Sign in to follow this  
jeepbassmonkey

dp-21 is finally in!

well today started with my attendance to the MCPON (master chief petty officer of the navy) speech in the morning. but then all was said and done and i had received comfirmation that the sub was delivered (bout a week ago) and there it was in the post office sitting in a huge box. since navigating through the ship is hard enough i enlisted some help from my buddy to help me haul it up and around several decks. then after much sweating and cursing the box was finally shoved in the back seat of my faithful bucket (not the car it's going into). then i get home and ever so delicately slice the tape off. and then my jaw dropped. it wasn't soon i had a multimeter in my hand to check if the sub was still ok cause the box didn't look like it was in very good condition. then a reading of 3.1 on both coils calmed me down. time for the build to begin!

l_6a0b8183839541d6a3e864d30cb7718d.jpg

Edited by kevin

good to see you on land, and with a sexy sub in your hand

not to sound negative but i've been on land 99% of the 2 years i've been in. even though i'm in a sea intensive rate my ship doesn't see much sea action (mostly cause it brakes down almost every time we go out). so i spend my time working on cars and then my audio system. i just ripped out everything and bought all the wood i need (good thing home depot just opened here not to long ago and they cut wood too!). going to start putting together the box tomarrow after i fix my mess up (stupid 26 1/4 instead of 26 1/2). can't wait to get some life into this thing!

like i said i took a trip to home depot. dimensions are as follows:

width 36

height 28

depth 25

port width 7

port length 17.25

port height 26.5

i will be running a earthquake phd5000w as much as i don't want to. i might upgrade to a kicker 2500. just so hard to get stuff out here. still waiting on my components to get in. shop is kinda shady as of late.

Looks awesome man! Let us know how you like it! And, btw- thanks for all you do for us.. even if you do stick around the home front. nothing but respect for the armed forces.

thanks and we all appreciate all of you who support. though i do stick around the home front ( if you consider Guam home front) my role is to service the submarines stationed here. it's a pretty sweet deal cause i don't like to be at sea ( i know i know why did i join the navy...) and i get stupid sea sick but i love hitting ports like everyone else. only been to russia (first foreign port), japan (alright but couldn't find a car audio shop worth a look), saipan (the real chamorros), and lastly hong kong (bad ass is all i have to say). i'll take pictures of the box build but i have to change the oil first (been way to long). it's night here and i've had a long week.

Dude, if those measurements are correct, that box is way the hell too big......esp. for the power level that you will be running. We recommend 7.5-10 cubes for the 21" DP..........but do as you wish :)

well if the box is too big then he should lower the power and sit back relax as his low rip his head apart

Yes. My main point was that at 3000 watts, a 14 cubic foot box is going to cause that sub to overheat. He either needs to lower the box size or power, or......just be very careful!

Yes. My main point was that at 3000 watts, a 14 cubic foot box is going to cause that sub to overheat. He either needs to lower the box size or power, or......just be very careful!

if using one layer of .75" material his box is right at ten cubes after displacment of the woofer and port....

your calculation was gross external volume.....

Yes, I just calculated the numbers he put up there for his gross box volume..........so I guess he will be fine :) Still alot of power though

Glad it got there safe!

so with 2 21's and 3k going to each will it be able to work in 12cubes with 3 8inch round ports tuned to 35hz(after port and sub displacement)

We recommend 7.5 per sub, as stated before, with a minimum of 90" of port. I am sure you can go lower than recommended and be just fine, but the drivers will not be in their optimal enclosure.

well the box volume is about 9.367 cube with 185.5 sq in of port. oh and yea the packing was well done for the shipping of the sub. i was surprised to see so much. still need to find a sticker that says my sub can eat yours though... this is just a practice box though. i've only built boxes for 6.5s so i'm hoping this will turn out good. i might add some accumat (crap i have left over from the deadening) to further dampen the box.

Where did people get this idea that the 21DP needs 3000 watts? Seriously, it does not make any sense.

same motor folks......... same rating

well it's done and i think i made the port just big enough cause i can fit my whole head in it! just have to rewire the second battery and all my amps back in. sucks it takes like 30 mins to take everything apart but takes alot more time to put it all back in! pictures comming soon and maybe a vid!

well it's done and i think i made the port just big enough cause i can fit my whole head in it! just have to rewire the second battery and all my amps back in. sucks it takes like 30 mins to take everything apart but takes alot more time to put it all back in! pictures comming soon and maybe a vid!

Are you done yet? Its been like 2 hours....yeah I been lurkin and watchin..... can't wait for teh vids and pics.....

well it got all gloomy and rainy like and i don't have a garage so i scrapped it for the night. it was raining so hard on the way back from getting the terminal cup was doing bout 15 in a 45. good thing i changed my tires as the stock ones used to skid all over the place. need good tires here in guam. should have at least pics in about 11-12 hours from this post.

well i'm finally done and might i say wow! only cranked it bout 1/2 way and i'm pleased on the sound except i get a kinda warble sound on the higher end of the frequancy. vid will come once i tie everything down and park outside of my neighborhood (military housing so military rules sigh).

l_89169c491f6640fa934e4304bcb88975.jpg

l_3348150b4d12407e9badcbfbe380614a.jpg