pherz1er

pherz1er's build log.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my system and figured why not post a few pics.

Any reasonable suggestions would be most appreciated.

my system will be installed in my P.O.S. 02 cavalier and will consist of

1-An audiocontrol eqx

1- set hertz hsk 165 comps

1 pair of 10" peerless sls (for midbass)

3- rockford fosgate 25th anniversary punch 150's

and a pair of Custom SSA Icon 15's(awaiting recones at the momment.:()

So far I have made some mounting brackets for the hertz mids and my amp rack.

more pics and updates will follow but I don't have alot of time to work on my car

so finishing this will be slow going.

Here is how I made my brackets.

IMG_21561.jpg

IMG_21571.jpg

IMG_21611.jpg

IMG_21651.jpg

The green marks the angle I want cut from the bracket

IMG_21661.jpg

IMG_21681.jpg

IMG_21691.jpg

IMG_21711.jpg

here's the comps.

IMG_21701.jpg

Edited by pherz1er

The amp rack was finished before I decided to post this stuff up so the best I can do is show how it is constructed.:(

IMG_21781.jpg

IMG_21771.jpg

IMG_21761.jpg

IMG_21751.jpg

0305CL_AttiStudeRS01_z-1.jpg

IMG_21091.jpg

IMG_21101.jpg

IMG_21111.jpg

Passenger side.

knu Konceptz 12 ga. wire

IMG_21791.jpg

IMG_21811.jpg

IMG_21821.jpg

4 lbs. of black non-drying clay

IMG_21831.jpg

IMG_21841.jpg

The little nylon spacers are to keep the dust cap from hitting the door panel.(for some reason it sticks out a little further than the mounting flange

IMG_21891.jpg

IMG_21921.jpg

I also added some 1/2" foam to the inside of the door panels (sorry no pics).

So far the doors seem pretty solid.:D

3 layers of deadening some clay and 1/2" foam on the back of the door panel.

IMG_21951.jpg

IMG_21971.jpg

IMG_21981.jpg

IMG_21991.jpg

IMG_22011.jpg

Edited by pherz1er

subs:

First, I taped off the the top plate of the motor to avoid anything getting in the VC gap.

Then I went to town on the back of the motor. (This started out rough.kind of like FI motors).

I sanded it smooth then hit it with 400 grit before I applied the metal etching primer.

IMG_22161.jpg

painted the motor black and sanded all 12 spokes with 120,220,320,400,600,1000,and 2000 grit sand paper.

IMG_22041.jpg

After the 2000 grit wet sand I polished them with mothers aluminum polish and a dremel tool.

IMG_22071.jpg

Then instead of masking the spokes I applied a very thin coat of hand soap to the polished areas and let it dry. This is so the paint will wash off those areas after the paint has dried.(see pics).

IMG_22101.jpg

Here's pics of the finished product after a coat of wax. One down... One more to go.

And yes...they will be mounted inverted.

IMG_22141.jpg

IMG_22151.jpg

I got all the glue off of the surround and spider landings.

IMG_22171.jpg[/

I removed all of my interior and old wiring so I could start on the deadening. I finished 3 layers on the fire wall, floor pan and under the rear seats but the trunk and roof still need to be done. I also laid down some 1/2" foam(the same stuff I used on the doors). I made sure to test fit the carpet, seats and panels before I glued it down so I would know where to leave the foam out to avoid fitment problems (This is why it looks patchy).

I wasn't really happy with the way the foam turned out, but I'm sure it will do the job just fine.

my old wires. I plan to reuse most of the wiring with the exception of a few things.

35.jpg

fyi...The center chanel is from the previous system and will not be staying.

36.jpg

foam

37.jpg

prep

38.jpg

spray adhesive

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

43.jpg

The seat is back in because this is my daily driver and I will not have time to finish today.

44.jpg

I had a scrap piece of aluminum laying around so I decided to use it to make a little shelf to hold up my under hood fuse.

It still needs some sanding/finishing work and haven't made brackets yet, but here's some pics just to give you the idea.

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

Edited by pherz1er

techflex and heat shrink-

The color I picked is called carbon which is half black and half clear.

heres some pics.

Wire,techflex and my cheapo hot knife.

54.jpg

Cut(flexo recomends the use of a hot knife so this stuff does not fray. Mine sucks BTW).

55.jpg

Shrink

56-1.jpg

Done

57.jpg

I finished most of my power wire(ran out of heat shrink). Now I just have to do the rca's and speaker wire.

58.jpg

I plan to manage all of the wire with cable tie mounting pads atached with both the adhesive backing and trim screws.

59.jpg

btw:Sorry for posting every small detail that most could care less about.

Just trying to make the thread as complete as possible

Here's a pic of the second sub. I finished painting the magnet(still needs to be buffed out). Now I just have to polish the spokes and paint the basket.

I'm hoping to get these done soon.

65.jpg

Here's the fuse mount polished/sanded. its ready for paint.

60.jpg

62.jpg

The fuse holder mount now matches the subs.:)

64.jpg[/

decided to yank out my old yellow top a clean it up a bit(The wiring looks pretty good so I could not bring my self to just leave it). I put it in the car when I bought it and I had not touched it since. Its still going strong after almost 6 years and I probably will not replace it until I have to.

I'm hoping to pick up a couple more for the trunk in the near future.

Before

66.jpg

After: I <3 magic erasers

67.jpg

Edited by pherz1er

I made a bracket out of mild steel and painted it so I could mount the fuse holder and ran some wire.

Heres some pics of the fuse mount and battery installed. The air filter should tuck right under the fuse holder.

72.jpg

73.jpg

Heres the best shot I could get of the bracket .

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

My old air filter fits pretty good but it needs to be replaced soon(theres only about an inch or so in between the fuse and filter).

78.jpg

next up will be the big 3

Edited by pherz1er

The peerless sls 10's came in the mail today:)Time to get started on the kicks!

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

Edited by pherz1er

How old is the build log, because it seems I've seen this before.

I originally posted this on CA.com but the thread had become cluttered so I though it was time to redo it and post it up here.It seems there is alot of knowledgable people on SSA and I could benifit from having it here.

Edited by pherz1er

I thought this looked familiar.

It looks really nice, I can appreciate the attention to detail you put into this.

Edit: I didn't mean anything by seeing this previously, I just thought it was familiar.

Edited by kbkid

those mounting brackets gave me an idea for when i try to install new speakers in my doors. how did u cut the angle that u masked off?

I would not recommend doing it the way I did. I stood it up on end and cut it(very carefully)on a bandsaw.

FYI:There is a guy on ebay that sells angled mdf rings if you do not want to chance losing your fingers.haha

lol i did that with some adapter for my dad's truck (straight cut to splint a piece of 3/4" mdf in half). i dont think our band saw is tall enough to do anything over 6"... ohya very dangerous!!!

Finally got my EQX today. Its an older model but seems to be in perfect shape and all controls are the same as the current model. I traded a couple video games and some 6x9's for it locally:)

87.jpg

where would i get some of that foam you used. for the doors/floor?

I'm not sure, I got mine from my work. It was remnants of a roll that they were finished using.

I'm still trying to get my boss to get me a quote on some smaller rolls of it for some friends.

When I find out the cost and where to get it I will post it up here.

sounds good. i just looking at some sound deadening options... im thinking 40 sqr foot of damplifier for the doors.... i dont think car needs much more money put into it. especially since im unsure if the car will last. the engine is in great shape but the tranny maybe on its way out... not sure what ill do when that happens. so puting 200 bucks worth of damplifer in it isn't very appealing. with the trunk already deadened already. atleast i can take the rest of my equipment out.

Edited by lithium