Sign in to follow this  
smokinkane

mj18 to ixl18 need some amperage help

Hey guys, I have a brother that I installed an mj18 with a buttkicker silent subwoofer amp for almost 2 years ago. It has been great for him but now he is ready to upgrade, currently since the mj18 is 4ohm the amp is running 4ohm. What I would like to do is keep the amp, and 3.6-3.8cf box and replace the mj18 with an ixl18, but I realize its a 2+2voicecoil config. So the buttkicker is 2ohm stable, but I have read that if an amp is 2ohm stable then it will be 1ohm stable as well is there any truth to this? Also the box is sealed, and I wondered how the ixl would do in the sealed box at 3.6cf. We really like the price point for what the ixl can do. The only other option I have is I have another buttkicker amp, could I just put 1amp per 1coil? I don't have any experience in doing that, so that is why I'm asking. If there is another 2ohm 18, that is in the around 300.00 price range, and sounds great let me know. Thanks for the help

I would not suggest running multiple amps to a single driver for daily usage like this. As for the amp itself, we cannot help much with out knowing the model number.

Model: BKA-800-SSW

Specs as listed from various websites:

800w X 1 At 2 Ohms400w X 2 At 4 Ohms200w Rms At 4 Ohmshigh/low Pass Filtersvariable Bass Boost9 5/8 W X 1 7/8 H X 13 1/8 Ddesigned Specifically For Buttkicker Silent Subwoofer

Are you tring to maximize your amp? if you just want to keep running 400 watts @ 4 ohm's just wire the IXL in series and you will have a 4 ohm load.

I know we could just leave the amp at 2ohm and run the ixl in series but would it get louder than the mj18 in the same box with the same power?

I know we could just leave the amp at 2ohm and run the ixl in series but would it get louder than the mj18 in the same box with the same power?

With everything being the same, chances are you will not notice an increase. You would however notice bass output to be slightly "heavier" with the IXL. Putting this into perspective:

- MJ-18 is slightly more efficient than the IXL; +1 for MJ

- IXL will exhibit a higher amplitude in its frequency response since you are placing it in a box that is smaller than it should be; +1 for IXL

- If you like a nice, more refined bass; +1 for MJ

- If you like heavy-hitting more profound bass; +1 for IXL

Hope this helps you.

m

Thanks for the info Mark, I had another thought, do you have passive radiators of the MJ that might be a better solution for a few extra DB's. Also we could give the MJ like 600-700watts instead of the 400rms it gets now. I wish he just had the cf for 2 MJ's then I could just run the amp 2ohm and be good, but that its an option. If you don't have an PR's do you know something that would work well for the MJ? Thanks for all the help.

Funny you should mention PR's... I just updated the website with some PR info. Pricing will be decent as always and I can custom tune it for you if you wish.

m

My guess is that buttkicker will die at 1ohm.

And your assumption that a 2ohm stable amp will work at 1ohm's is far from right. There are some, but it is not the norm.

Funny you should mention PR's... I just updated the website with some PR info. Pricing will be decent as always and I can custom tune it for you if you wish.

m

Now if you guys were to make amps, we'd be all set.

You always use a PR with an otherwise sealed box.

Few weeks at best as I'm still running tests on it.

m