Well it was probably a waste of time / money but here's the new toy to test out... suppose to handle 17 volts and do 5k++watts...

we'll see... I'll be doing some bench testing this week

(and yes just testing I have no intention of keeping the amp, unless it suprises me)

some pics

DSCN2670.jpg

Edited by rushnrun

nice guts what it is.

DSCN2669.jpg

DSCN2668.jpg

next to the zx 2500..... I'll get it opened up for comparison

It's a Clif Designs amp... I don't remember the modle number. It's the biggest one they make.

I use to run the ANABA family when I couldn't afford "good stuff" so I figured I'd "go back to my roots" :)

it's more for testing than anything. I'll be throwing it on a 2 or 4 of clif's best spl 15's, again I don't know the modle numbers... they're just sitting in the living room :)

btw... this stuff isn't cheap (in price) like it use to be...

DANGER Will Robinson!

DANGER Will Robinson!

pretty queer huh? :) there's nothing written anywhere else on the board.. no name brand no serial not anything.. just Danger :)

other than that the board is suprisingly clean. I don't see anything that looks like an oops...

the only thing I see that could be a potential problem is the 4ga wire... doesn't look to be a very good qaulity(looks like coarse 8 gauge with a thick insulator) the wire itself doesn't feel very secure... the solder joint is good but just right after the solder the cable wiggles very freely.... I figure after enough vibration that'll eventually lead to broken wire... I'll probably get her held down a little better.

the other thing I'm not liking is the phillips head set screws.. they're a soft metal and will strip easily... especially when cranking down on 0 gauge.. I'll probably make a run to the hardware store and pick up a set of allen heads for it..

*** sorry I forgot there are some random numbers on the board.. they're not the serial... probably the part number of the board....?

it claims .5ohm stability test that to. it doesnt give a power rating for .5ohm though so try testing that. for a thousand dollars if it does close to rated power and is decently reliable it would make a nice comp amp. it also doesnt tell if its ratings are at 17v or 14v im guessing 17 but i would like actual for both.

first I'll be testing 12v at 4,2,1 and .5 ohms.. I assume all ratings are at 17 volts, I'll be testing output at 60hz

hopefully I'll have some numbers tomarrow. tonight I've got to get the bench set back up.. It's been a while since I've done any testing

plus I traded off the mazda and the civic is gutted .. so I don't have a car to do a quick test in :( so I have to do all testing on the bench.. I'll be using 4 industrial acid filled batteries that float at 13.3v a cheap soundstream dvd/cd player for signal, or maybe just the laptop and a line driver.... (with selling off the mazda and gutting the civic I sold all my good decks.. and most of the equipment that was in them... now I've got to use some b/s :) )

Another one. :(

On it. :)

well my batteries were dead they've been on trickle for the past 24hrs.. hopefully they come back... they were resting at 11.4 :/

Should have some 4 ohm numbers tomorrow.

Edited by rushnrun

numbers will be up tonight, leaving work early today to do some testing.

Yesterday the g/f made me pay attention to her. Gotta keep the female happy

She's working so no interuptions tonight. :)

darn.... batts are junk,

well before all the batts gave up (amp shut down on low voltage right away dropped from 12.3 to less than 10...) it only did 450 watts @ 4 ohm with 0%gain on about 1 volt of input... not a good number to go off of being it only played breifly... I've got my other set of batts on the charger now.

well got a decent number after swapping out batts..

did 720watts at 4.3ohm (resting) the input voltage was 12.3 and dropped to 11.9-12.1 while reading the output..

THESE ARE ESTIMATES :

so maybe 840 at 14v

and roughly 1000 at 17v....

The woofer is a concept PT 12 D2 wired up at 4, at the terminals it's 4.3ohm, the box is 1.5 cubes ported @35hz... so my ohm reading may be way wrong due to impeadence rise..

Next an L5 10 in .75 sealed at 2 ohm... results shortly... don't know if the l5 will take it..

well 805 at 2 ohm on the l5 10..... the 10 sounds like it'll come apart at 600 watts... so output is possibly restricted by woofer's ability..