounting/aiming would you recommend if they are installed in the dash????