Sign in to follow this  
nocomp1

bandpass boxes

Does anybody run bandpass boxes and if so, what subs are good to run in that type of enclosure?

I quit running bandpass boxes awhile back because I thought they hold in wayyyy to much sound....

Hold in too much sound? What do you mean by that? Bandpass boxes are more efficient than ported or sealed, so they will get louder. But the tradeoff is usually a smaller playable frequency range. So it depends on what you mean by hold in sound.

Hold in too much sound? What do you mean by that? Bandpass boxes are more efficient than ported or sealed, so they will get louder. But the tradeoff is usually a smaller playable frequency range. So it depends on what you mean by hold in sound.

So as far as a bass competition goes would it better to run a ported enclosure or a bandpass?

Do you care to explain playable frequency range for me?

the Range of Freq: a given type of Box can reproduce /

sealed boxs do well from 45Hz up^^^ help the sub take a lil more power using the back pressure in the boxx /

Ported boxxs let you get more range & tune to the Freq: you desire has a Wide roll off on both ends of the Center Freq: /

BanPass Boxxs use a Sealed smaller chamber & a Larger Ported chamber to get the most outta the sub but has a limited Freq: range - one song will Slammmm and the next you wouldent know you had a sub installed because the notes are out of the Range that the box can reproduce...

I hope i got this correct...

Ported boxxs let you get more range & tune to the Freq:

Sealed enclosures will have a wider bandwidth than ported...for both the LP crossover point & driver inductance will be the determining factor moreso than the enclosure...

BanPass Boxxs use a Sealed smaller chamber & a Larger Ported chamber to get the most outta the sub but has a limited Freq: range

and you can also do a 6th order bandpass porting both the high tuned and low tuned chamber.... giving you a wider range

As you go up in orders, the efficiency of the enclosure increases, but bandwidth decreases. That's just how filters work :)

okay well I want alot of bass...low bass you can hear a mile away but yet I like to hear my lyrics also. would be kool to enter a bass competition and actually place top 5 or better then on the way home or wherever maybe have some sort of remote/toggle to where the stereo isnt beating so low, so i can here the lyrics....maybe.... hopefully? so far my ideas are running an alpine deck, 1 15" FI Q sub, JBL 1200.1db amplifier, and maybe an extra batt as well as an alt upgrade? how does this sound? should I run a ported or bandpass box?

okay well I want alot of bass...low bass you can hear a mile away but yet I like to hear my lyrics also. would be kool to enter a bass competition and actually place top 5 or better then on the way home or wherever maybe have some sort of remote/toggle to where the stereo isnt beating so low, so i can here the lyrics....maybe.... hopefully? so far my ideas are running an alpine deck, 1 15" FI Q sub, JBL 1200.1db amplifier, and maybe an extra batt as well as an alt upgrade? how does this sound? should I run a ported or bandpass box?

ooo you sound like a FOOL...... or even a tool.... but NOT cool.

if your goals in car audio are to piss people off for miles away then you should slap your self.

you would wanna use a remote gain to turn your sub down when not wanting full output... or even nice h/u's have sub controls.

i stoped using band pass box's in the 90's.... i like more range... but a band pass can play those few notes like no other box.

if your goals in car audio are to piss people off for miles away then you should slap your self.

you would wanna use a remote gain to turn your sub down when not wanting full output... or even nice h/u's have sub controls.

i stoped using band pass box's in the 90's.... i like more range... but a band pass can play those few notes like no other box.

bro im not a professional as I said earlier in this post and am trying to explain my goals the best I can...thanks for the advice but as far as the names and such I could do without... im a straight up guy and all I am doing is asking for advice, not criticism.

o you mean fool.. and tool.... lol no those are descriptive nouns

dousche... <~~~ that was your idea of name calling....

some places you could say i want people to hear me from a mile away.. and people would think thats cool....

NOT here.

try somthing like...

i want tons of lows, and i wanna be able to provide party sound with my car!... or what ever shake it up a bit...

o you mean fool.. and tool.... lol no those are descriptive nouns

dousche... <~~~ that was your idea of name calling....

lol okay fair enough bro

just port it at like 33

And what do lyrics have to do with subwoofers ?

Subs are not ment to play Voices,,,

if you can hear someone singing through the subs

you have the crossover set Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too High

and will sound like :bull:

I think he just meant he doesn't want the sub's level to overpower the interior speakers so that he could still hear them.

I think he just meant he doesn't want the sub's level to overpower the interior speakers so that he could still hear them.

correct

Unless you're very good at designing boxes and then building them to exact specification, don't bother with a bandpass setup.

As far as the sound from a bandpass, there are a lot of trade-offs that can be made in the design to tailor the box to a specific goal. You can really narrow the passband to boost efficiency. You can give up efficiency for a broader, flat pass band. You can tweak it some more to get good transient response.

Several things to consider: All prefab bandpass boxes sound like crap unless they are competently designed with a very specific sub in mind. Because of the acoustic lowpass filter present in a bandpass system and the fact that you should still use a lowpass filter to cut out of band noise, the resulting upper end roll-off is extremely steep. This requires some serious midbass presence to get the sub blended into the rest of hte system smoothly. Bandpass systems can be more efficient than ported systems using the same sub, however that doesn't mean that they have the potential to get louder if there is ample power available. Fact is that bandpass setups put more stress on the driver and it is very likely it will shred itself before you know it with a power level that wouldn't bother the sub in a ported setup.

As you go up in orders, the efficiency of the enclosure increases, but bandwidth decreases. That's just how filters work :)

This rule of thumb doesn't apply to ported boxes vs sealed. Above tuning the ported enclosure "looks" sealed and hence the HF behavior is the same as a sealed box. On the low end the bandwidth is extended by the additional resonance of the port/box. Thus the total bandwidth is greater, even though you've added an additional resonance.

bro im not a professional as I said earlier in this post and am trying to explain my goals the best I can...thanks for the advice but as far as the names and such I could do without... im a straight up guy and all I am doing is asking for advice, not criticism.

The drawback with bandpass boxes is the fact they are spacehogs. The specs are completely different for this application and the range is very limited. They are great for burping but outside of that all you would have is a huge heavy fart cannon. You are better off using a vented box. It saves space and gives you much more flexibility.

Edited by mdexxxiv